advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $158.73 ( +0.06 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Drive Genius 3 - Mac…Anyone use this? Recommend it? Interested in splitting any of the included apps?
Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 25, 2012 02:13AM
Drive Genius 3 - Mac - Mac is part of a current Macupdate $50 eleven app bundle which ends in just over three days.

My question is whether the "hype" i.e. I's the most used app at the Genius Bar and, of course, it's touted by our forum sponsor. Is it effective in curing most of issues that cause the "never ending beachball of _____" ???

So, is it worth having?

BTW, I do have the latest versions of DiscWarrior for 10.6, TT Pro and also Memtest.

I already have several of the bundled apps including Drive Genius 2. The paid upgrade to version 3 is the same amount $49 as this whole bundle, so the savings on Drive Genius might make this promo worthwhile for me if anyone want to share the savings with me for an app or two that you can use.

Suggestions? Anyone want to split the bundle?

For myself, I'm not interested in the following:

VMware Fusion 4
ForkLift 2.5
DesktopShelves 2
Boom
Phone to MacStar Wars: TFU
Worms Special Edition

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Drive Genius 3 - Mac…Anyone use this? Recommend it? Interested in splitting any of the included apps?
Posted by: olnacl
Date: March 25, 2012 05:57AM
Shoot. You're a little late on this - I bought the package for Fusion and don't like it (Fusion, that is). I'd like Parallels 7. I already had DG3 and it seems OK. No Swiss Army Knife as far as I can see, but it hasn't killed any of my computers so far. PM me.
Re: Drive Genius 3 - Mac…Anyone use this? Recommend it? Interested in splitting any of the included apps?
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 25, 2012 12:59PM
Here's a review from cnet: [reviews.cnet.com]

I use Disk Utility and Disk Warrior. I've never had any luck with DG 1 or 2. I've got TTP3 but it's never helped me either.

The idea of having an optimization tool appeals to me, but so many sources have said that optimizing OS X is waste of time. It only self-optimized files 20MB or smaller, I believe.

Some of these apps have cool interfaces, but just don't seem to offer much in the way of disk repair, and their only real strength seems to be in convenience. Yet separate, other third-party apps may have better features which offsets convenience.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: March 25, 2012 04:23PM
RAMd®d
Here's a review from cnet: [reviews.cnet.com]

I use Disk Utility and Disk Warrior. I've never had any luck with DG 1 or 2. I've got TTP3 but it's never helped me either.

The idea of having an optimization tool appeals to me, but so many sources have said that optimizing OS X is waste of time. It only self-optimized files 20MB or smaller, I believe.

Some of these apps have cool interfaces, but just don't seem to offer much in the way of disk repair, and their only real strength seems to be in convenience. Yet separate, other third-party apps may have better features which offsets convenience.

It appears that your "take" makes sense. From what I've read, the negative reports for DG outweigh any benefits.

My quest for a simple all-in-one "magic" fixer is driven by the fact that the various utility apps that I already own don't make it clear to this long time, but non-techie mac user, just what the functions are supposed to "cure" and what dangers, if any, could result in their use.

For example, I've had Onyx and Cocktail on my macs for years and a while back I picked up MacPilot. These utilities offer a range of "fixes" that seem to cover a lot of issues, but I have never come across an easily understood explanation of how they work, when and why I'd use a specific repair routine and how to guage the safety in using them.

I look at the multitude of functions in these utilities, especially those in MacPilot, and find myself lost and afraid to proceed for fear of screwing things up.

I think I'll post another topic with what I've just expressed and ask for thoughts on how I could take advantage of the apps that I already own, DW, TTPRO, MacPilot, etc.

What I would like to gain is a easily understood explanation of what functions to use to either optimize or fix my computer and what avoid, so I don't cause myself a problem by doing something that I shouldn't. Remember that these utilities run "automatic" routines that cover a lot of ground.

Is it possible to get simple, straightforward explanations that will make it clear to me, what to use and why and when to use it?

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 26, 2012 01:31AM
I bought it for PDFpen.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015