advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
One thing that bothers me about iTunes.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: March 28, 2012 08:15AM
Well obviously there's more than one thing. But one thing I run into frequently when I'm updating my daughter's Touch is the fact that I have to have the Touch connected to update it. This just seems silly to me. I don't understand why iTunes cannot just "know" what is on the Touch (or any of my other iPods) w/o it being plugged in. I'd much rather take the time to carefully organize a "virtual" iPod and get it all set up, then when I get the chance, plug the real one in and let it sync.

Posted by: LaserKun
Date: March 28, 2012 08:21AM
bazook, don't get me started on iTunes... MANY things I don't like about the way iTunes/iPod touch/iPhone/iPad have to use iTunes to do things. To me, when Apple made iTunes, they were very close to making "junque" ("We don't make junk...").
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: One thing that bothers me about iTunes.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: March 28, 2012 09:12AM
Starting with iOS 5, you can now sink wireless with iCloud - you no longer have to connect an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad again to sync it. Check the preferences on both iTunes on your computer and your i device(s) to enable this feature.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 28, 2012 09:15AM
Forrest
Starting with iOS 5, you can now sink wireless with iCloud - you no longer have to connect an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad again to sync it. Check the preferences on both iTunes on your computer and your i device(s) to enable this feature.

and even more magically, when i purchase an app in iTunes on the mac it just appears on the iPhone without even syncing. i realize it's the Cloud but i'm still hazy on the concept as i haven't signed up for the Cloud yet.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: March 28, 2012 09:21AM
Forrest

Yeah. I tired that when it was initially available. It worked. It just worked very slowly and not very consistently. Probably b/c I am syncing 300-600mb movies for the most part. She has a 32gb iPod and it is filled with movies and tv shows. So I just shut it off.

Date: March 28, 2012 10:09AM
One of the issues I have is that I always get songs, books, etc., directly on my iPod touch; then, when you want to connect it to your computer, iTunes will replace all the data on the iPod touch (etc.) with data on iTunes on computer...
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 28, 2012 10:23AM
bazookaman
Forrest

Yeah. I tired that when it was initially available. It worked. It just worked very slowly and not very consistently. Probably b/c I am syncing 300-600mb movies for the most part. She has a 32gb iPod and it is filled with movies and tv shows. So I just shut it off.

Your complaint isn't about iTunes, but rather your network. Said another way, if all you were syncing were Safari bookmarks, those same WiFi syncs would be finished in about 3 seconds.
Date: March 28, 2012 10:28AM
LaserKun
One of the issues I have is that I always get songs, books, etc., directly on my iPod touch; then, when you want to connect it to your computer, iTunes will replace all the data on the iPod touch (etc.) with data on iTunes on computer...

Interesting ... iTunes asks me if I want to transfer purchases from my iDevice over to iTunes.
Date: March 28, 2012 10:32AM
graylocks
Forrest

and even more magically, when i purchase an app in iTunes on the mac it just appears on the iPhone without even syncing. i realize it's the Cloud but i'm still hazy on the concept as i haven't signed up for the Cloud yet.

You're referring to something else. Apple calls it "automatic downloads" and isn't related to iCloud at all. You have the option in iTunes to enable it, for purchases made on your iPhone, and on the iPhone in Settings > Store, for purchases made on your Mac's iTunes.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 28, 2012 10:47AM
deckeda
Your complaint isn't about iTunes, but rather your network. Said another way, if all you were syncing were Safari bookmarks, those same WiFi syncs would be finished in about 3 seconds.

That's not really a complaint about his network, but how slow any WiFi network would be when moving that much data. Bazookaman is right, the best way to move GBs of data to an iOS device is still USB 2.0.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the other options are now available. Home Sharing, WiFi sync, iCloud are all useful in different ways.
Date: March 28, 2012 11:38AM
Bazookaman, you can do it like this. When the iPod is within WifI range, that will be your "virtual iPod"--- get the sync ready.

After that, plug it into USB and the USB connection will take precedence. For whatever reason, switching between WiFi and USB is happily triggered by the USB connection ... the WiFi connection to the iPod won't "hang on" unless you were in the middle of a sync.

If you want to experiment more with a WiFi-only sync, remember that proximity is important. Wireless speed decreases as everything moves away from the router. And if the Mac is also wireless, there goes part of your local file sharing speed.
Date: March 28, 2012 12:21PM
deckeda

Yes. My complaint IS about iTunes. I just used my daughter's Touch as an example. I also have an iPod Classic, a Nano and a Shuffle. Last I checked, those were not wireless. I would love to have a "profile" for each...a virtual iPod that I can rearrange and order to my liking w/o actually having the iPod plugged in.

Date: March 28, 2012 01:57PM
deckeda
LaserKun

Interesting ... iTunes asks me if I want to transfer purchases from my iDevice over to iTunes.

deck, I assumed we knew that about iTunes. Shouldn't assume I guess. Anyway, you're right, it does ask, but that is no comfort when the result is the same whether automatic or not. In other words, IF you do allow a sync, iTunes always takes precedence over the iPod. Remember Senuti and the like? A definite felt need to get data FROM one's iPod into iTunes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 01:58PM by LaserKun.
Date: March 28, 2012 03:24PM
bazookaman
deckeda

Yes. My complaint IS about iTunes. I just used my daughter's Touch as an example. I also have an iPod Classic, a Nano and a Shuffle. Last I checked, those were not wireless. I would love to have a "profile" for each...a virtual iPod that I can rearrange and order to my liking w/o actually having the iPod plugged in.

I forgot to read your mind and know not all of your portables can sync over WiFi. I won't make that mistake next time, if there is a next time.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: March 28, 2012 04:28PM
deckeda
I forgot to read your mind and know not all of your portables can sync over WiFi. I won't make that mistake next time, if there is a next time.

When discussing an ecosystem it is helpful to understand the full range of devices at play.
Date: March 28, 2012 05:01PM
I agree, a never-ending string of possibilities would be most helpful and entirely practical. For example, someone could ask something about the Finder in OS X 10.7 (and only that version) and each appropriate response would include all possible answers going back to the first Macintosh, and whether or not MultiFinder was used.

Instead of directly answering a question as stated, each response could be paragraphs long or better yet, mere links to the Internet to Amazon books covering the subject.

As I look back, it's now obvious I should have couched my response in terms of iTunes 1 and iTunes 2, for they are germane to OS 9. (I realize it's a shaky assumption someone wouldn't be using OS 8.6 for example, but I'm clearly lazy!)

And who can ignore other things within the ecosystem such as the Motorola "ROKR" phones that could sync to iTunes? You mean to tell me no one still has a MotoROKR??? No one???? Those don't have WiFi, do they? And those phones are much newer than the MultiFinder introduced with black-and-white Macs!! As recently as December, Apple was actively publishing a support page regarding them. But, "Apple being Apple," they are callous and uncaring and have declared the ROKR yesterday's news.
Date: March 28, 2012 05:48PM
bazookaman
Well obviously there's more than one thing. But one thing I run into frequently when I'm updating my daughter's Touch is the fact that I have to have the Touch connected to update it. This just seems silly to me. I don't understand why iTunes cannot just "know" what is on the Touch (or any of my other iPods) w/o it being plugged in. I'd much rather take the time to carefully organize a "virtual" iPod and get it all set up, then when I get the chance, plug the real one in and let it sync.

I suppose it's too much to ask for someone to actually read my original post.

Date: March 28, 2012 07:13PM
That's great, but as your bold 'n highlighted part reveals, it's apparently not too much to ask for non-WiFi iPods to communicate with iTunes with some way other than a wired connection.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018