The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.25 ( +0.12 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Glasses from Costco?
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: February 20, 2012 05:08PM
Are their exams accurate?

Anybody ever had them make their lenses and been unsatisfied?

Looking at progressive lenses. There are 4 quality levels available, Costco only carries the first 3, is going to a Lenscrafters type place worth the extra to get the top grade?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Glasses from Costco?
Posted by: haikuman
Date: February 20, 2012 05:11PM
I have had good results with the Maui Costco. pirate smiley

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: lost in space
Date: February 20, 2012 05:16PM
I get along best with Zeiss for my progressives, which Costco doesn't carry, but I used them for my single-vision computer glasses and they were good. Lot cheaper too. Frame selection is pretty lame though.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 20, 2012 05:17PM
IIRC, Costco's eye guys are independent contractors that abide by Costco's guidelines. Usually good, if they get a clunker, they're gone pretty quick, so odds definitely in your favor. Progressives have minor differences in configuration that can have major impact on how well you can see, or not see... It's more a matter of eye comfort than price, or level; you simply gotta get what works best for you. Costco doesn't have as big a frame selection as some other places, so take that into consideration, but they will make lenses for your frames for a slight add'l charge. Good luck.

///
Posted by: Shakes
Date: February 20, 2012 06:09PM
I've never gotten an exam there but our whole family gets their glasses there. Limited selection but hey, it's way cheaper. The only time I was dissatisfied was when I was having problems with some frames I bought and wore for over 2 years. They remade the lens and gave me new frames. I guess I wasn't too disatisfied after that.
Posted by: vision63
Date: February 20, 2012 06:49PM
I've used Dr. Nosoff at Costco in Richmond, CA (bay area) for over a decade. He's great. I have on progressives now. I don't know optical details though.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 20, 2012 07:23PM
Don't get progressives from Costco. I went that route and quickly learned that the lenses they offer are not the greatest quality. The technician who was helping me basically said in so many words.

I can't fault their service - after the progressives I got didn't work out, they happily replaced them with single-vision lenses which are OK. Again - not the best you can get but adequate.

Posted by: vicrock
Date: February 20, 2012 07:31PM
Wearing Costco progressives as we speak and have for the last 8 or 9 years - never a problem.

Their warranty is top notch - I would recommend them to anyone.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 20, 2012 07:54PM
vicrock
Wearing Costco progressives as we speak and have for the last 8 or 9 years - never a problem.

Their warranty is top notch - I would recommend them to anyone.

agree smiley been wearing progressives from them for years.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: February 20, 2012 08:40PM
Another negative vote for Costco progressives. Be very careful about what you get. The cheap ones are not that good if you have a strong prescription.

in tha 510.
Posted by: stephen
Date: February 20, 2012 08:58PM
Did it once, no problems.
Date: February 20, 2012 09:22PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Another negative vote for Costco progressives. Be very careful about what you get. The cheap ones are not that good if you have a strong prescription.

I should have mentioned that I have a difficult prescription with lots of astigmatism.

So, if you have something beyond a straightforward prescription, don't get Progressives from Costco.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 20, 2012 09:33PM
Not a Costco user, but very happy with our local Sam's club. Progressives too.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 20, 2012 11:42PM
Uncle Wig
Filliam H. Muffman

I should have mentioned that I have a difficult prescription with lots of astigmatism.

So, if you have something beyond a straightforward prescription, don't get Progressives from Costco.

I suspect that would be a fair assessment. The optometrists working there are contractors. Could be good, could be bad. I worked with a good one at the North Seattle location. She gave me some disposable contacts to try out to see if the new prescription would work for me. It gave me a few days to try before I bought. That's taking care of the customer.

If you have really oddball issues, they might not be the place to go, unless you get a great optometrist who will work with you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2012 11:43PM by Racer X.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 21, 2012 02:35AM
Im a 10+ year costco user as well -- same eye doc for all those years and always very professional.

I have heavy astigmatism, no issues. I can only report on single vision lenses, no bifocals, yet.

different costcos have different lenses, shop several if you have them close by

----

The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs [www.fakesteve.net]

Posted by: modelamac
Date: February 21, 2012 06:23AM
Yes

Yes

Don't know. I bought from Costco.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mavericks.
Posted by: thermarest
Date: February 21, 2012 08:56AM
Re: Lenscrafters: read this for a primer on the monopolist parent company Luxottica and their price gouging. I doubt you'll get a better product, and I know for sure you'll pay heavily for what you do get.
[glassyeyes.blogspot.com]

I get my exams at Costco but haven't bought glasses there. I stumbled on that blog a few years ago and have bought about 8 different pair of glasses online. When I get a pair I don't like all that much, I put them in the car or whatever as a spare. My last order was 2 pairs for $25
Posted by: thermarest
Date: February 21, 2012 09:24AM
FWIW, [www.eyebuydirect.com] is having a buy one get one sale currently. At $20 or $40 for two pair, little to be lost and potentially much to be gained. I wasn't sure if they had progressives but they do.
Date: February 21, 2012 02:11PM
thermarest
Re: Lenscrafters: read this for a primer on the monopolist parent company Luxottica and their price gouging. I doubt you'll get a better product, and I know for sure you'll pay heavily for what you do get.
[glassyeyes.blogspot.com]

Good info to have, I will avoid them.
Date: February 21, 2012 02:16PM
Thanks everybody. Looks like satisfaction with Costco is about the same- certainly no worse- than the "outside world."
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 21, 2012 02:32PM
Joey,

You can avoid them but then you have to avoid Luxottica's primary competitor Safilo Group S.p.A.. If Luxottica doesn't make the frames for A company, you'll find they are likely made by Safilo Group S.p.A. These companies produce frames for the vast majority of brands. I find it interesting the blog doesn't appear to mention Safilo Group S.p.A. and pushes the shops on its web site.

Robert
Date: February 22, 2012 12:08AM
Joey Cupcakes
Thanks everybody. Looks like satisfaction with Costco is about the same- certainly no worse- than the "outside world."

That's true because there really isn't any difference between Costco optical and the "outside world." At least not in terms of the product they offer. It's not like you're getting secret Costco lens blanks: it's the same stuff you buy anywhere else. It's just that Costco doesn't really offer a high-end product, and that's what makes them appear cheaper.

There is the Costco service policy though, and I can't fault that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 12:09AM by Uncle Wig.
Date: February 22, 2012 12:44PM
Uncle Wig
Joey Cupcakes

That's true because there really isn't any difference between Costco optical and the "outside world." At least not in terms of the product they offer. It's not like you're getting secret Costco lens blanks: it's the same stuff you buy anywhere else. It's just that Costco doesn't really offer a high-end product, and that's what makes them appear cheaper.

There is the Costco service policy though, and I can't fault that!

From what I've been able to put together, there are 4 quality levels of progressive lenses available. Costco sells the first three making their top level similar to others' next-to-top level. If that level is good enough for you, savings based on that comparison will be about $80. Plus the exam (done by a doctor with excellent Yelp feedback here in SF) is about 35-40% cheaper. Sounds like decent savings to me (though I might want to bring in 3rd party frames).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login