Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $109.41 ( +2.67 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Be careful reading my posts today...
Posted by: hal
Date: May 01, 2012 01:29PM
I got almost no sleep and I am SO STUPID today. I have to go run some errands, but frankly, I'm a little afraid to get behind the wheel...

No freeways for me today...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Be careful reading my posts today...
Posted by: DavidS
Date: May 01, 2012 01:29PM
Stay away from rental cars.
Posted by: haikuman
Date: May 01, 2012 01:36PM
DavidS
Stay away from rental cars.
agree smiley Or abuse the jigsaw *(:>*

“Stay Hungry Stay Foolish"
Steve Jobs

"There are only two mantras yum and yuk mine is yum "
Bernard Mickey Wrangle<>Tom Robbins<> "Still Life With Woodpecker"

"There is a fine line between a rut and a groove"
G.D. Kittredge III

"

Posted by: space-time
Date: May 01, 2012 01:39PM
please don't drive. If these errands are essential, have a friend/relative drive you, or take a cab
Posted by: $tevie
Date: May 01, 2012 01:51PM
I second the not-driving idea.

Posted by: GeneL
Date: May 01, 2012 02:09PM
space-time
please don't drive. If these errands are essential, have a friend/relative drive you, or take a cab

agree smiley

Sleep apnea, insomnia, no sleep, that's me. sad smiley

Several years ago I momentarily fell asleep at the wheel and "came back" seconds later to find that I had crossed over into the oncoming lane! Acting on sheer instinct, I was able to pull over onto the shoulder. No doubt leaving several other drivers, as well as myself, a bit "shaken."

Driving has been okay for a long time, no dowsing off at the wheel, but the other day I pushed myself too far and, again, I momentarily dosed off at the wheel. It is completely involuntary!

In all the times this has happened to me, I was there and then, suddenly, I wasn't.

As much as you think that you're okay to drive, based on how you described yourself today, YOU SHOULD NOT DRIVE!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: May 01, 2012 02:30PM
GeneL

Several years ago I momentarily fell asleep at the wheel and "came back" seconds later to find that I had crossed over into the oncoming lane! Acting on sheer instinct, I was able to pull over onto the shoulder. No doubt leaving several other drivers, as well as myself, a bit "shaken."

Guessing you are right-handed. A left-hander (driving on the right side of the road) tends to have a startle reflex that would pull the car to the left, into oncoming traffic. Most right-handers startle to the right, pulling the car safely onto the shoulder.

From the International Children's Education web site:

"Among the list of negative factors attached to being left-handed is some statistical evidence that left-handers die younger than right-handers. While this is a controversial finding, if there is some truth to it, a possible explanation may have to do with driving accidents. In the U.S. and Canada, from which the data was derived, people drive on the right. A left-hand startle reflex would be more apt to cause the driver to end up pointing against traffic while a right-hand startle reflex would cause the car to drive off the road."

Here's the link:

[www.iched.org]

Todd's keyboard
Date: May 01, 2012 02:33PM
Don't worry people!

I'm not one of those fall asleep behind the wheel types. It's both a blessing and a curse. If you want someone in the group to drive home for 2 hours starting at 2AM - I'm your man. I have the ability to stay awake when I need to (and too often when I DON'T need to). Instead of heavy eyelids, I just feel pain. AND become stupid (spellchecker is working HARD right now)

I don't fall asleep in movies... at home watching the TV and I certainty don't fall asleep while drive - not even close.

but I WOULD stay at home if I could... unfortunately, me AND MY CAR have things to do that must be done today.

Sherlock Holmes would have figured it out already - car registration is due and I have to get my car smogged - NOW.
Date: May 01, 2012 02:43PM
Todd's keyboard
GeneL

Guessing you are right-handed. A left-hander (driving on the right side of the road) tends to have a startle reflex that would pull the car to the left, into oncoming traffic. Most right-handers startle to the right, pulling the car safely onto the shoulder.

From the International Children's Education web site:

"Among the list of negative factors attached to being left-handed is some statistical evidence that left-handers die younger than right-handers. While this is a controversial finding, if there is some truth to it, a possible explanation may have to do with driving accidents. In the U.S. and Canada, from which the data was derived, people drive on the right. A left-hand startle reflex would be more apt to cause the driver to end up pointing against traffic while a right-hand startle reflex would cause the car to drive off the road."

Here's the link:

[www.iched.org]

Todd's keyboard

I am right-handed, but in this case I pulled over to the shoulder on my left. I already was in the lane that was to my left (the oncoming lane). Had I "startle" pulled to my right, I would have gone back into my original lane, but that wouldn't have been good, since there were other cars there.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 01, 2012 03:02PM
Several years ago I almost died "behind the wheel" after falling asleep.

I was driving home from a job late at night and I just could not stay awake. I was fighting like mad but felt like I wasn't going to make it. So even though I was only about 10 miles from home, I decided to stop at a rest stop and take a cat nap.

I pulled into the rest stop, parked and almost immediately fell asleep. Unfortunately, I parked facing away from the building in a diagonal parking spot facing a grove of trees about 50 feet in front of me. Also unfortunately, after about an hour-long epic battle to stay awake I guess I was subconsciously still in *stay awake* mode.

You can probably guess what happened. I jerked awake (thinking I had fallen asleep while driving), opened my eyes and saw the trees directly ahead of me and proceeded to nearly die of a heart attack. big grin smiley

Date: May 01, 2012 03:33PM
AllGold
You can probably guess what happened. I jerked awake (thinking I had fallen asleep while driving), opened my eyes and saw the trees directly ahead of me and proceeded to nearly die of a heart attack. big grin smiley

That's a terrible story!

"The mind is a terrible thing…"

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: May 01, 2012 03:38PM
In the newly remodeled Toyota dealership with the ipad

Great story allgold
Date: May 01, 2012 06:52PM
home safe - car passes smog test - nap time...
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: May 01, 2012 07:14PM
Please send me your Social Security and credit card numbers.

Posted by: Speedy
Date: May 02, 2012 04:31AM
hal
I'm not one of those fall asleep behind the wheel types.

Me, too. Comes in handy in my line of work.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014