Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oh no... Multiple shootings at a local high school
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 27, 2012 08:10AM
[news.blogs.cnn.com]

Lots of co-workers live in that area, so do some friends. Hope all the children will be all right. Probably not a gang thing.. this is a 'country' suburb, middle and upper middle class.

Hoping...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oh no... Multiple shootings at a local high school
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 27, 2012 09:12AM
praying that all your colleague's children are safe
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 27, 2012 10:02AM
You'd be surprised how far and wide the gang problem spreads. We have pop culture icons that glorify the lifestyle. Kids in upper or middle class environments aren't insulated from that. They can easily get involved or even just pretend. The pretending is worse because the feel that they need some type of street cred to prove their affiliation so they do really stupid careless stuff.

There is a guy that I follow on Facebook who is like an anthropologist for gangs. I have no idea what he does for a living but he lives in Seattle and grew up in Yakima. He knows more about the gangs and their activities than the authorities do. He has thousands of photos cataloging graffiti, maps of the gangs' territories, etc. Give it a few minutes and you'll be a little more aware of how pervasive the problem is.

[nwgangs.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: dmann
Date: February 27, 2012 10:48AM
How scary. Getting some coverage here in Chicago.

DM
Posted by: beagledave
Date: February 27, 2012 10:59AM
Very scary.

[stevehuff.wordpress.com]
Posted by: Grace62
Date: February 27, 2012 11:15AM
One student has died. 4 in the hospital.
So very sad and all you can do is send thoughts and prayers of healing, peace and calm to those involved.

The lone student shooter has been arrested, turned himself him it appears after a teacher chased him out of the school.
Date: February 27, 2012 11:22AM
I knew when they said that three students had gone to Metro that they were in critical shape. That's the only Level I trauma center in the area. They sent me there 10 years ago.. the trauma people there are the best. If the victims can be saved, Metro's team can do it.

Hillcrest is a level II center.. Cleveland Clinic hospital. Still a very good team.
Date: February 27, 2012 02:10PM
And the obligatory Facebook post from the accused shooter.
Date: February 27, 2012 02:24PM
beagledave

Disturbing, but not unlike dark stuff teenagers will write. If my own kid wrote that I'd have a lot of questions.
So it seems this boy was not a current student at this school where the shooting occurred. I notice the fb post came from Oklahoma a couple of months ago. Maybe he just moved to the area.
More disturbing than the fb page is the photo he tweeted yesterday of himself pointing guns...
[twitter.com]
Date: February 27, 2012 02:38PM
Grace62
beagledave

Disturbing, but not unlike dark stuff teenagers will write. If my own kid wrote that I'd have a lot of questions.
So it seems this boy was not a current student at this school where the shooting occurred. I notice the fb post came from Oklahoma a couple of months ago. Maybe he just moved to the area.
More disturbing than the fb page is the photo he tweeted yesterday of himself pointing guns...
[twitter.com]

He is a current student (from the list of his Facebook friends who also go to Chabron).

I saw that photo of the boy and the guns. It was posted and removed from the link I posted earlier

[stevehuff.wordpress.com]

There seems to be some question about whether those photos are actually of Lane.

In the age of Twitter, "facts" are flying fast and furious.
Date: February 27, 2012 02:39PM
The news is saying and the Ohio DA is saying he is not a Chardon High School student. He went to Chardon in the morning to catch his bus to the place where he attended class. He attended a special school for kids with learning or behavior issues called Arbon (sp?) career center.
The student he killed was also a student who took a bus to that career center each morning.

It's on this local Cleveland station live right now:
[www.wkyc.com]-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 02:42PM by Grace62.
Date: February 27, 2012 02:41PM
And the Facebook post is currently "unavailable"

Here is the text.

"In a time long since, a time of repent, The Renaissance. In a quaint lonely town, sits a man with a frown. No job. No family. No crown. His luck had run out. Lost and alone. The streets were his home. His thoughts would solely consist of “why do we exist?” His only company to confide in was the vermin in the street. He longed for only one thing, the world to bow at his feet. They too should feel his secret fear. The dismal drear. His pain had made him sincere. He was better than the rest, all those ones he detests, within their castles, so vain. Selfish and conceited. They couldn’t care less about the peasents they mistreated. They were in their own world, it was a joyous one too. That castle, she stood just to do all she could to keep the peasents at bay, not the enemy away. They had no enemies in their filthy orgy. And in her, the castles every story, was just another chamber of Lucifer’s Laboratory. The world is a sandbox for all the wretched sinners. They simply create what they want and make themselves the winners. But the true winner, he has nothing at all. Enduring the pain of waiting for that castle to fall. Through his good deeds, the rats and the fleas. He will have for what he pleads, through the eradication of disease. So, to the castle he proceeds, like an ominous breeze through the trees. “Stay back!” The Guards screamed as they were thrown to their knees. “Oh God, have mercy, please!” The castle, she gasped and then so imprisoned her breath, to the shallow confines of her fragile chest. I’m on the lamb but I ain’t no sheep. I am Death. And you have always been the sod. So repulsive and so odd. You never even deserved the presence of God, and yet, I am here. Around your cradle I plod. Came on foot, without shod. How improper, how rude. However, they shall not mind the mud on my feet if there is blood on your sheet. Now! Feel death, not just mocking you. Not just stalking you but inside of you. Wriggle and writhe. Feel smaller beneath my might. Seizure in the Pestilence that is my scythe. Die, all of you.
Date: February 27, 2012 02:41PM
Grace62
The news is saying and the Ohio DA is saying he is not a Chabron High School student. He attended a special school for kids with learning or behavior issues.

You're correct, I meant to say that he went to school in the area, not Oklahoma.
Date: February 27, 2012 02:46PM
The type of program this student attended is the type I worked in for 5 years a special education teacher, but I was at the middle school level. We worked with kids who had behavioral and emotional challenges that made it impossible for them to attend a full day of regular school.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: February 27, 2012 03:12PM
cbelt3
[news.blogs.cnn.com]

Lots of co-workers live in that area, so do some friends. Hope all the children will be all right. Probably not a gang thing.. this is a 'country' suburb, middle and upper middle class.

Hoping...

The shootings that make the news are rarely "urban" gang related. I will send a prayer for all involved.
[www.youtube.com]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"Trump is a moron." -- Steve G.

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Date: February 27, 2012 03:18PM
[www.cbsnews.com]

This does look like the kid in the twitter photos, but until the FBI says it is...
Date: February 27, 2012 03:20PM
FWIW, the Auburn career center is a local 'magnet' school that specializes in trades. Kids from about 30 miles around are bused there for trade-related courses. It's how the local schools were able to kill their individual trade courses.

Various rumors running through the local schools... love pentagon, drugs, misc. The murderer is from a badly broken home, and lived farther out in the boonies. Cops are searching the houses and outbuildings in the area.

Very sad. And he tweeted his intentions, and none of his 'followers' did anything official. Hopefully the change that happens is that kids understand that ANY threat of violence needs to be treated as serious.
Date: February 27, 2012 03:32PM
The shooter TJ Lane actually went to Lake Academy, not the career center. It's an alternative school for at risk kids with behavioral problems. His folks are divorced, Dad was convicted of felony assault a few years ago, after being charged w/attempted murder and kidnapping. Boy lives w/grandparents.

[www.lcesc.k12.oh.us]
Date: February 27, 2012 04:16PM
OMG ! I have friends who have a child at Lake Academy. And I thought they were doing a better job there... Wow.
Date: February 27, 2012 04:20PM
cbelt3
OMG ! I have friends who have a child at Lake Academy. And I thought they were doing a better job there... Wow.

I wouldn't judge the school based on this.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 27, 2012 07:10PM
News is reporting that a second student has now died. sad smiley
[www.woio.com]
[www.woio.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 07:12PM by Sam3.
Date: February 27, 2012 08:30PM
cripes.. I knew one of the boys that was shot. I worked with his uncle and his wife. I think I met him when he was about 5. Looks like he will pull through.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 232
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018