The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Forecasters warn of life-threatening storms
Posted by: haikuman
Date: April 14, 2012 12:16AM
[news.yahoo.com]

In an unusual move, national weather forecasters have issued an early warning that conditions are ripe for violent tornadoes to rip through the Midwest this weekend.
According to a story by the Associated Press, the expected weekend storms will stretch from Texas to Minnesota and could be a "high-end, life threatening event."
On Friday, a tornado was seen near the University of Oklahoma campus in Norman just after 4 p.m. local time, according to a local television station. There were no reported injuries.

This is only the second time in history that the Storm Prediction Center issued a high-risk warning more than 24 hours in advance, Russ Schneider, director of the center told the AP.
The worst weather is expected to develop late Saturday afternoon between Oklahoma City and Salina, Kan., Other areas also could see severe storms with baseball-sized hail and winds of up to 70 mph, forecasters told the AP.
The warning issued Friday covers parts of Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas.

[www.spc.noaa.gov]

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Forecasters warn of life-threatening storms
Date: April 14, 2012 01:29AM
[news.yahoo.com]

Tornado hits Oklahoma, more expected this weekend

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Forecasters are warning of a major tornado outbreak in Kansas and Oklahoma this weekend, and Oklahoma got a first taste of it on Friday as a twister touched down near the National Weather Service office in Norman.
A tornado was seen near the University of Oklahoma campus in Norman just after 4 p.m. local time - the same town that holds the National Storm Prediction Center, according to a Twitter post from Rick Smith, a National Weather Service meteorologist.
The Norman tornado ripped roofs from buildings, downed power lines and uprooted trees across Norman, a town of 110,000 people 20 miles south of Oklahoma City, television images showed. City Hall was among the structures damaged, said Keli Cain, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management
An operator at the University of Oklahoma said people had been warned to get to a basement or low floor.
"I was watching this tornado on TV, which was neat until I realized it was right here in Norman," said the operator, who did not give a name.
Atmospheric conditions for the weekend will be similar to those that caused severe storms in parts of the Midwest and Southeast in early March that killed more than 50 people, said Steve Weiss, science support branch chief for the National Storm Prediction Center.

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: DP
Date: April 14, 2012 06:57AM
That time of year. Y'all keep your eyes to the sky and ears tuned to the warnings.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 14, 2012 07:48AM
I saw this on CBS Evening News. I was a bit shocked at the since of urgency they put on this. They obviously
see the signs of something really nasty or they wouldn't have issued it. As a weather nut since childhood
I was thinking to myself I didn't recall ever hearing such a weather warning being issued like this.

If you're in that area I'd be on my toes this weekend and stay safe !

Grateful11
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: April 14, 2012 10:51AM
More detail, links, and discussion here:

[wattsupwiththat.com]

[wattsupwiththat.com]

/Mr Lynn (home recuperating from a hernia operation, listening to myself on the radio)

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

New blog! [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Even newer blog! [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: April 14, 2012 10:54AM
Hope your recovery goes well Mr Lynn

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Date: April 14, 2012 11:20AM
Thanks, haikuman. I'm actually on day 5 after the surgery, but still have some discomfort and, surprisingly, a lot of lethargy and fragility, I guess from anesthesia after-effects. Should be up to snuff by next week, though.

At least we don't have to worry about tornados here in eastern Massachusetts (closest that I can recall hearing about was in Worcester, and that was a rarity).

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 11:22AM by mrlynn.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 14, 2012 11:21AM
We had thunderstorms in Sacramento a couple of days ago, which is fairly unusual. Most of our rain comes from systems that have nimbostratus clouds.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 14, 2012 04:52PM
Hey Mr Lynn I hope your recovery goes well. Take it easy and definitely no heavy lifting winking smiley

I downloaded the App to listen to WHRB, nice stuff this morning. I like Bluegrass and old time Country, don't care too much for the new Country.

Grateful11
Date: April 14, 2012 11:22PM
Thanks, Grateful. That's what I look for: "No heavy lifting."

If by 'new country' you mean what's getting played on so-called 'country radio' these days, I agree with you. But there's plenty of independent new country that's like the old country in spirit, and I play that. And there's guys like Alan Jackson and George Strait making solid country music, too.

Back OT, looks like the tornados predicted did develop, but so far haven't done a lot of damage:

[www.latimes.com]

/Mr Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2012 11:23PM by mrlynn.
Date: April 15, 2012 01:54AM
I hope everyone is ok out there ~!~

[news.yahoo.com]

[us.cnn.com]

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 86
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014