Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Drobo hooks up Thunderbolt
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 21, 2012 12:12PM
[news.cnet.com]

"Drobo announced today two new Thunderbolt storage drives, its first that, on top of the traditional two Thunderbolt ports, also come with a USB 3.0 port. In fact, these are among the first Thunderbolt storage devices from any vendor that also support USB connectivity. This means you can use the drives with your existing computer, be it a Windows PC or a Mac, and keep them for use with future systems that support the Thunderbolt standard.
The two new drives are the Drobo 5D and Drobo Mini, with five bays and four bays respectively. The 5D supports five 3.5-inch (desktop) hard drives, to offer up to 16TB of protected storage space, while the Mini can house four 2.5-inch (laptop) hard drives or solid-state drives (SSDs), to offer up to around 3TB of protected storage space. The two drives' storage space is limited by the capacities of existing hard drives on the market, which is 4TB for 3.5-inch hard drives and generally 1TB for 2.5-inch hard drives."
"Both drives come with any extra mini bay on the bottom to host an mSATA SSD for its SSD-accelerated feature, designed to speed up the data rate of the internal drives to match that of the Thunderbolt connection, which caps at 10Gbps. Dobro says that the Mini has a new drive bay design that makes it possible to install and replace the internal drives without using any tools.
The two new Thunderbolt drives will be available for purchase by late July, with the pricing starting at $650. The storage is not included in the price but a Thunderbolt cable is. This is going to be another first since so far none of the Thunderbolt storage devices on the market have included a Thunderbolt cable."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Drobo hooks up Thunderbolt
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 21, 2012 12:24PM
Interesting. I hope they figured out how to make their "beyond RAID" fast. The interface type was never the problem with Drobo. They were just plain slow processing data to the drives.

Edit: I really like the Mini. Could be fun loaded up with SSDs.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 12:24PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: June 21, 2012 12:34PM
C(-)ris
Interesting. I hope they figured out how to make their "beyond RAID" fast. The interface type was never the problem with Drobo. They were just plain slow processing data to the drives.

Well, back when it was USB2 & FW400 only, the interface was a bottleneck well. But with newer interfaces, their slowness is even more apparent.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: June 21, 2012 12:43PM
C(-)ris

no crap. I remember when they added FW800 ports while still trickling data into the USB2 port.

but this is what really drove me crazy....

ITS WHAT THEIR CUSTOMERS WANTED

they wanted a connector. they wanted a fast connector. they couldn't be bothered if the data transfer would be the same rate.

Date: June 21, 2012 12:52PM
mattkime
C(-)ris

no crap. I remember when they added FW800 ports while still trickling data into the USB2 port.

but this is what really drove me crazy....

ITS WHAT THEIR CUSTOMERS WANTED

they wanted a connector. they wanted a fast connector. they couldn't be bothered if the data transfer would be the same rate.

Matt, it's business. It kills me too to see this, but this is the way business works. It's based on perception, not reality.

It's like people who add ground effects, spoilers, big wheels... to their car to make the faster, but the added weight actually makes them slower. They only care about the perception of fast, not the reality.

Posted by: richorlin
Date: June 21, 2012 12:57PM
I have a 4-bay firewire 8 Drobo with four 2TB drives. I love the reliability but boy, it IS slow. Constantly grinding away because I put my Time Machine backup on one of the partitions.
The thought of Thunderbolt is sort of mouthwatering but at $650, Drobo can forget me as a customer for the new models.

Has anyone had any experience with the new WD MY BOOK Thunderbolt duo? 6T for under $550 is sort of tempting. Which would be safer; RAID 0 or RAID 1. The WD can be configured either way: mirroring or striping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 12:57PM by richorlin.
Date: June 21, 2012 01:11PM
richorlin, RAID0 is less safe than a single drive. It's only for performance, there's no redundancy.

Personally, my next move will be to get an older Mac Pro and fill it with drives. I had a RAID5 for years, but the size of drives now is big enough I just put some in and setup time machine or CCC so I have versioned copies. The advantage over of a RAID1 is that not only are you protected against drive failure, but data corruption and file deletion.

My current build is a Hac which works well but the parts were given to me - not specifically selected for a Hac - and it's not fun to deal with. Though it does hold six drives quite nicely.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 21, 2012 02:17PM

How 'bout Apple hooking up Thunderbolt for Mac Pro's... ?

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: robfilms
Date: June 21, 2012 03:12PM
Buzz

///

agree smiley

be well.

rob
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: June 21, 2012 03:13PM
Buzz

///

Why bother, unless you're going to use it with an overpriced Apple monitor, thunderbolt is pretty useless.

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Date: June 21, 2012 04:21PM
colonel panic
Buzz

///

Why bother, unless you're going to use it with an overpriced Apple monitor, thunderbolt is pretty useless.

It's only $100 more than the Dell. Who makes a similar monitor at a lower price?

Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 21, 2012 06:42PM
colonel panic
Buzz

///

was kinda thinking to hook up a TB Drobo to a MP...

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: June 22, 2012 12:02AM
Buzz
colonel panic
Buzz

///

was kinda thinking to hook up a TB Drobo to a MP...

///

Okay, fair enough.

"They don't call me Colonel because I'm some dumb a$$ army guy" Colonel Homer J. Simpson
Date: June 22, 2012 10:06AM
M A V I C
colonel panic
Buzz

///

It's only $100 more than the Dell. Who makes a similar monitor at a lower price?

^^^

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 121
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020