The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $104.95 ( +1.96 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
2TB portable HD is available
Posted by: john dough
Date: March 20, 2012 08:53AM
[store.westerndigital.com]

I know that in the coming months, this will be cheaper, but I picked one up for $251 shipped using code WDCARES at checkout. I was going to buy 2 of them, but I think in a few months when stores get stock, this drive should settle about around $200, and I can wait.

This year I have committed to traveling lighter and bringing one drive instead of two (or more) is a good start.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 2TB portable HD is available
Posted by: jdc
Date: March 20, 2012 09:37AM
Although not quite as small these have been around for a long time.

I'm sure 2TB used to be much cheaper...

[eshop.macsales.com]

----

The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs [www.fakesteve.net]

Posted by: freeradical
Date: March 20, 2012 09:48AM
How are things in Thailand today? Is hard drive manufacturing coming back up?
Posted by: maco
Date: March 20, 2012 12:06PM
freeradical

The great hard-disk drive shortage seems to be nearing completion.

BlueFin Research analyst Paul Peterson asserts in a note this morning that the supply imbalance in hard drives that was triggered by last year’s flooding in Thailand is not as dire as originally feared, which is good news for PC manufacturers that had been struggling to buy enough drives at reasonable cost. One contributing factor, he notes, is that PC demand remains sluggish. Seasonally slow demand is allowing a rapid recovery in HDD inventories, he asserts.
[www.forbes.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: March 20, 2012 04:01PM
maco
freeradical

The great hard-disk drive shortage seems to be nearing completion.

BlueFin Research analyst Paul Peterson asserts in a note this morning that the supply imbalance in hard drives that was triggered by last year’s flooding in Thailand is not as dire as originally feared, which is good news for PC manufacturers that had been struggling to buy enough drives at reasonable cost. One contributing factor, he notes, is that PC demand remains sluggish. Seasonally slow demand is allowing a rapid recovery in HDD inventories, he asserts.
[www.forbes.com]

C'mon, the hard drive companies were just getting jealous of the oil companies jacking gas prices for holidays, or whenever they want to suck in more cash if they sense the economy is doing better. The supposed flood in Thailand was the drive makers' excuse to build up some cash by creating false demand. When RAM, drives, and other tech commodities get real cheap, stock up on 'em just in case, so the blips don't catch you off guard... I don't mean buy tons of everything; but when you feel something hitting a low, store a little extra, so you can trade for the commodity you need when you need it, then you can at least do so based on a cheaper currency (IOW, looking at commodities as your currency).

///
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login