Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
TV show sorting on Apple TV 2
Posted by: olnacl
Date: March 16, 2012 09:21AM
A while back, the sorting of shows as seen on the Apple TV 2 was incoherent at best. At the time, IIRC, setting the sort order worked if you made an entry in Album Artist field while in iTunes. In the most recent update to iTunes, this went haywire and my shows are no longer all displayed alphabetically on the TV using Apple TV.
A search in Google found many complaints but no solution (thus far anyway) so I appeal to the forumites to see if anyone has figured out what the trigger is to get them to sort alphabetically when displayed on the TV.
Something that might help to figure it out would be a metadata viewer of sorts, so I could look for differences in the shows that fall out of order, w/o going through individual "Get Info" exercises in iTunes directly.
I'musing the "new" software on the Apple TV 2 and have iTunes 10.6.
Help!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: TV show sorting on Apple TV 2
Posted by: lazydays
Date: March 16, 2012 10:03AM
Lots of posts in the apple support forum but apple is deaf to the problem so far. Not even an acknowledgement of the problem. Also, there is no workaround that has been posted so you have two choices when you want to watch tv shows. 1) you can start the show in iTunes on the computer and then push the video to the tv or 2) you can use an iOS device with the remote app to start the show and push it to the tv. In both cases the tv shows will appear normally. They are only out of order on the appletv.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 16, 2012 10:12AM
....sure that Apple will eventually SORT it all out.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: March 16, 2012 12:13PM
Newsflash:

[www.macintouch.com]
Date: March 16, 2012 12:55PM
This would be great news but I cannot find anything in the apple support forums that indicate apple has acknowledged the problem or that a fix is on the way. Are you seeing something that I'm missing? I'd be thrilled!
Posted by: guod
Date: March 16, 2012 02:11PM
I am seeing oddities on my ipad, so I'm hoping this works for me (read on)

[discussions.apple.com]

I'm not sure if this will help an Apple TV or not.

I've got missing TV shows (entire seasons) and until i reset Home Sharing on my ipad, artwork was all messed up (dupplicates, and just wrong art)

I'm at work, but hope to try the info in the above link this weekend

Date: March 16, 2012 03:01PM
Hmm, sounds like something that would work but I'm going to let a few other people try it first. It actually changes the metadata and I'm not sure I'm willing to do that.
Posted by: guitarist
Date: March 16, 2012 08:54PM
I updated my Apple TV 2, and my sorting is preserved, unchanged.

Is that the exception? The rule?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 17, 2012 07:49AM
Thought I'd read it wasn't the ATV update, but iTunes 10.6 that was causing this issue.
Date: March 17, 2012 02:55PM
If you are using iTunes 10.6 with any version of the appletv firmware you will see the tv shows out of order. If you are using iTunes 10.6 and using the remote app on you iPhone to start tv shows they will appear in order. So it must be a combination of 10.6 and the use of any appletv that causes the shows to appear out of order.

So we either need an appletv update or an iTunes update or maybe both.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 75
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014