advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.98 ( +0.48 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Waterlogged MBP Continues - your thoughts?
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: March 20, 2012 09:01AM
Okay, so this is a continuation of the saga that began Friday night when I spilled water onto my MBP 13" keyboard. The thing went out and I tore the thing apart and left it to dry. The logic board and internals were all dry but there had to have been a short somewhere because the computer went out.

After waiting a few days, I've put the machine back together and tried to power it up. No luck. The mag adapter lights up orange when connected and the battery led demonstrates nearly full power on the battery, but the power button does nothing to start the machine.

Any thoughts?

Should I just replace the keyboard? The power button? Let it dry more?

Thanks!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Waterlogged MBP Continues - your thoughts?
Posted by: saintyohann
Date: March 20, 2012 10:47AM
There should be pins on the mlb that if you short will power on the unit. Hopefully you have the service manual, if not look for two large bumps labeled PWR or on some models, short pins 4 and 5 or 5 and 6 on the keyboard ribbon cable. If the unit boots, you need a new top case.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: March 20, 2012 01:22PM
What I've discovered from cleaning water damaged MBP logic boards with denatured alcohol is that if the unit boots but is flakey/weird, a good cleaning often solves the problem. If it doesn't power on at all, I've had zero success at home repair (which includes replacing entire top cases and keyboards).

There are services which claim to repair the logic board, ranging in price from $200-$350ish, but I have no experience with any of these.
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: March 20, 2012 03:03PM
Thank you.

Luckily, the water never got past the keyboard membrane, so I haven't been dealing with a wet logic board. However, I did reassemble it today and got it work again.

Thanks for the help!
Posted by: billb
Date: March 20, 2012 04:13PM
yay !

Just a little longer to dry out ?
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 20, 2012 04:19PM
Good deal, glad to hear it is working out.
Posted by: digby
Date: March 20, 2012 11:03PM
Oh, good! Glad yours fared better than my kid's. Because I opened it up (after a week in rice and under a fan) and there was clearly corrosion on the logic board and under it, and dirt ... it was a mess.

Took it to a friend, to an Apple guru, and then to the Genius Bar. All agreed: it was a doorstop.

But at least Apple will fix almost anything for their "doorstop price". $725. They replaced virtually everything-- even the case, which had the tiniest dent...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login