Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $567.40 ( +42.65 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
friend is in closed psychiatric ward
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 28, 2012 12:22PM
I got in touch with an old friend via email, to find out a few weeks ago that he wasn't doing very well. He was a very successful professional; he was in various positions such as vice-president, COO, CTO of respectable companies. Now he's in a "closed psychiatric ward" and I am surprised they let him have email access and he can even do some work. I would imagine they would take one's laptop and cell phone in such an institution so they can forget about the outside world and their problems and focus on their own treatment.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: friend is in closed psychiatric ward
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 28, 2012 12:36PM
Its impossible to know whats going on. I had a friend who dealt with the affects of the murder of a family member MANY years later. They drugged him up and kept him for a couple of weeks. It took him quite a while to get out of the system but he's perfectly fine today.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 28, 2012 12:39PM
Best of luck to your friend. Fortunately it's not all electroshock and Nurse Ratched any more...
Posted by: Janit
Date: March 28, 2012 12:44PM
space-time
I got in touch with an old friend via email, to find out a few weeks ago that he wasn't doing very well. He was a very successful professional; he was in various positions such as vice-president, COO, CTO of respectable companies. Now he's in a "closed psychiatric ward" and I am surprised they let him have email access and he can even do some work. I would imagine they would take one's laptop and cell phone in such an institution so they can forget about the outside world and their problems and focus on their own treatment.

Every situation is different. Some people are sequestered to protect them from the outside world, others to protect them from themselves. Sounds like his doctors feel that maintaining some contact with the outside world is beneficial to him rather than detrimental. It is good that they are treating him as an individual.
Posted by: sekker
Date: March 28, 2012 01:57PM
Glad they are getting the help they need
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: March 28, 2012 02:04PM
It's always bad to go visit someone in the hospital and discover there are no door knobs on the inside of the doors.

Fred
Posted by: haikuman
Date: March 28, 2012 02:13PM
I wonder what medication he is getting . . . I have noticed there may be some individuals
on the dark side that have lost theirs angel smiley

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: billb
Date: March 28, 2012 02:17PM
space-time

Too many possible reason to have ended up there.

If he's there for observation (again, myriad of reasons) only it's possible he could do just about anything except leave.

Even ambien and vicodin can be nasty to quit for some people.

Logen Aryn Ryley - Happy Birthday
July 25
The Truth Will Always Be
another favorite

Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: March 28, 2012 02:17PM
Good luck to your friend. It seems that recently we are surrounded by people who, for one reason or another, have reached the breaking point.

[www.flickr.com] [picasaweb.google.com]
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 28, 2012 02:34PM
I have a friend who has gone into treatment a few times. He is always out of touch for a few weeks, but as soon as he regains his footing, he is encouraged to reach out to others.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 28, 2012 04:36PM
Sometimes the best place for someone to be is in the psychiatric unit. Nothing wrong with that.

Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the world every year.
Posted by: August West
Date: March 28, 2012 05:42PM
Visited a friend in this situation, he appreciated the support, but over time refused to stay on the meds and became a lost cause. Life can be tough.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login