advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Deep Left thumb Cut-- stitched, glue, or too late?
Posted by: sean4891mcnatt
Date: June 15, 2012 11:52AM
Ok, so at work yesterday I was cutting plastic off some very small objects with my utility knife(I use my own because I can never find any the company provides). The knife jumped the knot on the package and slit my thumb open.
I did elevate it and apply pressure to try and stop bleeding, but did not work too well.
So I then washed it, put 2 gauze pads on it and wrapped it in a hurry with 6 bandages.
Then this morning, I think I may have aggrivated it by taking a shower(though I needed it). Should I see the Urgent Care, or should I keep attempting to fix it myself? If I fix it myself, any tops on what I can do? It is at least 1" long of a cut at minimum.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Deep Left thumb Cut-- stitched, glue, or too late?
Posted by: hal
Date: June 15, 2012 11:58AM
Bleeding is a good thing - for a while at least...

and it's not too late, I'd go in

length doesn't matter - How deep is it?

edit: That's your first post?? Peculiar...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 11:59AM by hal.
Posted by: davester
Date: June 15, 2012 12:01PM
That you're even asking this problem indicates that you need to go in ASAP.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: sean4891mcnatt
Date: June 15, 2012 12:01PM
Cant tell the depth. I havent taken the bandages from yesterday off yet. Im just afraid that if I do, the gauze pads may stick and reopen the cut and bleed all over again.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: June 15, 2012 12:05PM
In these situations, the risk of tetanus becomes an issue, when was the last time you had a tetanus shot? I'd definitely go and seek professional medical help, don't risk a more serious infection. Welcome to the forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 12:05PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: June 15, 2012 12:36PM
I had a bizarre biology prof in college that once spent an entire lecture on tetanus and you DO NOT want it...

muscles flexing out of control... breaking bones... perfectly conscious.... no thank you...
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 15, 2012 12:40PM
I was told many years ago; no stitches after "X" number of hours ( sorry, I don't remember the exact time. Something in the 4~8 hour range).

Tetanus shot probably needed. A trip to Urgent Care would be prudent.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: June 15, 2012 12:41PM
.....see a doctor STAT....sounds like it might need stitches....but that is just a non 'Grey's Anatomy' opinion but if it is still bleeding a day later..........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: wowzer
Date: June 15, 2012 12:45PM
Generally speaking any open cut after 8 hours (24 hours for the face) should not be stitched close as infection rates climb. However, if vital structures (ligaments, muscles, vessels, nerves, etc) are exposed, then you have to do a loose closure (i.e. cover with skin, but do not approximate the edges completely). As was said, tetanus is a concern if the wound was deep. Punctures, on the other hand, generally should not be sutured as they are deeper than wider and will be more prone to infections.

As a general rule, if you can see fat within the cut, then it is deep enough to suture. If you do not suture a wound close, the healing times may be weeks and weeks instead of days to weeks.

Hope this helps...

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 15, 2012 12:50PM
This post is useless without pict.....

... actually forget that.

Paul

PS Register on a Mac forum and immediately post a question about a nasty cut. That does seem strange unless you registered a different name from your usual. So who is this masked poster?

Posted by: Black
Date: June 15, 2012 12:55PM
If you can do a walk-in to your regular doc that might be best.
I'd be worried about possible nerve/tendon damage as well.

MR/F Guestmap: [www.mapservices.org]
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: June 15, 2012 12:57PM
Of the OP did a google search and our bizarre forum was at the top of the list. Peter had a similar thread not long ago.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Date: June 15, 2012 12:59PM
voodoopenguin
This post is useless without pict.....

... actually forget that.

Paul

PS Register on a Mac forum and immediately post a question about a nasty cut. That does seem strange unless you registered a different name from your usual. So who is this masked poster?

Just cross-reference the IP against the regulars...

Posted by: freeradical
Date: June 15, 2012 01:04PM
I recommend amputation.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 15, 2012 01:07PM
Disinfect, slap some alum (in your spice cabinet) on it, glue it shut, then schedule a tetanus booster and wound check at your doctors office, where they will scold you for doing it youself.

Of course, I'm NOT a doctor... and as I recall at least one of the people that has posted "go to the doctor" does work in the medical profession. Possibly two IIRC.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 15, 2012 01:29PM
Just cross-reference the IP against the regulars...

how do you do that?
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 15, 2012 01:30PM
does it make a difference if it's the LEFT or the RIGHT Thumb?
Posted by: testcase
Date: June 15, 2012 02:08PM
I was told many years ago; no stitches after "X" number of hours ( sorry, I don't remember the exact time. Something in the 4~8 hour range).

Tetanus shot probably needed. A trip to Urgent Care would be prudent.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 15, 2012 02:27PM
voodoopenguin

I'm assuming that he found us via google. Further, i expect to see brand new users inquiring about expired food.

Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 15, 2012 02:55PM
mattkime
Further, i expect to see brand new users inquiring about expired food.

Most of my food is dead.

Paul

Date: June 15, 2012 04:04PM
voodoopenguin
mattkime
Further, i expect to see brand new users inquiring about expired food.

Most of my food is dead.

Paul

Only MOST? Let me guess, you've tried Gagh (Klingon delicacy...)?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 15, 2012 04:12PM
I'm reasonably sure that much of Paul F's food is seething with life.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: June 15, 2012 04:14PM
Yours is too.. you just don't like to admit it! grinning smiley

Wait, weren't we talking about someones thumb, here?

(And for the record, that's NOT on my menu...)

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: June 15, 2012 04:31PM
Where's the Meh girl when we need her?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 15, 2012 05:34PM
MartyStickle

she cut her thumb

Posted by: PeterB
Date: June 15, 2012 06:07PM
MartyStickle

She was busy preserving the sexy.

But seriously ... yes, it was me who had the sliced thumb in a previous post (which the OP might have found by Googling). In retrospect, I wish I had done something soon enough to avoid or at least minimize the scar.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 06:08PM by PeterB.
Date: June 15, 2012 06:10PM
You still going on about that? Dude, in a year, you won't even be able to see it!
And chicks dig scars anyway... as long as you make up something cool about how you got it.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 15, 2012 07:21PM
Paul F.
You still going on about that? Dude, in a year, you won't even be able to see it!
And chicks dig scars anyway... as long as you make up something cool about how you got it.

No disrespect Paul, but I still have scars from things in college that I stupidly did, for which I wished I had attended to the cuts properly and promptly, otherwise I might not have the scars.

Posted by: adamant
Date: June 15, 2012 07:23PM
PeterB
Paul F.

No disrespect Paul, but I still have scars from things in college that I stupidly did, for which I wished I had attended to the cuts properly and promptly, otherwise I might not have the scars.

Are you a hand model?
Date: June 15, 2012 07:38PM
adamant
PeterB
Paul F.

Are you a hand model?

No, I just play one on TV. grinning smiley

Date: June 15, 2012 08:43PM
No disrespect taken... And none in return, but you must scar more easily than anyone i've ever met...
Have you considered marrying above your station and taking up a life of luxury where injuries are much rarer? grinning smiley

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 15, 2012 08:55PM
Paul F.
No disrespect taken... And none in return, but you must scar more easily than anyone i've ever met...
Have you considered marrying above your station and taking up a life of luxury where injuries are much rarer? grinning smiley

It's not so much that I scar easily, as that my skin is fair enough that the scars show up more obviously. (I now have what appear to be permanent scars on both lower calves from mosquito bites...) And yeah, maybe I do have unusually sensitive skin, because it's also a problem for shaving, etc. ... I find that I cut pretty easily, have lots of allergies, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2012 08:56PM by PeterB.
Date: June 15, 2012 10:47PM
I'm not so sure of the "chicks dig scars" thing. I created some epic scars (primarily on my forehead) during high school and the "chicks" mostly said "eeewwwww!!!!".

Date: June 16, 2012 12:02AM
Dude, that's high school.... They'll drop their panties for some jock on a last place team, and you could take a bullet for the president and they'd say "OMG, eeeww your shirts all dirty!"

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: June 16, 2012 04:21AM
davester
I'm not so sure of the "chicks dig scars" thing. I created some epic scars (primarily on my forehead) during high school and the "chicks" mostly said "eeewwwww!!!!".

Just a tiny shift into the bizarre and this would have been a perfect Jack D post.

Date: June 16, 2012 12:31PM
PeterB
Paul F.

It's not so much that I scar easily, as that my skin is fair enough that the scars show up more obviously. (I now have what appear to be permanent scars on both lower calves from mosquito bites...) And yeah, maybe I do have unusually sensitive skin, because it's also a problem for shaving, etc. ... I find that I cut pretty easily, have lots of allergies, etc.

Honestly, I think vanity is the issue. As long as it's not my face, minor scars do not concern me in the least. I don't think I've ever looked at the back of my calves...
Date: June 16, 2012 03:12PM
hal, it's not so much vanity as it being hard not to be self-conscious of the scars, etc. And it's true that what bothers one person might not bother another.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 57
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014