advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Go to bed g/d it
Posted by: h'
Date: December 12, 2005 12:51AM
I'm approaching serious hot water status for being late to work.
Anyone have any tips on how to get up on time, and how to keep your momentum?

I seem to have settled in to being exactly 1/2 hour late . . .

Tips appreciated.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Go to bed g/d it
Posted by: bfd
Date: December 12, 2005 01:00AM
…get started half an hour earlier?

If you're sleeping in, hit the sack 1/2 an hour earlier…
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 12, 2005 01:20AM
Find a job you can't wait to get to.
Posted by: pinion
Date: December 12, 2005 02:14AM
Insist that your shift stars at the time you show up. Quote that line from the first LOTR movie if need be.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: December 12, 2005 03:02AM
h' Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm approaching serious hot water status for being
> late to work.
> Anyone have any tips on how to get up on time, and
> how to keep your momentum?
>
> I seem to have settled in to being exactly 1/2
> hour late . . .
>
> Tips appreciated.

I feel your pain. When they wanted me there at 8:00, I got there at 8:20. When they said OK- 8:30 is fine, I got there at 9:00. I got promoted and set my start time as 9:00 and low-and-behold, I arrived at 9:20 every day.

My company finally moved to flex time. As long as we were there during "core hours" (10-3) we were good to go. All regular meetings had to be scheduled within core hours. Only "business urgent" meetings could be scheduled outside of core hours and even then it was 9-4. I put in more hours per week once my time was flexible. If I had a Dr. Appt, I would get there at 6:30 AM and leave early. When I was hung-over I would get there at 10:00 AM and stay late. Of course, this doesn't work with shift-work.

Now I work for myself: I work, sleep, eat and play when I want.

BT

Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: December 12, 2005 03:22AM
If you really need to get out of bed, put your alarm clock across the room so there is NO way you can turn it off without getting out of bed.

Another tactic I learned in High School was to set my alarm exactly 10 minutes before the time I absolutely had to leave the house, in this way if I did not get up and do everything I needed to do IMMEDIATELY, I would be late for school. Knowing that I had no extra time, I would not be tempted to get back in bed for 'just a few more minutes'.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: December 12, 2005 06:47AM
It's all mental . . .

Make your mind up to do it and it will happen. But YOU have to make it happen. No magic potions here.

:-)

Posted by: mick e
Date: December 12, 2005 06:54AM
Drink a half-bottle of Dewars and go to bed early?

Unpaid Social Liaison
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: December 12, 2005 06:55AM
Sorry. This time of year, I barely sleep 2 hours.
Posted by: dmann
Date: December 12, 2005 08:33AM
I have a very good friend who was chronically late. One day, early in her career, a mentor at work said to her, "When you are late, it just shows that you think that your time is more important than anyone else's and your agenda is more important than anyone else's. It is rude, not just annoying, to make others sit around and wait for you."

She was mortified. She is one of the most thoughtful people I know and this just really hit her hard.

She started by timing her normal routine- particularly the one she followed on a workday morning. She timed EVERYTHING- taking a shower, walking the dog, brushing her teeth, her commute, etc.

She found out that she had no real concept of how long it took to do anything. Everything ran longer than she thought it did. She cut her 25 minute showers to 15 minutes by putting an alarm clock in the bathroom and USING it, etc. That quick sip of coffee that took 2 seconds suddenly became 10 minutes of real time.

It was not a complete solution to the problem, but it sure made things much better. Now, if she is late at all it is never more than 5 minutes or so and she ALWAYS calls to say she is running late. That never happened before.

Good luck-
DM
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 12, 2005 09:48AM
dmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> She found out that she had no real concept of how
> long it took to do anything. Everything ran longer
> than she thought it did. She cut her 25 minute
> showers to 15 minutes by putting an alarm clock in

25 minute shower?!? Day-um! She should be pleased with the savings on water & electricity as well!
Posted by: h'
Date: December 12, 2005 12:01PM
I think rgr hit the nail on the head . . . although the truth is more like a combination-- I don't really feel like anyone's depending on me to be there at a certain time, and that it has much of an effect on my work if the whole thing gets shifted a bit.

I've had a second alarm clock across the room for years-- don't even have any awareness of the act of getting up to shut it off and jumping back into bed each day.

When I was in high school I had a 25 WPC stereo, 12" 3-wayt speakers, in a smallish bedroom, set to 2 O'clock on a timer to get me out of bed in the morning. I'd end up yelling at my brother over the noise to get him to shut it off.

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020