Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OT" Secret Snowflake goft for coworker
Posted by: h'
Date: December 12, 2005 12:41AM
I'm really bad at this.

I hate the idea of buying something that may be of no use to someone. I never buy anyone a gift that I don't know 100% that they'll use and appreciate.

The suggested amount is $15, I'm willing to spend $25.
The person I have to buy for is a mother of two teenage sons, 13 and 15. I don't think there' a father in the picture.
They live in a horrible neighborhood, with little retail closeby. I don't know for sure that they have reasonable access to chain stores, and I don't know if there's a car in the picture. They're not exactly barefoot and begging on the street, but I think every dollar probably counts.

Ideas?

Something she can regift to her sons, maybe?

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OT" Secret Snowflake goft for coworker
Anonymous User
Date: December 12, 2005 05:09AM
I hate those also. Someone recently signed me up for the company party. I was also told that everyone on the list needs to go. Uuugh.

Im not taking a gift thats for sure.

My only suggestion is a gift card/certificate for your maximum you are willing to spend.

Carm
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: December 12, 2005 07:13AM
Without more specific info available to you or us, I second a gift card
You can get the ones that are accepted anywhere that take Visa etc ...

It might be an opportunity for the recipient to get a needed item for themselves
or perhaps for the kids, that they may not have the money for.

Some people say a gift card is a cop out which it can be in some cases
(you really would want to try a little harder for a spouse or significant other)

Personally I like getting gift cards. They let me spoil myself a little with a treat
that I might have felt guilty splurging on otherwise.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 12, 2005 07:34AM
I have to do this too, I was thinking about getting something seasonal, like hot cocoa mix, can't really go wrong with that, find something gourmet like godiva. Or maybe something from Starbucks, it's really quite trivial.

At my office we decided to have assigned persons, but then in the end just trade gifts around to whomever wanted them the most.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: December 12, 2005 07:35AM
How about a phone card . . . 200 minutes or so???

A nice Mag flashlight?

Three really decent T-shirts for the family?

A light-weight wind jacket?

2 pounds of coffee?

A Sears family portrait?

An hour (or two) of your time to "fix" something or just to do something?

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: joycee
Date: December 12, 2005 05:42PM
h' Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They live in a horrible neighborhood, with little
> retail closeby. I don't know for sure that they
> have reasonable access to chain stores, and I
> don't know if there's a car in the picture.
> They're not exactly barefoot and begging on the
> street, but I think every dollar probably counts.

From your description of their situation, it sounds like you are thinking that a gift card might put a burden on her to try and redeem it? Personally, I like gift cards, because then I can pick out what *I* want. I don't really like getting/giving things that aren't really wanted - it seems such a waste.

If you don't want to go with a gift card, I think something luxurious and girly to pamper herself with (yummy, rich body lotions and oils, etc.) would be nice. If she's a single mom and not well-off financially, she probably doesn't spend money on those types of things for herself very often, I'm guessing, so that would be a real treat that she wouldn't have to feel guilty about having.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´How about if you greased them up first? Are chihuahua's cooperative pack hunters? ~TheCaber
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 98
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020