Posted by: Drew
Date: March 23, 2012 01:54AM
Steve Jobs's Last Gift To Apple Employees

[www.businessinsider.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rudie and I may start working at Apple
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 23, 2012 02:13AM
you know, I can see a job change when something that can't be added or subtracted to an accounting column becomes a job perk.

How do the accountant idiots quantify treating someone as a valued employee, and viewing them with respect?
Posted by: haikuman
Date: March 23, 2012 04:08AM
Great story me thinks. SJ still providing something special. You are making a very good decision Drew.

Not sure what your point is Racer X ?

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Drew
Date: March 23, 2012 04:29AM
Racer might need some good fish, and good beer to go with it! smileys with beer
Date: March 23, 2012 05:12AM
Yes he has got his knickers in a bunch *(:>*
He forgot Apple saved $10 Billion for employee stock options .

I can find money any time,
gooood sushi is very hard to find sometimes . . . *(:>*

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 05:13AM by haikuman.
Date: March 23, 2012 07:36AM
Some additional info found in the comments *(:>* I love it ~!~ Hope you read this Drew. You may have your own comments to share .

robertholtz (URL) on Mar 23, 6:58 AM said:
The story is true but the names are all wrong and a couple of key facts are also wrong.

First off, the name of the chef is "Toshi Sakuma" (not "Sukama" as you wrote it). Secondly, the name of the restaurant was "KAYGETSU" -- expressed in singular form; not possessive... usually written in all-caps. It was not "Kaygetsu's" as you stated. The word means "beautiful moon" in Japanese and is also the word in Japan used for the month of "September." It is not a person's name to be used in the possessive as your article did.

Also, omakaze-style does not mean specifically seafood. It means "set meal" or even more accurately, "chef's choice." The specialty of KAYGETSU was their Kaiseki menu which is a multi-source "set" entire meal for a fixed price per person (exactly like the French "prix fixe" menu concept). Jobs especially liked the Kaiseki but also loved sashimi and soba noodles in particular. He even famously frequently combined the two into a single dish.

The term Kaiseki is derived from the stone used by Zen priests to fight cold and hunger and used in ancient tea ceremonies. The restaurant changed their kaiseki menu every single month which Jobs loved because they would carefully and skillfully craft a menu to celebrate the bounty of each season and every Kaiseki menu tells the story of that chef and that month's theme. Jobs especially liked it because it was an artistic expression of the chefs. Plus, if the chef's know your likes and preferences, there is a certain comfort in luxury in not having to order item-by-item. You just sit down and eat like a king and they just bring you course after course of delicious thoughtfully prepared items. That's what made this place so special and set it apart from other sushi joints. If you sat down for a kaiseki meal, you sat a the table of a culinary storyteller.

The most important clarification is that Steve Jobs SAVED the restaurant, he didn't close it. It was already due to close and when he found out that was going to be the case, my understanding is that he bought it (and I am not sure if the transaction was done personally or corporately) and had Toshi come into Cafe Mac at One Infinite Loop right away while he was still living before the restaurant fully closed. Jobs was already a huge regular not just in the restaurant but also ordering take out and picking it up personally.

Also, Jobs didn't always eat there alone. He frequently came in with family members, had several dinners with friends and associates, and there are numerous known occasions in which he booked out the entire restaurant to conduct Apple board meetings there. The place was right on Sand Hill Road and was a well-established spot for the peninsula elite and it was often said he even brought in pre-release items there and showed them to the owners. Toshi and Steve had a very special bond that was rooted in their mutual appreciation for artistry and zen sensibilities. This was not just some random place to him.

Anyway, hope that corrects all the inaccuracies. This still definitely fits as one of Steve's "one last things."

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2012 07:38AM by haikuman.
Date: March 23, 2012 10:11AM
I thought Jobs was a vegetarian, fish does not qualify as meat?

in tha 510.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 23, 2012 10:19AM
Pescetarian is too hard to spell.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 23, 2012 12:23PM
So he bought the place and then it closed? Why was it set to close in the first place?
It sounds like it was successful by the descriptions.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 24, 2012 11:29AM
Whatever this is about— it doesn’t sound like I’m moving to Japan or the Fili’s for an Apple job!
Date: March 24, 2012 11:50AM
Jimmypoo
Whatever this is about— it doesn’t sound like I’m moving to Japan or the Fili’s for an Apple job!

You can join Apple in Cupertino and still enjoy Sushi with Toshi *(:>*

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login