advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $103.52 ( +1.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why do pics with flash on my iP4 always come out...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: March 05, 2012 12:48AM
... horribly overexposed and super un-contrasty/washed out? Shouldn't the camera in the phone be compensating for the flash?

I'm pretty sure I don't remember this as being a problem before, so I'm wondering if something's wrong with it...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2012 12:49AM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why do pics with flash on my iP4 always come out...
Posted by: tenders
Date: March 05, 2012 04:36AM
Do you have a case with material anywhere near the lens? I'm not overwhelmed with the quality of most of my IP4S photos either, but it takes much better pictures with the case off.
Posted by: DP
Date: March 05, 2012 06:36AM
Aren't there some settings for flash output and exposure compensation?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 05, 2012 07:44AM
The flash (really, just a light) is located within a gnat's hair of the lens, and it's not a focused light source. You're seeing the halo flare from that proximity.

They probably put them so close together so that one or the other wouldn't get covered up by a finger when used. And that's ironic, since it makes the flash feature useless. I only turn it on when absolutely desperate.
Date: March 05, 2012 08:00AM
Hmmm, maybe I'll post some pics later, but yes, I'm using the fabric-covered form fitting case from Speck.

Posted by: mstats
Date: March 05, 2012 08:52AM
The White iphone has this problem when use with many cheap white iphone cases. The white reflects the flash back int the lens. It was rumored that this was one of the reasons for the long delay in the release of the white iphone.
SOLVED... I think
Date: March 05, 2012 09:01AM
... OK, now I feel really dumb... forgot to remove the plastic on the back. Though in my own defense, it's a new (replacement) phone, so that might have been why I forgot. From other threads, this is probably what the problem was...

Re: SOLVED... I think
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 05, 2012 09:24AM
PeterB
... OK, now I feel really dumb... forgot to remove the plastic on the back. Though in my own defense, it's a new (replacement) phone, so that might have been why I forgot. From other threads, this is probably what the problem was...

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Spock
Date: March 05, 2012 10:34AM
PeterB

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Date: March 05, 2012 12:49PM
Yup, but guys keep in mind, 1) this is a new phone; 2) one wouldn't have thought that the film might have this particular effect; 3) it might be natural to leave the film in place, so as to try to prevent scratches. After all, it's not like I left the lens cap on. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 05, 2012 03:29PM
tenders
I'm not overwhelmed with the quality of most of my IP4S photos either, but it takes much better pictures with the case off.

That's disappointing to read. Then again, what camera are you comparing to the iPhone 4S? Your non iPhone 4S camera(s) may be quite a bit better than what I would be comparing.

I've been trying to find a fairly inexpensive cell phone with camera good enough to replace my basic point and shoot (inexpensive Canon). Almost snapped up a Nokia N8 in the $250 range because the camera is supposed to be one of the better smartphone cameras on the market. I don't think I can spring for something like the iPhone 4S (starting at $650) or the Nokia 808 Pureview (in the $600ish range and probably only grey market for the USA).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2012 03:33PM by silvarios.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login