Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Coffee Lovers - Civet Coffee Question
Posted by: IronMac
Date: May 28, 2012 06:03PM
Hi all,

I am planning on having my first cup of civet coffee (hopefully July) in Jakarta and was wondering how would you drink it (brewed in a cafe) in order to really taste its full flavour? Thanks.

[en.wikipedia.org]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Coffee Lovers - Civet Coffee Question
Posted by: Drew
Date: May 28, 2012 06:28PM
I'd ask the question at an Indonesia travel board site.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: May 28, 2012 06:52PM
I'll try almost anything but i draw the line at anything that comes out of a cats ass.

Athens, OH
Posted by: rgG
Date: May 28, 2012 07:18PM
How would I drink that, only if I had a loaded gun pointed at my head. Yuck

Do let us know how you <holds nose> like it. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: May 28, 2012 07:20PM
I like mine straight from the cat. Careful, though - they'll scratch!

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: May 28, 2012 07:37PM
Can't you just lick the cats butt and get the same flavor experience?

Hey, if you want to try it, who am I (of all people!) to stop you...
But I'd rather eat Haggis. :-D

Good luck though... I can intellectually appreciate the culinary adventure, even while I throw up a little in my mouth thinking about Civet Coffee.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: May 28, 2012 08:13PM
Paul F.
Can't you just lick the cats butt and get the same flavor experience?

Please, it is roasted and brewed cats butt. coffee smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: zeppo2
Date: May 28, 2012 08:33PM
Best coffee I've ever had. I can't drink regular coffee because the acidity is bad on my stomach, but when I'm in Vietnam I love weasel poop coffee. I like it the way that its prepared in Vietnam, with sweet and condensed milk.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: May 28, 2012 08:51PM
zeppo2
Best coffee I've ever had., but when I'm in Vietnam I love weasel poop coffee. I like it the way that its prepared in Vietnam, with sweet and condensed milk.

agree smiley

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Mac-A-Matic
Date: May 28, 2012 08:54PM
I've had the civet coffee on two separate occasions. While I cannot agree that it was the best coffee I've ever had, it was kind of flat and earthy (go figure). I wouldn't go out of my way for it here.

BUT, if I was in Indonesia and someone was making it for me, I certainly would be interested in trying it how they like to prepare it.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: May 28, 2012 09:23PM
Supposedly there's authentic civet coffee, which comes from the wild, and domesticated stuff, which may not be as good. Haven't tasted either, myself.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: May 28, 2012 10:12PM
Ok, I guess I will just have to walk in to a cafe and ask for a cup and when they ask how I like it I will ask them to brew it the way they drink it. smiling smiley
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: May 28, 2012 10:26PM
Someone at UF developed a process to produce the coffee without the civet, or any animal digestive process. You can buy it online at www.coffeeprimero.com, for less than $20/lb. From their FAQ:

What is Kopi Luwak?
Kopi Luwak, the world’s rarest and most expensive coffee, is prized for its extraordinary aromas and flavor. It is created when the Asian Civet Cat eats the coffee cherries (or beans), and the enzymes in its digestive system alter the beans. People then collect the animal’s droppings and clean and roast the beans, creating this most extraordinary coffee.

Coffee Primero mimics this process in a clean, controlled environment and without the involvement of animals to produce Magic Cat coffee. Magic Cat coffee offers several advantages over Kopi Luwak:

We process beans from all over the world, making it possible to offer coffees that are one of a kind.
We select only the finest beans for processing, giving us total control of coffee quality.
Because less than 1,000 pounds of Kopi Luwak are produced a year, it can cost up to $600 per pound, while Coffee Primero coffees are offered at a fraction of the cost...

...The enzymes used in our Magic Cat coffee neutralize the proteins that are responsible for the bitterness that sometimes occurs in coffee, making Magic Cat coffee virtually free of bitterness. At the same time, this enzymatic process creates more of the peptides and free amino acids that are responsible for much of the flavor and aroma in coffee, which is why Magic Cat coffee is so rich in aromas and flavors.

The difference between conventional coffees and Magic Cat coffee is dramatic. In blind taste tests conducted by the University of Florida, the inventor of our enzymatic process, the overwhelming majority of participants preferred the coffees treated with our process.

My first reaction was that the coffee, although delicious, was too smooth, and that I missed the bitter kick. Before long, however, I noticed that the smoothness made it so easy to drink that I ingested a lot more caffeine than usual. Still a little costly for every day, but makes a nice gift. smiling smiley
Posted by: decay
Date: May 28, 2012 10:58PM
Civet?

I hardly know it!

---
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: May 29, 2012 02:04PM
....I hear that coffee is very POOPular, nowadays......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: TheCoffeeLocator
Date: September 10, 2012 05:42AM
Hi,
We are trying to put together a list of ethical Coffee Luwak producers. It is proving pretty difficult. If anyone knows any, please leave a note in our comments and we wil add them.
Thanks
TheCoffeeocator - a coffee market place
Posted by: TheCoffeeLocator
Date: September 10, 2012 05:43AM
(oh Coffee Luwak = Civet coffee)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020