advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dow around 13000; how goes your retirement planning?
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 24, 2012 12:50PM
I haven't checked recently, but I bet my accounts are back to near their levels pre crash.

How about you? Are you still in the stock market with your retirement savings ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dow around 13000; how goes your retirement planning?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 24, 2012 12:52PM
Roth in at 13.3K 2 yrs ago so still down for that investment but previous years' Roths are all up. Dunno where I got in last year…
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 24, 2012 12:57PM
same as before

stay the course

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 24, 2012 12:58PM
I did a little realigning over the last couple years... I've ended up ahead of where I was in '08... but not by a huge amount.

The whole stock market has been on sale for the last couple years... so now that the sale is ending, I'm doing OK for having shopped wisely.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 24, 2012 01:05PM
I've been on a buying binge...I'll be scaling back a bit now. I've done well with my investments over the recession. It's been a gluttonous couple of years for my buying, but its time to scale back to normal levels again.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 24, 2012 01:08PM
not retirement but my son's 529, which had dipped to the point where i was about to lose part of the base investment, is now back up to slightly above where it was when the recession hit which was 1/3 above the investment. he starts college in the fall. hope the economy continues to improve or at least holds for the next 4 years.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: IronMac
Date: February 24, 2012 01:08PM
AAPL makes up the VAST bulk of my investments. It's been that way since the early 2000s. As I've said before, no amount of what I am able to contribute can keep pace with its rise in value.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: February 24, 2012 01:18PM
AAPL is now nearly half of my IRA's value. I am very grateful to SJ. Time to re-balance?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 24, 2012 01:20PM
Better now. Much better.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 24, 2012 01:32PM
IronMac
AAPL makes up the VAST bulk of my investments. It's been that way since the early 2000s. As I've said before, no amount of what I am able to contribute can keep pace with its rise in value.

you've made good on what is generally considered a terrible idea.

personally, i can't invest in apple because they're the home team. i'd dump money into them no matter what.

Posted by: haikuman
Date: February 24, 2012 01:53PM
n/m

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2012 01:54PM by haikuman.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: February 24, 2012 02:01PM
neophyte
AAPL is now nearly half of my IRA's value. I am very grateful to SJ. Time to re-balance?

I wouldn't, not with AAPL. I did that in the late '90s when AAPL was on a rise, put it into a couple of other companies, one of which almost doubled in price but the other took a nosedive. If I had kept what I took out of AAPL over the years in order to "re-balance" I'd be much further along in my retirement savings.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: February 24, 2012 02:04PM
IronMac
neophyte

I wouldn't, not with AAPL. I did that in the late '90s when AAPL was on a rise, put it into a couple of other companies, one of which almost doubled in price but the other took a nosedive. If I had kept what I took out of AAPL over the years in order to "re-balance" I'd be much further along in my retirement savings.

I agree. AAPL represents a disproportionate percent of my investments, but only because its done so well. If I had invested my money equally, AAPL would represent well over 99% of my investment by value and I'd be extremely wealthy. Unfortunately I didn't and I'm not.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 24, 2012 02:21PM
I'm not going to give anything called investment advice.

But when it comes to Apple, I think it's safe to say that none of the standard rules apply. It is a BIG company, but none of its products are in a saturating market except maybe the iPod. The Mac has plenty of headroom with its 10% market share, ditto on the iPhone with its 20% or so market share. The iPad may have 60% of market share, but that market is exploding - Apple could go to 30% market share in large tablets and still be making a ton of money.

Even if they stumble out of the gates with an iTV device, their momentum with iPhone, iPad and Mac and cash horde means no major negative surprises for several years to come.

My assessment is Apple is still a growth stock despite its current position as one of the most valuable companies in the world. I'm kicking myself I did not buy in when it recently hit $380 a share.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 24, 2012 02:34PM
I'd love to be able to buy more AAPL, but at $520/share I could afford maybe 1 share, but I'd have to live off of Top Ramen for the rest of the month to do that.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 24, 2012 02:46PM
I just surpassed my previous high which was in 2010. I'm not where I would have been obviously if the market hadn't crashed, but I held my own and am well situated tax wise for the future. I wish I had gone heavier into apple, but that is hindsight (which always makes investing easier).

With just modest gains to keep up with inflation during the next few years, I'm set for retirement.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: decay
Date: February 24, 2012 02:48PM
nada.

---
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: February 24, 2012 03:06PM
I don't have much in stocks for retirement, what I call milk and egg money in mutual funds, that will provide a tad more than milk/eggs. We did play with stocks a few years ago, not much $. I bought some penny stock that has about gone to zero, wife bought Tivo, made a tad, then I sold the Tivo, bought Apple - GREAT move!! This is not retirement money, just a little we had to not worry about if we lost it. My problem has been until recently I didn't know how to buy stocks online. Maybe I was looking before online trading was even available - point is - I WANTED to buy Apple stock way back when it was $13 per share...
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 24, 2012 03:27PM
Planning???

Retirement?

cartman smiley

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 24, 2012 03:42PM
I'll tell you when I retire
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 24, 2012 03:53PM
AllGold
Planning???

Retirement?

cartman smiley

Eggsactly.
==

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 24, 2012 04:10PM
We are doomed.
Posted by: decay
Date: February 24, 2012 04:11PM
This stock more than $500, and it’s not Apple

[www.marketwatch.com]

---
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 24, 2012 05:04PM
The thing anyone with stocks needs to remember is that it's not real money until you cash it out.

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 24, 2012 05:19PM
I can't complain. Started buying AAPL way back in 2000. My other stock picks, well, let's just say they weren't quite as prosperous. It certainly has eased my fears about retiring as a pauper.

AAPL been berry, berry good to Rick-o.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: vicrock
Date: February 24, 2012 09:44PM
Still buying lottery tickets.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 24, 2012 10:29PM
vicrock
Still buying lottery tickets.

Ditto...

I saw how the iPod was taking off 9-10 years ago with the kids on campus. That was with the stock near its low. Knew it was going to come back up good, but all my extra funds beyond basic expenses was going to pay off debt after my divorce. Just as I almost had that paid off a few years layer, I was laid off from one job and took another at a few thousand less a year. Oldest son started college that Fall. APPL was still a relative bargain, no money to invest in it or other stocks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 245
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020