advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Random Q: Which museums put you in your happy place?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 25, 2012 10:16AM
I'm a museum person. I didn't like the art museums my parents dragged us to when we were teenagers because I couldn't appreciate any of it yet but all the others were great! On a cross country (USA) trip 19 years ago, the future Mrs Z. and I spent 6 of 7 days in museums in Chicago and NY before our feet fell off but it was soooo worth it. I've never been out of the US so my choices are quite restricted but my 2 faves are:

NY: American Museum of Natural History, I practically grew up there
LA: The Getty Villa, Mrs. Z had just returned from Greece when we first visited - very apropos

How about you?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Random Q: Which museums put you in your happy place?
Posted by: Manlove
Date: April 25, 2012 10:20AM
Natural History Museum, London. Spent days in here as a kid.
British Museum, London. Spent weeks in here as a young man.
The Horniman Museum, which was old and dusty and full of drawers you could pull out to discover the exhibits- a fantastic, wonderful place. They revamped it recently and it lost it's charm.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 25, 2012 10:22AM
Paris, France: The Louvre
DC: Smithsonian - Air and Space
Dayton, Oh: National Museum of the Air Force
DC: Smithsonian - Natural History part
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: April 25, 2012 10:30AM
Paris, France: The d'Orsay
San Jose: Rosicrucian Museum--Mummies scared the heck out of me as a kid, but still fascinate
NY: Metropolitan Museum of Art--something around every corner
Amsterdam: Van Gogh Museum, even with the crowds
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 25, 2012 11:12AM
Carnegie Museum of Natural History (one of the best dinosaur exhibits anywhere): Pittsburgh
Carnegie Museum of Art : (surprisingly comprehensive for a city the size of Pittsburgh. I always forget that Pittsburgh used to be one of the richest cities in the country at one point)
Mattress Factory: Pittsburgh (interactive installation art)
Warhol Museum: Pittsburgh (a celebration of Andy Warhol. I didn't get his art until after visiting the museum)

The Exploratorium: San Francisco
Museum of Fine Arts: San Francisco
de Young Museum: San Francisco

National Museum of the USAF at Wright Patterson USAFB: Dayton

Smithsonian: DC Just spend several days getting lost there history, air & space...it's all good.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 25, 2012 11:18AM
I love all art museums and have for most of my life.

Rodin in Paris is one of many favorites.

Teens need specific education and background before they visit museums, especially art museums. And they can enjoy them more in smaller doses. A too-long day at the Louvre can lose appeal.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: April 25, 2012 11:45AM
Lemon Drop

Teens need specific education and background before they visit museums, especially art museums. And they can enjoy them more in smaller doses. A too-long day at the Louvre can lose appeal.

Teens??? Try my wife. First trip to Paris with my wife and we went to the Louvre. After 1/2 hour, she found a nice, soft bench in the Egyptian wing and took a 90min nap.

Alas, I am just as guilty. During a visit to Florence, we considered visiting the Uffizi museum. Not being a big fan of Renaissance painting, I took a pass. However, a couple of years later, I saw a visiting exhibition of Medici artwork in Memphis (in the Pyramid!). I was absolutely blown away. Now that I have an appreciation, I can't wait to return to Florence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 12:08PM by Billybob.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: April 25, 2012 12:04PM
Museum of Science - Boston, MA
Smithsonian
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: April 25, 2012 12:22PM
Some of my favorite museums include the following:

Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC. We have a membership there.
Senator John Heinz History Center, Pittsburgh
Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh
Johnstown Flood Museum, Johnstown, PA
Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, Strasburg, PA
Smithsonian Institute (the Apple I there gives me the shivers)
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 25, 2012 12:54PM
Billybob

. Now that I have an appreciation, I can't wait to return to Florence.

That's wonderful! Hope you get to return very soon. And to many of the other great museums too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 12:54PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: April 25, 2012 01:17PM
Billybob
Lemon Drop

Teens??? Try my wife. First trip to Paris with my wife and we went to the Louvre. After 1/2 hour, she found a nice, soft bench in the Egyptian wing and took a 90min nap.

Alas, I am just as guilty. During a visit to Florence, we considered visiting the Uffizi museum. Not being a big fan of Renaissance painting, I took a pass. However, a couple of years later, I saw a visiting exhibition of Medici artwork in Memphis (in the Pyramid!). I was absolutely blown away. Now that I have an appreciation, I can't wait to return to Florence.

I have a big appreciation for art and art museums now (parents are collectors and Mom was an Art History major in college— it trickled down eventually!), but as Lemon Drop said, it requires education and background (assuming the teen is even willing) for appreciation early in life.

Good advice on taking it in shorter days. This is something that Mrs. Z and I are learning with almost everything with 1 and 5 year olds. Our pre-kids museum days would usually be open to close. Or when in DC, ~8:30am to 7PM, seeing 2 a day plus monuments. A week of that makes for tough final days on the legs & feet for even 30-somethings like we were. Getting lost at the Nat'l Cathedral and walking back to the Capitol is also less advised for foot happiness though the self guided NW neighborhood tour made it worth it.

Thanks everyone for the museums! The post was just a passing thought as I received an email from the Getty about new exhibits, but we're planning travel for the next few years and the list just gets bigger… Woohoo!
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 25, 2012 01:18PM
The Art Institute of Chicago!

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: April 25, 2012 01:21PM
I like most museums, but prefer the very small buildings with only a small representation of individual artists and/or genre.

probably my favorite of this variety is the Clark Art Museum in Williamstown, MA. I get a bit awe-struck visting that collection and that beautiful part of MA.
Posted by: Kate
Date: April 25, 2012 01:27PM
I have a real fondness for the small town museums found in New Mexico and other states in the southwest.

Deming has an outstanding selection of pottery, most of it donated from locals from when it was still legal to collect.

Tucumcari has a great dinosaur museum where the fossils are all cast in bronze, an amazing display.

Alamogordo has a fine space museum.

Los Alamos was really great, I learned so much about the Manhatten Project.

Truth or Consequences has a whole room dedicated to Ralph Edwards!

And of course the UFO Museum in Roswell (actually a bit of a letdown).

The are too many to list but all are rich in local and international history, something to learn and appreciate at every one.

Then of course, there are all the fine Museums in the larger cities. The Atomic Museum in Albuquerque comes to mind, as well as their art museum, and Santa Fe has too many to name.

And none of them are so large as to be intimidating.

Kate
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: April 25, 2012 01:39PM
A very good museum you probably haven't heard of is the Kimball Museum in Fort Worth.
Posted by: particleman
Date: April 25, 2012 01:50PM
New Orleans - What used to be called The D-Day Museum. It is now The National WWII Museum

[www.nationalww2museum.org]
Posted by: Black
Date: April 25, 2012 01:55PM

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: April 25, 2012 02:11PM
Oh, where to begin?

Smithsonian American History Museum (Wash DC)
Smithsonian Air and Space (haven't been to the Udvar-Hazey center yet... really want to!)
The British Museum. (London)
The Pima Air Museum (near Tuscon, AZ)
The Royal Armouries Museum (Leeds, England)
The Sir John Soane Museum (London)
The Buffalo Bill Museum (and firearms collection) in Cody, Wy.
The NRA National Firearms Museum (Wash DC).
The United States Naval Academy Museum (Baltimore MD)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: April 25, 2012 03:59PM
If one has even the slightest appreciation for the automobile, The Petersen Auto Museum in L.A. is a great place.

There's currently one month to go on one of the featured exhibits detailing Scooters. Very cool!

[www.petersen.org]
Posted by: August West
Date: April 25, 2012 05:54PM

probably my favorite of this variety is the Clark Art Museum in Williamstown, MA. I get a bit awe-struck visting that collection and that beautiful part of MA.

Spent many an hour in the Renoir room.

Having just returned, I'll give a shout out to the Kunsthistorisches Museum . Those Habsburgs collected.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: April 25, 2012 06:35PM
Another vote for the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, if you're a train fan. It's right across the street from the Strasburg Railway, too: entertaining short ride on a real steam-pulled train.

I also recommend the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore.

And Steamtown, in Scranton, PA. Take a tour of the shop.

Oh! And the Seacoast Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, Maine: vintage trolleys (and good ride on one), plus subway cars, buses, etc.

I also dig the Air and Space Museum in DC. I've yet to get to the outdoor annex over in Virginia. Maybe next trip. Discovery will be there.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 06:35PM by mrlynn.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: April 25, 2012 06:52PM
mrlynn
I also dig the Air and Space Museum in DC. I've yet to get to the outdoor annex over in Virginia.

You've missed the show. The one in DC is the broom closet. The main stage is down by Dulles.

I think the American Museum of Natural History in NY is probably the best museum I've ever been in... and FYI, I've hit dozens of museums throughout Europe, I live just outside of DC and I visit museums and galleries several times each month. There's something very special about that museum and the particular corner of NYC that it resides in.

The Children's Discovery Museum in San Jose is pretty good, too.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: April 25, 2012 08:31PM
.....the Sex MUSEUM in NY [I think it comes with a HAPPY ending?].....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2012 08:31PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: comphernation
Date: April 25, 2012 09:37PM
There have been quite a few, but if I could visit only one, it would be the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI.

[www.google.com]

I was so lucky my dad was a teacher; we'd go just about every year with his classes. It's huge (HUGE!) and has a bit of everything. There was a restored traditional diner inside, called Lamey's Diner, and when I went in (as an adult) I felt very drawn to it. Didn't know why. I mentioned it to my dad. He said it was originally in Hudson, MA, and when I was maybe a year old, he'd take me in there occasionally on his beat as a cop. Wow. I don't have any memories before the age of 4, but apparently there was ... uh, something. :-)

If you ever get to see this place, if you can take more than one day, you may want to do so.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 26, 2012 10:54AM
The American Museum of Natural History, although not as much as it used to. The expanded displays are great, but at least for me, overwhelming.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

The Frick Collection, back when they weren't charging admission.
Posted by: Billybob
Date: May 03, 2012 09:15PM
I just got home after seeing the very nice Van Gogh exhibit (VG Up Close) at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. I got to see quite a few pieces with which I was unfamiliar. Unfortunately, the exhibit ends on Sunday, May 6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2012 09:26PM by Billybob.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 187
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020