advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Deja vu: credit card hacked again
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: April 13, 2012 11:49AM
Fresh on the heels of this and having gone through this and this, our Chase Continental/United Visa was compromised yesterday.

I had alerts set up to email me whenever an online charge is posted (no matter what amount) and whenever any charge over $300 has posted. So, I get an email yesterday afternoon that there has been a $940 and $40 online charge for JetBlue Airways posted.

I phoned my wife to see if she knew what those were and she didn't. So, I called Visa and had the account shut down, the charges reversed and new cards prepared for shipment.

This is getting old. What can be done (aside from going back to a pure cash and barter society) to minimize this? We practice safe online buying habits, etc., but we just keep getting burned.

Now begins the process of updating all of our automatic charge accounts once we get the new credit card number. Ugh.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Deja vu: credit card hacked again
Posted by: Black
Date: April 13, 2012 11:56AM
We practice safe online buying habits, etc., but we just keep getting burned.

Does this mean you're using virtual credit cards or whatever your institution calls them?

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: GGD
Date: April 13, 2012 11:57AM
"Now begins the process of updating all of our automatic charge accounts once we get the new credit card number. Ugh."

If your card service supports Virtual Card Numbers, you might consider using a unique one for each of these automatic charges. Might even help finding the source of the breech if it's one of those.

Seems like airline tickets would be a fairly simple thing for their fraud dept to find who purchased them, given all of the passenger ID requirements these days.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 13, 2012 12:02PM
I've been "hacked" only once, about 15 years ago when some company pretended that I subscribed to their p0rn website. I called the company, they stopped the subscription but refused to reimburse me those 2 months. I called the CC and they reversed the charges. I have not been hacked ever since. knocking on wood. I did get emails from Citi that a bunch of account were compromised and they gave us new cards, but as far as I know, no one used our old cards. I guess we shop online about 30x per month on average. Usually we stick to major retailers (amazon, apple, newegg, sears, etc). If I have to deal with a small reseller, I use paypal or VCC
Posted by: raz
Date: April 13, 2012 12:05PM
It's just as likely that the security breach is someplace local as online. Perhaps a waitress or a barista is copying numbers?

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: April 13, 2012 12:18PM
I'm reminded of this:
"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action”

Some place where you use that credit card regularly is the culprit...
Posted by: billb
Date: April 13, 2012 12:41PM
I'd be looking for a commonality for that , that , that and that , too.
Posted by: TLB
Date: April 13, 2012 01:21PM
Probably not since they haven't told you and keep shutting down cards, but are you sure Chase completely shut down the original card? I had a similar problem years ago and it was the credit card company posting charges from the compromised card to my new card for 30 days as a "courtesy" so any valid charges wouldn't get bounced. It was my responsibility to short the wheat from the chaff and notify them.
Posted by: particleman
Date: April 13, 2012 01:51PM
I have had two Chase cards that have been compromised. I have not had an issue with any other card provider.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: April 13, 2012 05:26PM
I don't think Chase offers the virtual cards, but I'll double check.

It would be extremely difficult to figure out if this is a local job b/c the card is literally used for almost anything and everything local and online.

I have a separate business card for my Professional Association expenses.
Date: April 13, 2012 05:44PM
My money's on inside job (Chase employee.)

Posted by: josntme
Date: April 13, 2012 06:24PM
I had a Chase CC that was compromised about 5 times. I no longer use Chase.
Posted by: Michael
Date: April 13, 2012 07:59PM
I had a Citi card compromised today for $1350 at a travel agency. They declined the charge and called us. We told them it was not valid. This is a card that is our online-only card, so the number has been used at quite a few online stores.

When I suggested that we needed a new card and number, the guy in Bangladore seemed rather surprised but went ahead and did it. It doesn't inspire confidence...
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: April 13, 2012 08:43PM
Ugh, twice here, both with Chase.
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 14, 2012 08:56AM
except a few cases with Citi, seems like most of the cases are from Chase...

note to myself: avoid Chase CC
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 14, 2012 10:35AM
Hi everyone,

I have a Chase card. Never compromised. I had a USAA card. Compromised on more than one occasion. I had an Amex card. Compromised on one occasion. It seems to me that some of you are making a causal connection between compromised cards and Chase. I believe this is a mistake since Chase likely has absolutely nothing to do with how the card got compromised. So, avoiding a card from Chase because of a compromised card is pretty foolish, especially since some of their cards offer the best benefits right now, i.e. cash back, warranty protection, etc.

The more important question is how did Chase handle the situation? If Chase took good care of you, then there is no reason to not stick with them. But, you felt they didn't stand by you for whatever reason, then definitely walk away from them. I did that with Amex for nearly a decade. I wasn't happy at all with how they handled the situation when my original Amex card got compromised. But, then, after reading about the benefits provided by a new card offered by them, I decided to give an Amex another chance.

BTW, if you want to use virtual cards, seriously consider a Discover card. They offer very good virtual card services. Or, so it seems when looking at the site. I haven't tried them yet but will likely do so in the future.

Robert
Date: April 14, 2012 11:59PM
Robert M
Hi everyone,

I have a Chase card. Never compromised. I had a USAA card. Compromised on more than one occasion. I had an Amex card. Compromised on one occasion. It seems to me that some of you are making a causal connection between compromised cards and Chase. I believe this is a mistake since Chase likely has absolutely nothing to do with how the card got compromised. So, avoiding a card from Chase because of a compromised card is pretty foolish, especially since some of their cards offer the best benefits right now, i.e. cash back, warranty protection, etc.

The more important question is how did Chase handle the situation? If Chase took good care of you, then there is no reason to not stick with them. But, you felt they didn't stand by you for whatever reason, then definitely walk away from them. I did that with Amex for nearly a decade. I wasn't happy at all with how they handled the situation when my original Amex card got compromised. But, then, after reading about the benefits provided by a new card offered by them, I decided to give an Amex another chance.

BTW, if you want to use virtual cards, seriously consider a Discover card. They offer very good virtual card services. Or, so it seems when looking at the site. I haven't tried them yet but will likely do so in the future.

Robert

Do you use your Chase card much?

Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 15, 2012 08:29AM
Black,

Regularly. I generally switch between the Chase card and the Discover card, depending on who's offering the better cash back during that period. If the cash back bonus is the same, it becomes a crapshoot. smiling smiley

In all seriousness, the idea that Chase is part of the cause when it comes to the compromises of its credit cards doesn't make sense at all for many reasons. For example, it costs Chase $$$ to deal with credit card fraud. Why would they do something intentionally that hurts them financially? I'm betting fraud costs Chase an atrocious amount of money when you combine it all together.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 309
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015