Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $519.01 ( +1.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Artificial Grass for Balcony?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 05, 2012 12:32PM
I just moved into a apartment in downtown St. Paul, MN and have a really nice balcony. Probably 12x10 of total floor area. I would like to put some synthetic grass in and cover the entire balcony with it. I'm just in the research stage, but I do want something that feels like grass, not like plastic. I wanted real grass, but there is no way that is going to work out.

Has anyone had artificial grass installed or purchased? I would have no problem installing it myself, but, sometimes vendors won't sell the product without installation. Thoughts?

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See my MacBooks for sale here: [stores.ebay.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Artificial Grass for Balcony?
Posted by: rz
Date: June 05, 2012 12:46PM
I have not, but have looked into it for my backyard. Talked to a couple of companies at a Home Show recently. One had really nice "grass". It took a lot of needling to finally get the guy to give me an idea of how much it would cost... he kept saying they wanted to come out to give an estimate. He finally said it would cost about $9/sq ft. installed. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell it without the installation, as that's where they make their money. Installation for a yard would be similar to installing pavers... they have to excavate, put down a base, level it out, then install the "grass". I'm sure that installing it on a balcony would only involve putting it down on top of the decking.

I'd love to have it done for a section of my backyard... there's only a small section of what is mostly weeds right now... about 400 sq ft. I don't really want to pay upwards of $4,000 to do that. I might just mulch it.
Posted by: dmann
Date: June 05, 2012 01:01PM
From experience, make sure your HOA/ Management Company/ Board/ etc. allow balcony floor coverings. My condo building only allows a small outdoor area rug and fines the h--- out of those who ignore the rules. They actually do random inspections!

DM
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 05, 2012 01:02PM
TACKY!

(sorry, i thought some honesty was called for)

VTPKL it!
Posted by: jdc
Date: June 05, 2012 01:28PM
mattkime
TACKY!

thanks for reading my mind!

----

The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs [www.fakesteve.net]

Posted by: zero
Date: June 05, 2012 01:45PM
costco sells it. does it feel like real grass. sorta.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: June 05, 2012 01:46PM
Fieldturf can be a pretty great thing for high schools, colleges and park districts...but here are some examples where even the good stuff doesn't look quite right on a balcony.

[www.heavenlygreens.com]

These look pretty realistic. Kind of tempting for a backyard that gets lots of use/abuse, but it will never look like the real thing.

[www.heavenlygreens.com]
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 05, 2012 01:46PM
jdc
mattkime
TACKY!

thanks for reading my mind!

Because stained concrete looks so much better?

This is not mine, obviously, but I think it looks 100x better than it did before. If it was feasible to do real grass I would. But there isn't enough sun, no way to water, and the weight would be too much. Plus the people below would probably be really pissed.

This is somewhat similar to mine, although I think I have twice the square footage if not 3x.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See my MacBooks for sale here: [stores.ebay.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2012 01:50PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: decay
Date: June 05, 2012 08:04PM
is this a euphemism, like curtains matching drapes?

[www.giyf.com]
Posted by: Black
Date: June 06, 2012 12:30AM
Troy and Chantell are on the internet so they must be good:
[www.foreverlawn.com]

If it was me I'd probably just fill with containers such that the 'floor' was de-emphasized.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: DRR
Date: June 06, 2012 04:36PM
I think artificial stuff is great. They do a very good job making it feel like actual grass.

I looked into the stuff at Costco pretty heavily at one point for a kids' play area (majority of the rest of the yard was hardscape). They will sell it to you and tell you how to install it. IIRC it was a vendor who took orders through Costco. i.e. Costco makes the sale but from there all questions about the product, support, installation, etc go through the vendor. 120sf should be pretty cheap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login