advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help With Older iPad
Posted by: willmill
Date: March 16, 2012 10:46AM
My wife just received the new iPad and wants to bequeath her original version 1 to her Sister, who is somewhat challenged. We saw the apps used with autistic children and want to set the old one up with some of those and some simple games. My question is how to do this? She will not be using email, has no email address, and we do not want her downloading apps from the Apple Store. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? I appreciate all your expertise and want to thank you up front for your help.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help With Older iPad
Posted by: bik
Date: March 16, 2012 11:04AM
First you would reset the iPad by going to:
"Settings>General>Reset>Erase all content and settings."

After erasing, sync the iPad with your/your wife's computer, but set it up as a new iPad and give it a new name rather than restoring from a back up.

Sync whatever apps to it that you want.

If the sister has access to a computer with iTunes, she could potentially connect the iPad and mess things up, but...

You'll have to sort out the plan for keeping software/apps updated. If you all want to update the iPad for here periodically, no problem. Or, if you want to mostly ignore updaters and not worry about it, that could probably work too.

If you want the sister to be able to update by herself, she would need access to an Apple ID and password.

If you wish, you can set up a new Apple ID/iTunes store account without a credit card. This would make it so she could keep things up to date, download free apps, but not paid apps. You could initially get any paid apps on this account using a prepaid iTunes card.
Posted by: particleman
Date: March 16, 2012 11:15AM
You can also set restrictions on the iPad that can both block purchases from the App Store and in-app purchases.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: March 16, 2012 11:27AM
Create an iCloud account to be used on that iPad, set parental controls as required.
I don't know if it is possible to erase mail.app and related, but at least you could make sure to not save the passwords, and maybe have them in a folder along with itunes, app store, maps, etc.
You could also have that mail account forward anything into your mail.
Good Luck!

• back to confinement

Posted by: willmill
Date: March 16, 2012 01:04PM
Great info. Thank you all very much. I will follow bik's advice and keep it simple.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018