advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.76 ( +0.65 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FireWire 400 to FireWire 800 using an OWC external DVD burner?
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: March 05, 2012 12:43PM
The goal is to resurrect (or at least get a more accurate diagnosis for) an old iBook G3 900 that seems to start up (chimes and spinning sounds) and has a screen problem. The screen either remains blank or shows unreadable, scrolling, horizontal line segments.

I've connected an external monitor with no success. The external monitor remains dark. Have also tried pressing down on the trackpad.

Would like try and boot the iBook in Target mode. However, the iMac only has a FireWire 800 port. Currently this is plugged in to an OWC external DVD writer. The external writer has multiple port options, including a FireWire 400 port.

Would I be able to use the OWC external DVD writer as a hub? I would plug the iBook into the 400 port on the external writer, while keeping the writer plugged in to the iMac.

thanks, Todd's ailing portable keyboard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2012 12:49PM by Todd's keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FireWire 400 to FireWire 800 using an OWC external DVD burner?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 05, 2012 01:11PM
What are you waiting for?

As long as all ports & cables work, FW is a chainable technology.

///
Posted by: GGD
Date: March 05, 2012 01:16PM
Yes, that should work, might require the DVD Writer to be powered on for the daisy chain ports to work.

The simpler solution to this problem is a FW-800 to FW-400 cable, if you don't have one you should get one just to have around for unexpected situations like this.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 05, 2012 01:41PM
gareth has a bunch of those cables in the Freebie day. I already bought mine for my new HD, so I don't need one.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: March 05, 2012 09:55PM
Okay, cleared my desk of other projects and hooked up the iBook to the iMac through the external DVD writer.

The screen of the iBook is completely dark, and the iBook hard drive shows up on the iMac. So, I'm transferring all of the document files to iMac. I think I've already done this, and am willing to put in the time to make sure I don't lose any old files.

thanks, Todd's keyboard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login