advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
torrent question
Posted by: wurm
Date: March 10, 2012 05:37PM
Okay, here's the thing. I don't care at all about any new TV shows, and don't care enough about movies that I can’t wait until they become available on netflix for free. And I'm not a big music fan (my iTunes library is a whopping 12GB). So I've never had the inclination to even look into bit-torrent, much less consider using it.

However...I do enjoy audiobooks during my daily commute and have "read" more in the past two years than I have in my previous fifty. I usually borrow them from the local library. But every once in a while, I hear about a book I want to listen to that is either unavailable at the library, or is available only on cassette. That's when my research discovers these torrents where they are supposedly available.

Without getting into the legal aspect of it all, is it possible to just download something via torrent every once in a great while without having to be "active" in the torrent world? Do I have to permanently install something on my computer and keep it running all the time, or can I just use it as needed? Do I have to upload something in order to download something? I understand if I were to use it regularly and often, it would be common courtesy to do so, but for a one-shot? Any baby-step primers available for someone like me who just might want to do a hit-and-run every now and then? Thanks.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: torrent question
Posted by: IronMac
Date: March 10, 2012 05:54PM
It's a slippery slope...

That being said, I would stick with newsgroups...get a plan that lets you use a few bits of data every now and then rather than an all you can eat buffet monthly plan.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: March 10, 2012 05:55PM
wurm
Without getting into the legal aspect of it all, is it possible to just download something via torrent every once in a great while without having to be "active" in the torrent world?

Yes.

Do I have to permanently install something on my computer and keep it running all the time, or can I just use it as needed?

Use as needed. But I'd keep the app that I use to download , rather having to reinstall it everytime I torrent a file.

Do I have to upload something in order to download something?

Torrents work better if you upload, which happens whilst you are downloading.

I understand if I were to use it regularly and often, it would be common courtesy to do so, but for a one-shot?

I think it happens automagically.

Any baby-step primers available for someone like me who just might want to do a hit-and-run every now and then? Thanks.

I use Transmission as my torrent app. I find and download a torrent file which I have then set to automatically open Transmission, which does it's thing and once it is finished the torrent file is trashed and I am left with the file I want.

I don't do it a lot, but I get some UK tv from a site I visit a few times a week.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 10, 2012 05:58PM
is $15 a month for an Audible.com subscription beyond your budget?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: March 10, 2012 06:23PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll check out Transmission.

Yes graylocks, $15 a month is about $15 a month more than I'd want to spend considering how often I'd see myself using it. I tried audible on a free trial once and frankly was so aggravated by the proprietary aspect of it, that I happily let the trial run out. I like to burn mp3 CDs for the car. No can do with audible. The library has been great for me (and yes, I do support it) and it's hard to beat free. It's only rarely that that I can't get something from them.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: March 10, 2012 06:27PM
You can buy individual audiobooks as well.
Yes, they are relatively expensive.

Turns out, it costs some money to hire good voice talent and book recording studios staffed by professional audio engineers.

Go figure.

I am not Ryan Seacrest, and I do not approve this message.
Date: March 10, 2012 06:33PM
Okay, follow-up time. I downloaded and installed Transmission. Now, of all the freakin' torrent sites out there, how the heck do you know which is best, which to trust, which is a waste of time, which is free, etc.?
Posted by: Manlove
Date: March 10, 2012 07:30PM
I only really download from UKnova which has British tv shows that are not available to buy, which is how they skirt issues of legality. Basically what one could watch on the replay services of the BBC and ITV.
If I want something else, I start at the p!ra8 b@y and work from there.
Read what people have written about files in the comments- if the file is dodgy people will comment upon it. Bear in mind that you need to have someone seeding the file you want, ideally lots of people!
Don't know how many books you'll find but good luck.
I assume you've tried all the freely available ebooks like these here... [manybooks.net]
Date: March 10, 2012 07:43PM
No luck on any of the torrent sites. If the particular audiobook shows up, the files are so old as to be non-existent anymore. I guess I might have to - perish forbid - read the physical book.
Posted by: neophyte
Date: March 10, 2012 07:52PM

I guess I might have to - perish forbid - read the physical book.

Just so you don't do it while commuting if you are the pilot....
Posted by: srf1957
Date: March 10, 2012 08:03PM
guten project audio
Don't know if anything you want is here. I just use it to read old sci-fi
now and then.
Posted by: rz
Date: March 10, 2012 08:10PM
I use isohunt.com to search for torrents.

Usenet is great but you have to make sure you get a decent news provider that has long retention times. I use Astraweb. Some of the binary groups have up to a year retention. And you can buy chunks of downloadable space that never expires. Go for their free trial (it used to be 3 days, don't know what it is now) and check out whether they might have what you want.
Date: March 10, 2012 08:35PM
Which audiobook are we talking about?

rz, I also use Astraweb and heartily endorse it.
Posted by: Spock
Date: March 10, 2012 08:57PM
wurm
No luck on any of the torrent sites. If the particular audiobook shows up, the files are so old as to be non-existent anymore. I guess I might have to - perish forbid - read the physical book.

Did you try TorrentFinder.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: morlock
Date: March 10, 2012 10:31PM
I have a friend who knows a guy who finds all sorts of stuff on demonoid.me
Date: March 10, 2012 10:55PM
The book is Lee Child's Persuader. No luck on torrent finder. And I've looked into the Gutenberg Project stuff in the past but I've become too spoiled for good narrators.

I gave up and reserved the abridged version from the library.
Date: March 11, 2012 04:26AM
It's in newsgroups.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: March 11, 2012 07:55AM
I also prefer Usenet newsgroups for this type of thing over BitTorrent. It's easy to find stuff by going to Merlins-Portal.com or Gingadaddy.com to find the NZB files. I then use Unison to download. I've used Nethosting, Astraweb, and currently UsenetServer. They are all pretty equal and many had 3 day free trials that you can sign up for.

I find that the set-up for this is a bit more involved initially, but better for long-term use.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: March 11, 2012 10:17AM
Have you considered your local library? Many have books on CD which can be ripped to your iPod. Some have downloadable audiobook loans.
Posted by: pinion
Date: March 11, 2012 01:32PM
+1 to the library. Although I do live in a big city so maybe we've got more than normal. Still I would just copy the cd's so I can listen on my ipod and I guess there's some legal issues to that too. But if you're not listening to all that many books that often you're bound to find some stuff to listen to at the library.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Date: March 11, 2012 03:22PM
vicrock
Have you considered your local library? Many have books on CD which can be ripped to your iPod. Some have downloadable audiobook loans.

vicrock (and pinion), evidently you missed my original and follow-up comments. To wit:

I do enjoy audiobooks during my daily commute and have "read" more in the past two years than I have in my previous fifty. I usually borrow them from the local library.

and

The library has been great for me (and yes, I do support it) and it's hard to beat free. It's only rarely that that I can't get something from them.

and

Seacrest

Which is a big part of why free at the library is such an ideal option.

Seacrest
Turns out, it costs some money to hire good voice talent and book recording studios staffed by professional audio engineers.

Go figure.

No kidding. I've worked (and still do) on "both sides of the glass" and am very much aware of what's involved. A great narrator can save a mediocre book and a bad narrator can kill a great book. I've experienced both.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 11, 2012 03:56PM
wurm
vicrock

vicrock (and pinion), evidently you missed my original and follow-up comments. To wit:

I do enjoy audiobooks during my daily commute and have "read" more in the past two years than I have in my previous fifty. I usually borrow them from the local library.

and

The library has been great for me (and yes, I do support it) and it's hard to beat free. It's only rarely that that I can't get something from them.

and

Seacrest

Which is a big part of why free at the library is such an ideal option.

Seacrest

Go figure.

No kidding. I've worked (and still do) on "both sides of the glass" and am very much aware of what's involved. A great narrator can save a mediocre book and a bad narrator can kill a great book. I've experienced both.

Two thoughts come to mind:
1) Have you thought of going to the local library?
2) The people who produce these things have a right to earn income from their work.

(and, oh yeah, since MiniNova bit the dust, you really can't beat PirateBay IMO-- most of the other sites have "fake" listings and even "fake" torrents, and it's depressing to try to wade through to the real thing.)

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 11, 2012 06:18PM
Is your library part of any larger consortium with reciprocal lending?

My library is part of a 74-library consortium. Four of them have the audiobook you are looking for, but they are all checked out. The unabridged version says 13 hours!
Date: March 11, 2012 07:06PM
Yes, Janit. In fact, our local library is part of a network of 37 libraries and when I search online I access the entire database. The local library where we lived previously (but still fairly close by) is part of a network of another 30 or so different libraries. I checked both networks. As I said, between the 60+ branches accessible, I'm usually able to find what I'm looking for. This is maybe the second time in several years I've been unsuccessful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 203
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020