The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.47 ( +2.71 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
[door hinge followup!] Every screw matters
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 23, 2012 03:57PM
In our last episode:
With my front door now swinging freely and smoothly on new hinges, I still needed two more screws in the top hinge.

[forums.macresource.com]

I shoved 3 toothpicks into each hole, with Elmer's wood glue and let it sit. Actually, I left it for days/weeks.

The door edge barely scraped the opposite side in the middle, where I'd also done a quick-n-dirty repair at the deadbolt hole (unrelated), and built up some of the area with wood filler. But I hadn't sanded it, and so it stuck out a little, like 1/16" inch, if that much.

I finally got around to replacing the 2 missing screws in the top hinge today and the door no longer scrapes the other side. I still need to sand and paint the wood filler, but I was surprised the 2 screws pulled the door back at all. There was nothing about the top hinge visually nor by feel that would have indicated it was actually sagging slightly, because of the 2 missing screws.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: [door hinge followup!] Every screw matters
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: March 23, 2012 04:58PM
Good, deck. Yep, those screws are important on a door hinge. I usually use very long screws for strength.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 23, 2012 07:03PM
If the hinge is actually perfectly flat then maybe the change in how the weight was pulling on the screw indictaes soft wood or the whole door jamb is flexing. I hope it's not failing finger joints.
Posted by: Acer
Date: March 23, 2012 08:49PM
Every screw is sacred.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 24, 2012 08:31AM
Acer
Every screw is sacred.

Yes, and must not be wasted.
Posted by: Surfrider
Date: March 24, 2012 09:55AM
Even the worst screw is still worth it...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login