advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Awesome day of picture taking at my secret heron/egret nesting area (BIG BW)
Posted by: hal
Date: April 20, 2012 03:17PM
It begins with at the end of a beaten down road at the edge of civilization. This area is UGLY - near the Port of Sacramento - lot of warehouses and general ugliness.

Right next to a fenced in pile of gigantic spools and other debris was a large puddle - with a little birdy taking a drink. You can find beauty anywhere...

Walking on down the levee road, I see some wildlife here and there...

You can see my destination on the left side of the road up ahead - those trees near the end of that grove...

Looks like a third world housing complex on a hillside - it is actually lots of bee hives (yes, the world's missing bees have been found by ME!)

Not the best picture - too bad, I had ample opportunity to get a good shot. Once again, as I approached the area, this pair or truly badass hawks came over to intimidate me. I think they make a living off of unattended baby birds. These are really big hawks and VERY protective of their area.

On my big monitor, I can see that the right leg has a tag on it...

...and here we are... big birds EVERYWHERE...

Sorry for the huge verticalness - I love this picture and this is how it should be seen (only BIGGER)

Caught this guy right after he fluffed - rare!

Funny story: last time I was out here, I was trying to set up a good shot by getting into position without being seen. This involved a LOT of difficult hiking around. This is an odd area - two of the three nesting trees are essentially up on pedestals. Literally, there are these giant square blocks of ground that those trees stand upon.

So I was climbing up the nearly vertical wall of one of these boxes to get close to the base of the tree. Once I got there, I planned on suddenly making myself visible and that would shock all of the birds into the air at once - makes a nice shot.

So I jump up there and wave my arms, then quickly level the camera toward the top of the tree to get the shot. But from lower down near the base of the tree emerges an owl that flies right over my head on his way outta there. I was too shocked to get the picture that I wanted and was too alarmed to get a shot of the owl. BUT I vowed to look more closely next time...

And here he.. err, she is... with a baby looking over her shoulder! No wonder I didn't see her before. Look at that camouflage! First time that I've ever seen an owl in a natural nest...

btw, there are baby herons and egrets too - I can hear them, but they are deep in their larges nest that are WAY too high...

As I was taking owl shots, I kept hearing this pretty singing nearby. This swallow was right over my head...

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Awesome day of picture taking at my secret heron/egret nesting area (BIG BW)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 20, 2012 03:22PM
On great days when i can't make it outside, these pics are a little breath of fresh air! Thanks, hal.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Re: Awesome day of picture taking at my secret heron/egret nesting area (BIG BW)
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 20, 2012 03:40PM
Thank you, as always!

Posted by: btfc
Date: April 20, 2012 03:41PM
Wow! Hopefully you'll get owlets, they are so cute!
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 20, 2012 03:57PM
Great pictures! I always enjoy looking at them smiling smiley
Posted by: JoeM
Date: April 20, 2012 04:08PM
Bird- Meister! You rule, sir!!

JoeM
Posted by: dohc76
Date: April 20, 2012 04:11PM
Thanks for posting the great photos.

I just had an Owl in a tree in my front yard earlier this week. It was at night and barely got a shot with my p&s camera. Still trying to figure out what species it was. I think a Short Eared Owl which are pretty rare on Long Island as far as I have read.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 20, 2012 04:15PM
You entered the bird looking glass Hal. Great stuff.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 20, 2012 04:27PM
I belive you have entered the OrnoPhiloOrgasm Zone. Well done indeed !
Posted by: freeradical
Date: April 20, 2012 04:27PM
That's a great set of pics!
Posted by: blooz
Date: April 20, 2012 04:34PM
Nice! I live out in the country and I only see a heron like twice a summer.
But I do still have the eagle sitting up there next to my deck.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Acer
Date: April 20, 2012 06:15PM

SOON
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 20, 2012 06:20PM
thanks.

more owl photos, please
Posted by: h linamen
Date: April 20, 2012 06:33PM
Which camera are you shooting?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 20, 2012 07:09PM
Very nice shots !

Grateful11
Posted by: lost in space
Date: April 20, 2012 09:23PM
The vertical one of the egret is stunning, the way the light plays on the wing feathers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 125
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018