advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $102.99 ( +0.52 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Received a letter, Jesse will be receiving a Posthumous College Degree in a couple weeks.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 26, 2012 01:11PM
We received a letter yesterday stating that Jesse will receive a Posthumous degree as he had met the
requirements for such a degree. Now the big question is how are we going to sit through the Ceremony
and go up and receive in his honor. It's going to be hard sitting there thinking that he should be
there to receive a degree himself. Last year it was such a joyous occasion when his older brother
graduated. We're very proud of everything he achieved while there. If anybody had the life of their
life while at college it was him.

Grateful11
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Received a letter, Jesse will be receiving a Posthumous College Degree in a couple weeks.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: April 26, 2012 01:15PM
Thank you for keeping us up to date. What a bitter sweet event that will be.
Re: Received a letter, Jesse will be receiving a Posthumous College Degree in a couple weeks.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: April 26, 2012 01:18PM
That's a wonderful tribute. Congrats to Mom, Dad and brother.
It'll be a very emotional day to be sure, but years down the road you'll be so glad you could be there for that.

(Did something similar for my late brother, I'll never forget it. And for my parents it was an invaluable healing experience.)
Posted by: rgG
Date: April 26, 2012 01:31PM
It seems a very fitting tribute for your son, and one he earned, but I know it will be an emotional day for you and your family.

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 26, 2012 02:17PM
That's wonderful, and a true tribute to your son's memory.

A few years after my Dad died, Mom donated a bunch of money (from his insurance) to his University, and they named a lab in his name. In the building where he had taught for almost 40 years. It was a very emotional ceremony.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: April 26, 2012 02:18PM
grateful11-

thank you for sharing that thoughtful and caring information.

we don't know each other but darn, if every time i hear a kid named "jesse" name mentioned, i think of your family.

i'm sending good thoughts your way.

be well.

rob
Posted by: Bo
Date: April 26, 2012 02:32PM
Congratulations to Jesse for what he was able to achieve while with us and so glad that you will be able to be there and represent him. Obviously it's going to be a tough day.
Posted by: abevilac
Date: April 26, 2012 03:50PM
What a wonderful testimonial to Jesse's hard work. My thoughts are with your family.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 26, 2012 04:12PM
Thanks everyone. The words are hard to get out when talking about Jesse, it's still really difficult to get it out but
once I do it helps sometimes.

I really botched that last sentence, it should say, "If anyone had the time of their life..."

Grateful11
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: April 26, 2012 04:56PM
Funny how the brain works. I read it as you intended, and had to go back to the original post to notice it.
Regarding the big question, you would have to sit through and go up -Full of Joy... not sorrow.
As hard as it would be, that should be a moment of pride.
I understand that this are personal matters, that no two individuals will ponder the same.
This is just my opinion that I respectfully put for your consideration.
I wish you peace and wellness.

• back to confinement

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 04:57PM by rich in distress.
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 26, 2012 06:43PM
If you do not want to accept the degree publicly, then don't. Have your own private ceremony. Either way, congrats to Jesse.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: April 26, 2012 07:11PM
I recall that the school Jesse attended had a small close knit community (remember they had a memorial service for him) It will undoubtably be difficult to accept in person, but it may be an important touchstone, and even a highlight for his friends and members of his class to have him represented, and to have his accomplishments publicly acknowledged.

Posted by: prymsnap
Date: April 26, 2012 07:55PM
Wow. Just wow. What a marvelous tribute, whatever your decision is regarding the ceremony. Clearly Jesse was quite a guy and left an indelible mark on the world.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 26, 2012 10:07PM
Pam
If you do not want to accept the degree publicly, then don't. Have your own private ceremony. Either way, congrats to Jesse.

This.

It doesn't need to be public, to attest to what he achieved. Congrats to him and to you.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Speedy
Date: April 27, 2012 01:20AM
Be proud. And carry a clean handkerchief or two.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: April 27, 2012 07:48AM
What a wonderful tribute to your son! Oh my, I need a box of Kleenex just thinking about it. Not sure if I could handle a public ceremony, either; perhaps you can appoint a stand-in to accept while you watch? May peace find you and yours, whatever you decide to do.

Robert Louis Stevenson
Every heart that has beat strongly and cheerfully has left a hopeful impulse behind it in the world, and bettered the tradition of mankind.
Posted by: vision63
Date: April 27, 2012 02:36PM
Pump your chest up and pick up your boy's degree. Whatever emotions present themselves is part and parcel of the experience. All we can do when we lose a beloved member of our lives is continuously honor them. Especially when they deserved it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login