Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $529.48 ( -2.22 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dog...again
Posted by: lazydays
Date: April 26, 2012 01:18PM
I've discussed getting a dog here a few times. Kids are really putting the screws to us so I think it is time to get serious. I am thinking a Pomeranian due to size, temperament and exercise requirements. As I look through petfinder.com and make inquiries is there anything I should watch out for? Questions to ask?

I am home most of the day so the dog will have a constant companion except when I go to the athletic club or shopping. I am planning to crate when I am gone to minimize damage in the house. I don't have a good spot for a dog door so I am thinking about one of those add ons to the sliding glass door.

Other thoughts outside the normal pound puppy recommendation?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dog...again
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: April 26, 2012 01:31PM
How old are the kids ?
Small dogs tend to be very loyal and territorial. To a fault. Our Pom guards "Her Space" (Under the bed) quite fervently. Hysterical barking and lunging. Our Chis guard 'Their Person' (which is whomever they are snuggling with at the moment) very aggressively... snarling and snapping.

We started with Lhasa Apsos, they're a bit more relaxed. Our Rat Terrier is a very relaxed dog, unless there us running and shouting. Then she gets very defensive, and teeth are involved. But that's because she was abused before we got her. So we have to stay calm at home or get snapped at. We call her "The Peacemaker".

Of course NOTHING is as relaxed as a Basset Hound or Golden Retriever (Marley Excluded).

With a Rescued Dog, I'd just look for temperament, and talk to the Humane Society people. They're usually good about matching dog to people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2012 01:32PM by cbelt3.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: April 26, 2012 01:41PM
Neighbors got a Maltese about a year ago - and she's a great little dog. She's the best kind - she comes over (daily) for an hour or two, and goes home smiling smiley But she's like one of the family. Food bowls and all in both houses. She gets out of their house, and they know right where she'll be at smiling smiley

Loves everyone. Rarely barks unless another dog is in the yard or a strange person walking by - then it's game on, she thinks she's a 150# Great Dane it seems.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: MikeF
Date: April 26, 2012 03:00PM
Golden Retriever. Great with kids. Smart. Look into a rescue organization for whatever breed you're thinking about getting...
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: April 26, 2012 03:26PM
A rescue group will usually be able to tell you whether any particular dog that they've listed on Petfinder is good with kids.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: April 26, 2012 03:27PM
I love my little Pom. He's about a year and half old and no issues whatsoever. They seem to learn things pretty quickly. Ours isn't a huge barker, but will bark when he wants to come in from outside and if he hears a car horn or the beep at the bonus round in Family Feud. They seem to be very loving and will certainly brighten your day when you come home.

We kind of crated him. At night we would put him in his crate. During the day we had a pen set up for him, but eventually we gave him full run of the downstairs. He started eating some of my cables, so back in the pen he went. We now have given him an entire room (dining room) since there is nothing in there where he spends his time when we are at work.

I will suggest you buy a quality food...dont buy any supermarket crap. A small dog like that wont make you go broke on food.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: April 26, 2012 04:21PM
Stay away from pet stores. I've been told about 99% of dogs in pet stores come from puppy mills. Can't prove it but
that's what I've been told. Our last two dogs came from the pound and Snowie lived 16 or 17 years. Now Subway is
living up the good life here with us.

Grateful11
Posted by: mattkime
Date: April 26, 2012 04:34PM
the people at a shelter can be very protective and offputting but don't let it discourage you. they work very hard for the animals and often feel they are the only thing between life and death for these creatures. much of the time they're correct.

however, this can be overcome with persistance - showing up a couple of weekends in a row, etc.

(this advice shouldn't be necessary, pretty much a worst case senario.)

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: April 26, 2012 05:21PM
To go in an entirely different direction: Bullmastiff. Yes, I'm serious. They're low-energy, just need a walk a day, are gentle with kids, and very protective. And having had both, much less destructive as puppies than Labs or similar critters.

Whatever breed you pick (unless you want a mutt, in which case bless you, just head for the local shelter), check Google for your local/state rescue group for that breed. They will always have dogs that need new homes.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: April 26, 2012 05:42PM
A lot depends on the ages of the kids - I am leery of anything too tiny with young kids - better to get something in the medium size range - or larger.

I'd suggest going to a dog show near you and looking and talking to people - toy dogs can sometimes be VERY difficult to housebreak - this is a long term commitment, and making the correct decision should involve taking some time.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: April 26, 2012 09:01PM
Yah, avoid the pet stores/puppy mills.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: April 26, 2012 10:18PM
I'm probably the last person who should be giving advice on dogs, so don't consider this advice, just my opinion.

I don't like yappy little cat-sized dogs.

I really like the temperament of golden retrievers.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: April 26, 2012 10:39PM
I'm all about labs. Best dogs ever...after they turn 2 or 3. up until then they're like having a 1-2 year old child with sharp teeth.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: April 27, 2012 12:30AM
A third for Golden Retrievers, or...

How about one of these?:

(they're the Golden Retrievers of the cat world...)

Or better yet:

smiling bouncing smiley

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: April 27, 2012 09:31AM
I personally don't prefer small yappy/bitey dogs, but I agree with Will Collier that Bullmastiffs are gentle giants. I know a few of them and they are mellow dogs who drool a lot.

A friend lives in a small two-bedroom apartment and owns a giant Newfoundland. Those dogs are allegedly good for small spaces even though they are 100+ lbs.

Check with your local rescue group or animal shelter with your concerns and they should be able to find a dog that fits your needs. Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2012 09:31AM by the_poochies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login