Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.53 ( +1.37 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Connecting my iMac to my old TV
Posted by: bedouin
Date: April 17, 2012 09:30PM
I have an iMac 2.66Ghz running Lion and would like to stream video to my 32" Tube TV.

In the past I had on older PPC iMac (white plastic with iSight) I had a adaptor that plugged into the back and it had S-video out. Then from there to my TV.

This iMac has a different port and I can not seem to find an adapter with an S-vidoe out.

Apple TV does not have the connections either.

Anyone have other ideas?

TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Connecting my iMac to my old TV
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: April 17, 2012 10:05PM
What external video port is on that iMac - MiniDVI? I don't think Apple made any video adapters that went out to S-Video after the full-sized DVI to analog video (s-video and yellow video) dongle from years ago. I might be wrong, though.

Have you searched Monoprice yet?

Jeff
Posted by: D. Lawson
Date: April 17, 2012 10:28PM
I have used the converter box linked below to connect an HTPC to a 32" tube via S-Video. You would likely need some sort of DVI-to-VGA adapter for the iMac, but I am almost certain it would work. The HTPC's video card only has DVI and HDMI out, so I had to use a DVI-to-VGA adapter to even connect the HTPC to this box, and it worked fine.

The box is USB-powered, so it doesn't need an AC adapter, but (with the HTPC, anyway) it would forget its settings if the computer lost power. It only required a couple clicks to readjust the horizontal and vertical alignment, so it isn't too much of an inconvenience, and the computer really should have been on a UPS of some sort, anyway.

[www.monoprice.com]
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: April 18, 2012 08:18AM
we have a macbook 2.4ghz c2d (mdl. 4,1 in system profiler) to which we've connected a mini-dvi to s-video adapter that i was positive we got from meritline, but my order history doesn't reflect it. maybe we got it on ebay. i recall it cost $6-$10. works great. i'd check meritline for one. i've always had good luck with them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2012 08:19AM by goodmanx.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login