advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $112.65 ( +3.24 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to change the default iCal Alert Sound (instructions)
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: March 27, 2012 12:55PM
I live and die by iCal's Alerts, those little pop-up reminders that you can set for anything from phone calls to dental appointments. I will often set an Alert for 3 hours before a call, then postpone it another hour, then again 5 minutes before the call. I use Alerts a lot.

However, the default sound that comes with each Alert is Basso, an obnoxious sound to my ears. Yes, you can alter the sound to something other than Basso by editing each iCal event, but the default will always be Basso.

Here's an easy non-techie, non-terminal way to change the default sound to something more soothing.

Open up this folder: HD: System: Library: Sounds

- This is the folder that contains all of the default sounds that come with your Mac. If you're savvy enough to know how to find and place in there other sounds, feel free to do it. But if you're fine changing the iCal Alert sound to one of these standard default sounds, you're good to go.

- Note that in some of the steps below, you may need to enter your User password (you'll need to be the Admin on your computer to do this, but that's generally what most Mac users are).

- Change the name of Basso.aiff to something like Basso2.aiff.

- Decide on which of the other sounds you want to use for the new iCal Alert noise. I like Submarine, so I used that one.

- Drag this chosen new sound (in my case, the Submarine sound) to your Desktop; this will make a second copy of the sound, which will leave the original right where it is. (for reasons I'm not sure of, the normal Duplicate action doesn't work as it normally does for files deep in the System folder.

- Change the name of the sound file (now on your Desktop) to exactly "Basso.aiff."

- Now drag this new (fake) Basso.aiff sound file back into the Sounds folder.

- Restart your Mac.

Voilà. The next time an iCal Alert pops up, you'll hear a sweet bliss noise of your choosing, instead of the ugly Basso.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16G RAMYosemite 10.10.x Dual 24" ViewSonic LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 67
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014