advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Textbook - was in ComicLife
Posted by: roshi
Date: June 21, 2012 01:48PM
For the past couple years, I have been cranking out a handbook-manual for my workshops in Comic Life, because it is a handy way to make charts and graphs. But once the document got to be over 50 pages, ComicLife started choking and messing up in different ways.

The manual is about 100 pages, 70 pages of charts and images, 30 of bullet-point text.

I need to be able to email a PDF from the program and have it printed wherever I am, and secondarily have the PDF available to the students to read on their devices.

I need to decide on the best program:

1. Go to PAGES
2. switch to KEYNOTE and print and export to PDF from there
3. switch to iBooks Author

What do you recommend I rely on as the program to handle the content?
I definitely need to be able to print physical textbooks and export to PDF to send to printers.

(I actually got frustrated with the tools and just put the manual up on a website, svarasa.com, because Rapidweaver can handle anything.)

(I write books in InDesign, but I don't know how to use it well enough to toss all this imagery into it.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Textbook - was in ComicLife
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 21, 2012 01:56PM
Tossing imagery into indesign is easy. Just drag it onto a page from the finder. If you already do books in ID, you're halfway there.

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: June 21, 2012 02:01PM
If you already have InDesign and use it for text that is hands down the best tool for what you want to do.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 21, 2012 02:06PM
If you really *want* to keep using Comiclife, could you technically split the book into two volumes ? That gives you a 'basic' and 'advanced' booklet.

If your audience is sufficiently upscale, authoring it as an iBook may win you a wider audience and a more Apple-karmic experience.
Posted by: btfc
Date: June 21, 2012 02:07PM
You could stick with Comic Life and split your handbook-manual into two parts, which can be joined later.

"If you already do books in ID, you're halfway there."

Yes, at some point you should learn more about ID.
Date: June 21, 2012 02:07PM
Missed it by that much.
Posted by: roshi
Date: June 21, 2012 03:30PM
OK, I am playing with tossing PDFs and png files into an InDesign document, and the images look blurry on the page. Trying all sorts of images.

There must be a setting in InDesign - or maybe I have to store the original image in a folder that I tell ID about, and the "image" in the document itself is just a placeholder?
Date: June 21, 2012 03:41PM
[help.adobe.com]
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: June 21, 2012 03:42PM
Go to View > Display Performance > High Quality Display.

The higher the quality you display the slower InDesign runs. You're just seeing an optimized version that is the best compromise between display and performance. It's got nothing to do with how the file will output.

I've got mine set to Typical. I'll switch to HQ just to see if it looks right or if I really need to line something up visually. Then switch back to Typical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2012 03:44PM by bazookaman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 120
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020