AAPL stock: $105.22 ( +0.39 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
what should I know about buying a kayak
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 01, 2012 01:08PM
from a total noob's perspective.

I've got the swimming part down.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy.’ They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
- John Lennon
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: what should I know about buying a kayak
Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 01, 2012 01:10PM
1st, are you looking for whitewater or flat water kayak (touring, recreational, lake, open ocean, etc)? And do you know more than Aziz Ansari does in the AMEX commercial?
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 01, 2012 01:12PM
First - have to ask what's your envisioned usage - ocean, lake, river? Fishing, surfing, whitewater rapids?

There are different types of kayaks to consider, depending on what you plan to do with it...
Posted by: DavidS
Date: May 01, 2012 01:31PM
Can you try a rental first? ;)
Posted by: decay
Date: May 01, 2012 01:34PM
kayak spelled backwards is kayak.

---
I buy records. Getting rid of some? Let me know.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: May 01, 2012 01:34PM
DavidS
Can you try a rental first? ;)

I am very reluctant to mention this but DavidS has a splendid idea *(:>*
Furrder more get used to the fact everyone else will have a better one than you and it cost less *(:>*

Take your time choosing. Where are you Kayaking ? Are you close to an REI ?

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: May 01, 2012 01:39PM
Get in with a group that includes some pros and some n00bs. Play and practice. Most folk prefer to spend their paddling time above the water. Swimming is less important than being able to hold your breath, not panic, and right the tippy little vessel when you're upside down.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 01, 2012 01:49PM
I have used an open water kayak (longer with a bit of a rudder stern) on a fast river and it was a pain. The current kept pushing the stern around going thru a bend and I would end up backwards.
I would rent first, too, to understand the differences.
Posted by: lazydays
Date: May 01, 2012 01:52PM
We have a local kayak club and they offer classes at a nearby swimming pool periodically. Might be worth checking into that. Get some experience and advice from experts in your area.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: May 01, 2012 02:03PM
renting is a good idea.

I also have a couple of neighbors with kayaks and they owe me some favors...

this is for use in a mellow river, slight current and - maybe - for use on a small lake.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy.’ They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
- John Lennon
Date: May 01, 2012 02:04PM
Have fun and good luck *(:>*

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 01, 2012 02:08PM
....how to do the Eskimo ROLL......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 01, 2012 02:17PM
Where are you? I have two older plastic roto-molded white-water kayaks that I'd sell cheap. I have paddles, life vest, helmet...I tried to get into it, but it was just too much work with too little payback because everything required two vehicles that can haul a boat. A lake might be easier though.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Posted by: DP
Date: May 01, 2012 02:25PM
ztirffritz
Where are you? I have two older plastic roto-molded white-water kayaks that I'd sell cheap. I have paddles, life vest, helmet...I tried to get into it, but it was just too much work with too little payback because everything required two vehicles that can haul a boat. A lake might be easier though.

Two vehicles?
Posted by: the_poochies
Date: May 01, 2012 02:28PM
As the posters wrote above, you have to tell us what kind of water you would like to paddle in. Once you decide, I would find a local kayak club, REI or other reputable outfitter and ask them.

When I first started out kayaking, I took lessons for a day and learned how to paddle, steer and get out of my boat in case I capsized.

Whatever you do, don't act like these two clowns in this video. The adult in this video *surely* knows nothing about kayaking in the ocean! ;)
Posted by: michaelb
Date: May 01, 2012 02:32PM
I would assume ztirffritz is refering to having to shuttle cars along a river. You can get by with one car equiped to carry if you paddle upstream and/or leave the boats and/or people at the pull out and pick them back up on the way out.

For your use you are really looking at the easy rec kayak type of boats. No reason to eskimo roll and no reason to get a boat that is reasonably expected to flip either.

Paddling some at a demo or by renting them is a good idea. Longer is faster and will track straighter, so that would be the main design question. tippyness is more complicated, but generally the more narrow boat will be tippyier, but also slower, you want some reasonable balance there.

I am not a fan of rec boats that offer no supplemental floatation for safety (ie they basically sink under if swamped), but that really shouldn't matter on a slow river or small lake. You won't be able to recover them any way, so if you flipped you are swimming to shore and dealing with a boat full of water either way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 02:35PM by michaelb.
Date: May 01, 2012 02:32PM
DP
ztirffritz

Two vehicles?

Yup DP as a rule you put in Up river and you float Down river. You are going to need a 2nd vehicle to pick you up down river and down current if you are doing coastal runs *(:>*

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: May 01, 2012 02:34PM
DP
ztirffritz

Two vehicles?

1 vehicle for where you put into the river, and another vehicle for where you take out. That is why I said a lake may be better, because you get in and out in the same place. I enjoyed kayaking, but it involved hauling so much crap around that it wasn't worth my time. Maybe if I was one of those rich trustafarian river rats who seem to live the life I'd like it more. I'm sure you know the type I'm talking about. Brand new Subaru Outback Impreza with two kayaks on the roof. Never employed, but perpetually on vacation. 22-27 years old. Probably has an advanced degree in Political Science or maybe Creative Writing.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 02:40PM by ztirffritz.
Date: May 01, 2012 02:39PM
ztirffritz
DP
ztirffritz

Two vehicles?

1 vehicle for where you put into the river, and another vehicle for where you take out. That is why I said a lake may be better, because you get in and out in the same place. I enjoyed kayaking, but it involved hauling so much crap around that it wasn't worth my time. Maybe if I was one of those rich trustafarian river rats who seem to live the life I'd like it more.

In my experience Trustafarians hang with udder folks that do not have jobs or werk, ie; and therefore they can team up with the like for these river and coastal excursions. One caveat if you have friends that have days off you can team up for River and Coastal Runs. Calling in sick because it is a Sunny daze is also a legitimate excuse for River Running and Coastal Runs . . . ymmv . . . who cares *(:>*angel smiley

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: Gareth
Date: May 01, 2012 02:42PM
DP
ztirffritz

Two vehicles?

Rivers require two vehicles. One at your starting point (to get you and the kayaks there) and one at the ending point (to get you back to the car you left at the starting point). Unless you plan to kayak back upstream. Which might be possible on a slow, meandering river, though tiring, but impossible on a true whitewater river.

And although ztirffritz's offer is generous, mrbigstuff probably doesn't want true whitewater kayaks. Recreational kayaks in the 9' to 14' range would probably suffice for a mellow river. My first kayak was a 13' recreational that I used on a mostly class 1 and 2 river, with the occasional, brief, maybe you could say that was a class 3 section. That was 15ish years ago when the recreational market was just emerging.

And then you have to decide, sit-inside vs sit-on-top. Though lots of recreational sit-inside boats have large openings now, thus making it easy to bail out of the boat in the event of a capsize (which is my preferred option, I can't do a barrel roll, but I also haven't capsized in forever as I mostly stick to lakes, bays and the occasional ocean, and you need a full skirt to do a barrel roll anyway). Sit-on-tops are basically unsinkable, but you tend to sit in a small puddle of water, and they are heavier and slower (not as big a difference in the recreational market).

Anyway, lots of options and varieties. Renting and borrowing are definitely good ways to start. Especially to see how often you'll use them. I own three kayaks (at home, I have other scattered around the country smiling smiley ), but haven't been out in a year or so. At my best, I would go a couple times a month.

Buying demos and used are good ideas too if you decide to buy and can find what you want. Plastic boats are nearly indestructible, so not too much to worry about when buying used.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 01, 2012 04:47PM
as said, rental or try somehow first. Learn about different kinds of yaks and size that is comfortable.

I'm 6' and have a 14' Perception Touring (I fergit the model). My spouse is 5'6" and has a 10' old Walden. Both are sit inside.
We use on rivers and in an protected harbor (except for the power boats).

She had an awful old paddle that I replaced this year with a Bending Branch Fiberglass that will give her much more power.

I think my boat and paddle were $1k at the seasons end, a good time to buy, and sometimes used from the local kayak rental place.

It's great fun.

!#$@@$#!

are we there yet?

[garyrichard.net]
Posted by: btfc
Date: May 01, 2012 09:37PM
[www.nrsweb.com]

2 person weighs about 28 pounds. I have the 1 person and its backpack, pump, paddle,and PFD weigh less than 25. I park at the takeout, hitch to the put in, and float to the warmth of my vehicle.(hitching is pretty standard on popular stretches) Easy to keep with you or take on a road trip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2012 09:38PM by btfc.
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: May 02, 2012 01:53AM
If you've got size 13 feet, like me, be sure your shoes will actually go into the kayak in a comfortable way. None of the really good kayaks I've tried out will let my feet fit comfortably, and most of the crappy ones won't either. I've given up on kayaking.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 02, 2012 07:42AM
my 14s fit in my Perception. NP.

!#$@@$#!

are we there yet?

[garyrichard.net]
Posted by: billb
Date: May 02, 2012 10:36AM
Rentals might just be the way to go
Date: May 02, 2012 10:49AM
billb
Rentals might just be the way to go

I think that gurl knows someone in the not so secret service devil smiley

Steve Jobs

G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: lazydays
Date: May 02, 2012 03:01PM
ztirffritz, where can I find these people on vacation all the time? I could use more friends to play hard during the day. :-)

I'd like to try kayaking at Rimrock lake. I've seen other people doing it and it looks like great exercise. I don't have enough time to even sail my boat very often though so kayaking will have to wait...for my eventual move to kauai.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login