advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $97.19 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sorry- another-- need help with file path-- trying to change default screenshot location
Posted by: Black
Date: April 14, 2012 12:22AM
I just realized my screenshots are not going to their folder since SDD install 3 days ago. Trying various commands but not having any luck.

I've looked at about 6 of these hits:
[www.google.com].

Used this method without trouble in the past.

Tried all kinds of options.

I want the files to go to a folder called Screenshots that's in the Documents folder of my Home folder. There's also an alias on the desktop that it could point to.

What would the path be?

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sorry- another-- need help with file path-- trying to change default screenshot location
Posted by: space-time
Date: April 14, 2012 06:32AM
did you log out?
Re: Sorry- another-- need help with file path-- trying to change default screenshot location
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: April 14, 2012 06:43AM
Black
I want the files to go to a folder called Screenshots that's in the Documents folder of my Home folder. There's also an alias on the desktop that it could point to.

What would the path be?

Try:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/{shortname}/Documents/Screenshots

where {shortname} is the name for your home directory that appears in your boot volume's /Users directory.

That should do it for you.

=TC
"Ye Olde Farte of Ye Internette"--a Wilted Tindmill® Production
Date: April 14, 2012 07:30AM
TheCaber
Black

What would the path be?

Try:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/{shortname}/Documents/Screenshots

where {shortname} is the name for your home directory that appears in your boot volume's /Users directory.

That should do it for you.

Thanks. Not working for whatever reason.

Date: April 14, 2012 07:31AM
space-time
did you log out?

Yup-- the tip that the killall command doesn't work and that you have to log out and back in is on most of the sites referenced in the OP.

Posted by: bik
Date: April 14, 2012 10:06AM
This may be one of those situations where you need symbolic links instead of aliases.

If you need to tell the terminal to tell the OS where to go, there is a good chance that an alias in the path won't work.

Something like this may help.
[www.macupdate.com]
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: April 14, 2012 11:25AM
The target folder is on the hard drive? Then use the full path to the folder on the hard drive including the /Volumes preface.

Something like this:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Volumes/{name of hard drive}/Users/{shortname}/Documents/Screenshots
Date: April 14, 2012 04:48PM
bik
This may be one of those situations where you need symbolic links instead of aliases.

If you need to tell the terminal to tell the OS where to go, there is a good chance that an alias in the path won't work.

Something like this may help.
[www.macupdate.com]

I downloaded this (love the "rtfd" extension) and made a few "symbolic link" folders but I have no idea how it relates to changing the default location for screenshots as per the Terminal instructions and/or my apparent file path confusion.

Date: April 14, 2012 05:07PM
Chakravartin
The target folder is on the hard drive? Then use the full path to the folder on the hard drive including the /Volumes preface.

Something like this:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Volumes/{name of hard drive}/Users/{shortname}/Documents/Screenshots

Thanks for trying. It gives "bad argument" from the hard drive name onward. Need to try again when I'm not so tired maybe.

Date: April 14, 2012 05:15PM
I did it. Saw the path described here:
[www.tuaw.com]
And put the Screenshots folder at the root level of my user folder so I could use this exact command with minimal change. Working now.
By the way the killall command does work-- no logging out needed.
Thanks for helping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login