The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $106.98 ( -0.36 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple TV - which version
Posted by: decocritter
Date: March 16, 2012 05:19PM
Do I even want one?

My vizio blu ray is acting up - no sound on discs , won't connect to netflix, no sound on pandora.

Vizeo is sending me an update by mail (no update on their support page) after 3 phone calls and finger pointing at att and netflix.

If that does not fix it, I went something dependable for netflix streaming.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple TV - which version
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 16, 2012 05:25PM
Love our ATV2s for Netflix.

720p is fine for most media.

New ATVs are 1080p.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: March 16, 2012 06:12PM
The ATV3 has a significantly better processor from what I understand. It also does 1080 where the ATV2 only does 720p. Now 720p is fine with me but better is better. So if I was going to buy one right now I'd get the ATV3.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 16, 2012 06:43PM
Deco,

If an Apple TV, then go for the new model. It has everything the AppleTV2 has and more, i.e. 1080p, Airplay, etc. Under Mountain Lion, you'll even be able to display your computer's screen on your TV via the AppleTV3 and Airplay. There may not be a tremendous amount of 1080p content via streaming now but, as time progresses, more and more of it will become available. And the amount has definitely increased dramatically.

Robert
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 16, 2012 07:25PM
Agree with getting the ATV 3. It's not like it's a huge difference in price. I suspect you'll be happy with it in the long run.

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: March 16, 2012 08:54PM
If anyone here buys an ATV3, please report back as to whether or not it's iPhoto streaming performance has been improved. I would assume the higher resolution would also apply to displaying photos.

Posted by: Gilbert
Date: March 16, 2012 10:43PM
The Mac AirPlay feature will work with bith the 2nd gen Apple TV and the new 3rd generation. The difference would be the output resolution.

Robert M
Deco,

If an Apple TV, then go for the new model. It has everything the AppleTV2 has and more, i.e. 1080p, Airplay, etc. Under Mountain Lion, you'll even be able to display your computer's screen on your TV via the AppleTV3 and Airplay. There may not be a tremendous amount of 1080p content via streaming now but, as time progresses, more and more of it will become available. And the amount has definitely increased dramatically.

Robert
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 17, 2012 02:03AM
decocritter
I went something dependable for netflix streaming.

Only need Netflix? Roku LT should be pretty good. $50 list, but I have seen it as cheap as $45
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 17, 2012 07:38AM
Gilbert,

That's why I mentioned the 1080p factor. smiling smiley

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login