Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT: Who here frequents sit-down cafés?
Posted by: h'
Date: December 11, 2005 11:18PM
Opinions wanted.
You order an espresso drink (e.g. a cappucino or americano or whatever) and when you're finished the waitperson tops it off with "regular" coffee.
Should there be an extra charge for the "refill"?
Please state your general location if you respond.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT: Who here frequents sit-down cafés?
Posted by: Silencio
Date: December 12, 2005 12:07AM
I can't think of a single café in San Fran that does free refills. I also can't think of a café that would take a pot o'coffee to your table and top you off, either.

Many diners and regular old restaurants do have free refills of regular coffee, though.

If they charge extra for refills, they really should ask you first if you want one.
Posted by: solution
Date: December 12, 2005 12:56AM
Free refills only really work if you buy regular coffee in a restaurant of some kind. No free refills after buying an espresso-based bev. No free refills of any kind in a coffee shop. I'm not sure where café falls in the restaurant<--->coffee shop model.

That goes for the SF bay area, Gilroy to Healdsburg, and out to Dixon.

So do I think it should be free? No, because that's the rule I'd have if I ran a café.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2005 12:57AM by solution.
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 12, 2005 01:05AM
the neighborhood coffeeshop refills espresso drinks for 1/2 price … regular coffee the same … (people tend to hang out for a long time, so the 1/2 price is sort of like seat rent)

[www.livingroomcafe.com]
Posted by: laarree
Date: December 12, 2005 01:07AM
Espresso drinks require more manual labor than regular coffee--I can't imagine a refill of an espresso drink would be free anywhere. It's not like a cafe brews up a pot of 24 cups of espresso and tops you off from that.

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Date: December 12, 2005 07:05AM
laarree Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Espresso drinks require more manual labor than
> regular coffee--I can't imagine a refill of an
> espresso drink would be free anywhere. It's not
> like a cafe brews up a pot of 24 cups of espresso
> and tops you off from that.
>
> ..................................................
> .................................
> *We are just a quarantined people under an evil
> sun.*
> --- Richard S. Shaver
Um-- read the question?

Thanks for the other replies.
I've thought it customary to not charge for a coffee refill for an espresso drink . . .

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
-beerman
Re: Who here frequents sit-down cafés?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 12, 2005 11:33AM
I would find it very odd for someone to walk over and top off an espresso drink with some regular coffee. It seems sort of presumptuous to me. Or do they ask first?
Date: December 12, 2005 12:06PM
OK, you finish your espresso-based drink, others at the table have regular coffee, staff comes over to top off cofees and offers same to esprosso-drink person.
I've experienced this a lot as a courtesy.
I was in a new-ish cafe yesterday and was surprised they charge for it. Was thinking I'd mention it to the owner when I'm not in a position to try to offer me anything free (that's my #1 most hated response to pointing out a problem).

-beerman
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 12, 2005 12:12PM
NOW I get it. It sounded before like the waiter just waltzed over and put coffee in your espresso cup, which as I said seemed very presumptuous.

Yes, under the circumstances you describe, that refill absolutely should have been free.
Posted by: laarree
Date: December 12, 2005 04:28PM
h' Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> laarree Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> Um-- read the question?
>
> Thanks for the other replies.
> I've thought it customary to not charge for a
> coffee refill for an espresso drink . . .

I did read your question--I misunderstood it.
Actually, for all the times I sit in cafes (which is very often),
I've not experienced what you're talking about.

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 146
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020