advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $106.98 ( -0.36 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re-upholstering sofa and chair: what fabric?
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: April 24, 2012 12:36AM
I'm moving ahead with my plan to reupholster my sofa and chair. I know I could by new for less, but I really like these pieces and have not found anything I like better.

Enough justification. What kind of fabric do I want? It needs to be resistant to two cats who are actually very good about not scratching, but it will eventually happen. Likewise, sooner or later someone's gonna puke up a furball or half-eaten kibble, and it probably won't be me. I will, however, be likely to spill my drink or drop a taco now and then.

I sit in the chair far more than the sofa, it being my movie-watching seat. I will request arm covers to be made.

So far, one upholsterer has suggested ultrasuede for durability and easy cleaning. I'll consider it, but I'm not crazy about now the nap changes color when you rub it. But I could probably adapt.

I do not think I want leather or faux-leather.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Re-upholstering sofa and chair: what fabric?
Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 24, 2012 01:20AM
Go to a fabric store and chose an upholstery fabric you like. @#$%& will happen regardless of what your choice is, so chose a fabric you enjoy now.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: April 24, 2012 03:29AM
Have the material teflon treated. It does not change the look or color of the fabric but will make it very stain resistant.

If you have good quality frames then re-upholstering is a good idea. The furniture you get at places like Rooms 2 Go is cheap for a reason.

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Posted by: M>B>
Date: April 24, 2012 03:57AM
With two cats I would go with Kelvar...

[en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 24, 2012 06:41AM
All I can add is.. as you consider fabrics and treatments... remember that it needs to feel comfy on your legs, back, and tush. For example, "Microfober" fabrics, which are all the rage, make my wife and I twitchy when we run our hands over it... kind of a nails on a chalkboard th ing. So we avoid it like the plague.
Posted by: rz
Date: April 24, 2012 08:06AM
my wife reupholstered a chair and sofa a few years ago... ended up costing as much as buying new. But she chose really nice, high quality fabric. Getting the old fabric off was a bitch. Practically had to take the whole sofa apart in a few places. But it looks really nice.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: April 24, 2012 08:41AM
Uncle Wig,

An idea... If you're going to have the sofa and chair reupholstered, find out if it's feasible to go with a slipcover design. Meaning, instead of permanent upholstering, go with fabric that can be easily removed and thrown into a washer/driver or brought for drycleaning.

The situation you're facing is why I only purchase slipcovered furnishing. It can be a bit more expensive but, in the end, well worth it. If the slipcover gets worn or torn, replace the slipcover at a fraction of the cost of new furniture and/or reupholstering. Or, just dirty or something spills on it, remove the slipcover, wash and dry it or bring it to the dry cleaners. Or, if you redecorate, swap one slipcover for another.

The only time I won't go for slipcovered furniture is when it's a temporary furnishing and/or I plan to just toss it when I don't want it anymore.

Robert
Posted by: 3d
Date: April 24, 2012 08:54AM
My parents had a corduroy sofa years ago. The most comfy fabric ever.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login