advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
digital copy with blu-ray
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: April 21, 2012 12:59PM
Wanted to buy the blu-ray version of latest MI for family but that wont play in our computers or car system. If I get the package with the digital copy will I be able to burn that to a disc and play in computer and car?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: digital copy with blu-ray
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 21, 2012 01:37PM
There was no version with the Blu-Ray, DVD and the Digital copy? I've bought several in that configuration, not that particular movie though.

Grateful11
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: April 21, 2012 01:57PM
this question also applies to all blu-ray with dig copy movies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2012 02:00PM by pbarra1.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: April 21, 2012 02:24PM
More information on the computer system and car system, please?

VGA connectivity? Likely the HDCP isn't passing through for some reason.

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: April 21, 2012 02:31PM
Do you mean burning to DVD from the m4v file? No, you can't do that - the file is encrypted and generally requires iTunes authorization to be played.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: April 21, 2012 02:35PM
I misread.

No, you won't be able to burn the digital copy to a disc and play.

What you can do is rip the actual Blu-Ray into an .mp4 (or whatever) and then play it from the file directly or burn it onto a disc. You can also rip/convert Blu-Ray to a DVD, with the right software.

Posted by: guitarist
Date: April 21, 2012 03:13PM
Blu Ray discs that inclue a bonus digitial version of the movie, it's a digital fie, formatted for playing on an Apple TV, or on your computer, or a streaming player, etc., It doesn't mean "key to unlock the content on the Blu Ray disc so you can burn duplicate discs". The disc itself is still copy-protected. The bonus digital file included isn't playable on a DVD player.

If copying the discs so you can burn discs to play in disc players is your goal, you'll probaby need to visit the dark side, explore options to have a PC with a Blu Ray drive, or get an external Blu Ray drive for your Mac, then purchase (or use demo) of Makemkv software, then go through a few steps to rip and save the content on your hard drive, then transfer and burn to a playable discs. There's no fully legitimate way to do this, though using some of these illegitimate methods, it's possible, as long as it doesn't have any hard core protection scheme or complicated subtitles.

When I purchased "Inglorious Basterds" it included a digital copy, pretty nifty. I added it to my library to stream to my Apple TV. The HD resolution is quite good. It's a nice bonus, when Blu Ray movies include that .
Date: April 21, 2012 04:47PM
pbarra1
this question also applies to all blu-ray with dig copy movies

I'm so sorry. With the way your question is worded it sounds as if you haven't bought it yet. I just checked 2 places
online and there is no Blu-Ray and Digital Copy version that doesn't come with the reg. DVD and that would solve
your whole dilemma $22 and problem solved.

Grateful11
Posted by: sekker
Date: April 21, 2012 06:27PM
I'm starting to rip my DRM BR media for this very reason - so I can make my own, DRM-free digital copies.
The entire setup is less than $100 including a BR drive plus ripping software.
Date: April 21, 2012 06:52PM
sekker
I'm starting to rip my DRM BR media for this very reason - so I can make my own, DRM-free digital copies.
The entire setup is less than $100 including a BR drive plus ripping software.

What size files are you ending up with and what software? I gotta bunch of Blu-Rays I bought at a local Blockbuster
on their last week of business.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2012 06:52PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: April 21, 2012 07:36PM
I rip my Blu-rays as well. Most of the digital copies are not in HD. Ripping and then converting with Handbrake solves that problem.
Posted by: testcase
Date: April 22, 2012 07:31AM
Doesn't the last Toast version(s) have a BluRay option / plug in?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 225
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018