advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $98.80 ( -0.22 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
chiropractic: ever had it solve a problem not related to your spine?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 27, 2012 09:05AM
or, other more obvious areas of chiropractic therapy?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: chiropractic: ever had it solve a problem not related to your spine?
Posted by: samintx
Date: March 27, 2012 09:14AM
Just WHAT is he relating to? Don't tell us. More info than we want to know.burnout smiley
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 27, 2012 09:20AM
years ago i used a non-traditional form of chiropractory to help with the dizziness from menieres disease. it did help for a while. can't recall the precise name of the techniques; it was over two decades ago.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: davester
Date: March 27, 2012 09:33AM
I hear snake oil cures many ills too.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Buck
Date: March 27, 2012 09:55AM
Yes it has. But just going to get an adjustment now and then won't do. Years ago after an injury, my chiropractor made sure I walked to and from his office (2.5 miles each way) to strengthen the back.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 27, 2012 10:42AM
mrbigstuff
ever had it solve a problem not all that obviously to a layman related to your spine??

I had a co-worker who had a nasty whooping cough type of cough that just wouldn't respond to the usual DR treatments and after seven or eight weeks of trying this and that his DR suggested trying a chiro, just to rule it out.
"Adjusted" his back and the cough was gone.
One time deal at the chiro, too.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: March 27, 2012 10:43AM
I have actually been injured by a chiropractor that really ticked me off . . . baseball bat smiley

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 27, 2012 12:27PM
I was wondering what your experiences were Rudie. Because you are Rudie Austin, the $6,000 Man. Rebuilt with zip ties and tinker toys!
Date: March 27, 2012 12:50PM
Yes I was put back together just like Humpty Dumpty *(:>*
I hope all is well in your back yard Racer X . . .

I was wondering what your experiences were Rudie. Because you are Rudie Austin, the $6,000 Man. Rebuilt with zip ties and tinker toys! And 1 cadaver THANK YOU VERY MUCH ~!~!~!~

Fixed that for you *(:>*

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 12:52PM by haikuman.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 27, 2012 12:56PM
Even mistaken correlation for causation?
Date: March 27, 2012 01:10PM
Whats even worse is the nasty radiographs they take and the ones they let their unlicensed staff take.
Furrder more all the peripheral drugs and services they hawk like covered wagon snake oil salesmen
needs to be curtailed. They should be made to wear those coin changers like the Ice Cream man used to wear . . . . chinga, chinga, chinga hot smiley

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 27, 2012 01:20PM
rudie, what drugs do chiropractors prescribe?
Posted by: beagledave
Date: March 27, 2012 01:30PM
billb
mrbigstuff
ever had it solve a problem not all that obviously to a layman related to your spine??

I had a co-worker who had a nasty whooping cough type of cough that just wouldn't respond to the usual DR treatments and after seven or eight weeks of trying this and that his DR suggested trying a chiro, just to rule it out.

Of course after 7-8 weeks, a lot of symptoms might abate on their own....

Correlation..not the same as causation.
Date: March 27, 2012 01:38PM
rudie, what drugs do chiropractors prescribe?

I should have used the word supplements. They are not licensed to prescribe any drugs as of yet.
They also rip patients off via blood testing schemes and diet plans.

[www.quackwatch.com]

Steer Clear of "Chiropractic Nutrition"

Stephen Barrett, M.D.

Chiropractic is based on the faulty notion that most ailments are related to spinal problems. Although some aspects of scientific nutrition are taught in chiropractic schools, many chiropractors use methods that clash with what is known about the anatomy and physiology of the body.

Chiropractors Say That Selling Thyroid Patients $10,000-$15,000 Testing/Nutritional Programs is "Like Shooting Fish in a Barrel"

[thyroid.about.com]

[www.nutritionalwellness.com]

[www.krqe.com]

Plan lets chiropractors prescribe drugs
Controversial bill advances in Legislature

Updated: Monday, 07 Mar 2011, 11:05 PM MST
Published : Monday, 07 Mar 2011, 11:05 PM MST

Reporter: Tim Maestas
SANTA FE (KRQE) - A controversial bill to allow certain chiropractors to prescribe drugs in New Mexico is making its way through the state Legislature.

House Bill 127 would make some visits to the chiropractor seem more like a visit to a medical doctor.

“I think we’re the first state that will be doing this,” said House Speaker Ben Luján, D-Santa Fe, who is sponsoring the bill.

According to Luján, the purpose behind the bill is to address a shortage of primary-care physicians in New Mexico, which will only get worse as federal health care reforms take effect.

“There’s potentially approximately 450,000 more people that could need service,” Luján said.

The bill calls for chiropractors with advanced training to start writing prescriptions for drugs under an approved list that has yet to be developed.

Chiropractors would not be able to prescribe narcotics or perform surgery.

[newmexico.onpolitix.com]

CERTIFIED ADVANCED PRACTICE CHIROPRACTIC PHYSICIAN AUTHORITY DEFINED -
A certified advanced practice chiropractic physician may prescribe, dispense, and administer herbal medicines, homeopathic medicines, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, glandular products, naturally derived substances, protomorphogens, live cell products, gerovital, amino acids, dietary supplements, foods for special dietary use, bioidentical hormones, sterile water, sterile saline, sarapin or its generic, caffeine, procaine, oxygen, epinephrine, and vapocoolants. (See related links)

So, while it appears Chiropractors have some limited prescription privileges forthcoming, until a formulary is approved by the NM medical board (within some very stringent rules set down in HB 275 itself), the actual meaning of "prescriptive privileges" will be unclear. It should be noted, that any and all "dangerous substances" on the formulary have to be approved by the New Mexical Medical Board.

[wiki.answers.com]

In my narrow minded opinion I think there are more quack chiropractors than good ones.
A good professional massage can do wonders . . . ymmv

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 01:47PM by haikuman.
Posted by: billb
Date: March 27, 2012 01:43PM
beagledave
billb
mrbigstuff

Of course after 7-8 weeks, a lot of symptoms might abate on their own....

Correlation..not the same as causation.

Right in the chiropractor's office immediately after the "adjustment " is damned convenient for abating on their own.

Maybe the cough was all in his head.
rolleyes smiley
Posted by: guod
Date: March 27, 2012 01:45PM
I am a believer in some chiropractors.

I was never a fan of chiropractors that would see (read: string along) patients regularly for many months (and or years).

My wife is involved with Physical Therapy and recommended a chiropractor to me who believed most physical ailments ( not colds or allergies or stuff like that) were the result of muscular imbalances, and not truly bone related.

The chiropractor diagnosed my back issues to a tight/spasming psoas muscle (basically goes from spine to thigh) and though stretching, exercises and massage had me back to normal in 4 - 6 session where a GP and prescribed therapy (not my wife's organization) barely made a dent in 13 weeks.

Date: March 27, 2012 01:51PM
guod
I am a believer in some chiropractors.

I was never a fan of chiropractors that would see (read: string along) patients regularly for many months (and or years).

My wife is involved with Physical Therapy and recommended a chiropractor to me who believed most physical ailments ( not colds or allergies or stuff like that) were the result of muscular imbalances, and not truly bone related.

The chiropractor diagnosed my back issues to a tight/spasming psoas muscle (basically goes from spine to thigh) and though stretching, exercises and massage had me back to normal in 4 - 6 session where a GP and prescribed therapy (not my wife's organization) barely made a dent in 13 weeks.

I understand your message and would just relate that many people can be license holders, but
not skilled at their profession. I have had some of the very best results from Physical Therapists and Massage Therapists.
Rudie*(:>*

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 27, 2012 01:58PM
Chiropractors can do a great job as an alternative to physical therapy for problems for which physical therapy is recommended.

Once they stray from doing the joint/muscle manipulations, they veer straight into BS pseudoscience.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: March 27, 2012 02:03PM
Not really. I had a shoulder problem that was helped immensely by a chiropractor but he was stretching and manipulating the shoulder too, not just the spine.

My dad was big into chiropractors and his best friend was one. But he always said the problem with chiropractors is there are more bad ones out there than good ones. His friend was obviously a good one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2012 02:04PM by AllGold.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: March 27, 2012 02:41PM
I went in one time and mentioned that my sinuses were really clogged that day. No problem, he pulled put this thing that was shaped like a gun and had a big rubber chair tip on the end. He cocked that thing and put it to my forehead and pulled the trigger. It whumped me pretty good. He did the other side of my forehead and once on each side of my nose.

I will admit that my sinuses drained better for a couple of hours.

When I got to the receptionist she ask how it went & I said pretty good until I mentioned my sinuses. She said, "Oh no. You didn't let him use the 'Big Thumper' on you, did you?".

I never mentioned my sinuses to him again.

Fred
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: March 27, 2012 05:52PM
The only one I ever went to told me right up front that if I didn't see an improvement after 7 or 8 visits
then he couldn't help me, there was no improvement.

Grateful11
Posted by: hal
Date: March 27, 2012 06:31PM
Fred_Also
I went in one time and mentioned that my sinuses were really clogged that day. No problem, he pulled put this thing that was shaped like a gun and had a big rubber chair tip on the end. He cocked that thing and put it to my forehead and pulled the trigger. It whumped me pretty good. He did the other side of my forehead and once on each side of my nose.

I will admit that my sinuses drained better for a couple of hours.

When I got to the receptionist she ask how it went & I said pretty good until I mentioned my sinuses. She said, "Oh no. You didn't let him use the 'Big Thumper' on you, did you?".

I never mentioned my sinuses to him again.

Fred
wimp!

I've had a chiropractor friend for 25 years. She'd do this thingy to me during allergy season and it worked very well. It's not magic - a quick jarring thump to the precise area loosens things up in there. She's retired now, but I will still do that technique on my own when needed.

I can't believe that so many here have never seen a good chiropractor. My god, you just don't know what you are missing.

But she never pushed ANYTHING beyond her care. Every time I'd ask about if a drug that I might have on hand would be of any help, she'd ALWAYS remind me that she can't and WON'T prescribe any drugs.

Keep hydrated - that's the only thing she'd tell me as I was going out the door.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 27, 2012 07:06PM
I have had good luck with them for several ailments. A friend's dad was one. My friend said there were 2 kinds - good ones and bad ones. The bad ones went to seminars where they taught you how to squeeze money out of people. They usually used the "thumpers", he said, which according to him were useless on the back. His dad fixed my neck when 7 rounds of physical therapy at the doctor's office didn't touch it.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: March 27, 2012 07:32PM
hal
I can't believe that so many here have never seen a good chiropractor. My god, you just don't know what you are missing.

'Looks like the only things I'm missing are paralysis and death.

[www.jpsmjournal.com]

The core concepts of chiropractic, subluxation and spinal manipulation, are not based on sound science. Back and neck pain are the domains of chiropractic but many chiropractors treat conditions other than musculoskeletal problems. With the possible exception of back pain, chiropractic spinal manipulation has not been shown to be effective for any medical condition. Manipulation is associated with frequent mild adverse effects and with serious complications of unknown incidence. Its cost-effectiveness has not been demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt. The concepts of chiropractic are not based on solid science and its therapeutic value has not been demonstrated beyond reasonable doubt.

[www.medicalnewstoday.com]

According to a study published in the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, spinal manipulation should not be used routinely. Routine use of spinal manipulation on the upper spine could result in serious complications, such as stroke, and even death.

Lead researcher Edzard Ernst, Professor of Complementary Medicine at Peninsular Medical School, Universities of Exeter and Plymouth, said "Even allowing for an extraordinarily high level of under-reporting, spinal manipulation has been associated with about 600 serious adverse events. In addition, it causes non-serious adverse effects in about 50 percent of all patients who use it. If any drug were linked to such rates of harm, I somehow doubt that it would still be on the market."
Date: March 27, 2012 08:11PM
600? Don't doctors and hospitals cause over 100,000 deaths a year? (And I'm pretty sure those are probably under-reported.)
Posted by: Linda2
Date: March 27, 2012 08:18PM
Years ago, I suffered from chronic migraines - 3 or 4 a week. My chiropractor could stop them if I got to him in time (which, unfortunately, rarely happened). I have also used him for back pain with good results.

I stopped going, however, when he persuaded a desperate woman with a teenage son who was dying of some form of cancer, to stop all medical treatment and let him do spinal adjustments and give vitamin therapy. Of course, the boy died much sooner than he should have and he was in unnecessary pain. I never went back. This doctor did not seem to have an ethical standard and I don't think he was an exception.

While chiropractors are good at relieving back pain, other advice they give should be carefully checked out especially if they recommend terminating medical care.
Date: March 27, 2012 09:25PM
Dennis S
600? Don't doctors and hospitals cause over 100,000 deaths a year? (And I'm pretty sure those are probably under-reported.)

The statistic is from England, which has a population less than 1/6th that of the U.S.

Yes, medical malpractice is proximate cause of around 100,000 untimely deaths each year in the United States.

And about a quarter million people in the U.S. are injured due to hospital negligence... A little less than 1% of the number of patients treated each year.

Extrapolate those figures to England if you want. It's a simple math game...

And extrapolate the other figure to the U.S. and you still get 50% of all chiropractic patients being injured by their course of treatment.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 27, 2012 09:42PM
Chakravartin
And extrapolate the other figure to the U.S. and you still get 50% of all chiropractic patients being injured by their course of treatment.

huh smiley

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Date: March 27, 2012 09:56PM
Do you have more than one source for the 50% number? I know it's anecdotal, but I know lots of people who have seen a chiropractor and zero have ever said they had a problem. I am leery of numbers about them because I know there are all kinds of people and organizations out to get them.
Date: March 27, 2012 10:12PM
Dennis S
...I know there are all kinds of people and organizations out to get them.

Huh?

All kinds of organizations out to get them?

Seriously?

They sell massage at a markup as a "medical" treatment and preach a religion about dangerous spinal-manipulation curing all known diseases.

They hardly need detractors.

The profession is a bad joke. It's where college dropouts go when their parents threaten to kick them out of the house if they don't go back to finish a degree.

It ought to be outlawed. It's quackery at its worst.
Posted by: Black
Date: March 27, 2012 10:37PM
Chakravartin
Dennis S
...I know there are all kinds of people and organizations out to get them.

Huh?

All kinds of organizations out to get them?

Seriously?

They sell massage at a markup as a "medical" treatment and preach a religion about dangerous spinal-manipulation curing all known diseases.

They hardly need detractors.

The profession is a bad joke. It's where college dropouts go when their parents threaten to kick them out of the house if they don't go back to finish a degree.

It ought to be outlawed. It's quackery at its worst.

I feel like I'm sensing bias here (maybe.)

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Date: March 27, 2012 11:05PM
Black
I feel like I'm sensing bias here (maybe.)

A bias towards truth.

[www.guardian.co.uk]

[skepdic.com]
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 28, 2012 03:25AM
Eddie Izzard on Chiropractic:

So I had to go see a chiropractor in New York, and they're different to osteopaths, chiropractors, because of the spelling. Of course, they're both very powerful figures on the Scrabble board, though... "Chiropractor... chiropractor... chiropractor... 93 letters, chiropractor."

And they crack your bones, that's what they do, they crack your bones! And they take x-rays, but it’s pointless, because whatever is wrong with you…

"You've got a bad back, I'm gonna crack your bones.”

“You've got diphtheria, I'm gonna crack your bones.”

“Your head's come off! I'm gonna crack your bones.”

“It looks like your mother! I'm going to crack your bones. "

And then, when they crack your bones it goes ( painful sigh ) and then, “Ahh!” but not sort of ( relief sigh ), but ( disconcerted sigh ). All the way up your spine, "Crack your bones, crack your bones, crack your bones."

And they sort of arrange you into a nice, comfortable ( mimes chiropractor’s actions ) And sometimes it doesn't crack! Sometimes it just goes, " ". Then they pull a mallet from their belt and they try to make the noise. “Make the noise! I live for the noise..." And they do your head as well, around here, and they get it into a nice position, and you're thinking, "Where the…? No, I don't think it's supposed to go around that...!"

In the end, you just trust them, you trust them. They could have their fingers in your nostrils, one foot on the back of your underpants, and they're pushing your spine away with a broom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login