advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple Makes It Rain On Employees After NYTs Story
Posted by: chopper
Date: June 26, 2012 10:11AM
Looks like they can get an early copy of Snow Eel.

Wait, is that a benefit?

[www.latimes.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple Makes It Rain On Employees After NYTs Story
Posted by: space-time
Date: June 26, 2012 10:16AM
one month early, for something that will sell for $20. now THAT is a benefit
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: June 26, 2012 10:19AM
Apple's email to Genius Bar members regarding the program went out on June 21.

NYT article published on June 23.

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Posted by: mikebw
Date: June 26, 2012 10:28AM
oh snap smiley
Posted by: graylocks
Date: June 26, 2012 10:33AM
space-time
one month early, for something that will sell for $20. now THAT is a benefit

it's a perk. a gesture. something that might make someone smile if only for a sec in an otherwise hectic day. i'd appreciate it if i worked for Apple.

and multiplied by the number of Apple employees, yes it's a drop in the bucket to Apple but i'd sure love to have a bucket like that.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: June 26, 2012 11:55AM
pinkoos
Apple's email to Genius Bar members regarding the program went out on June 21.

NYT article published on June 23.

Apple is aware well in advance when unflattering media stories are coming out from outlets like the NYT. They are contacted for comments, after all.

"In the last week, the Cupertino, Calif., company has been giving all sorts of new benefits to its retail store employees, from testing new software, discounts on top of discounts for hardware and, on top of it all salary increases."

Undoubtedly that last part is the most appreciated, whether it is a reaction to bad publicity or something in the works for a while isn't clear.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: June 26, 2012 12:16PM
Apple is aware well in advance when unflattering media stories are coming out from outlets like the NYT. They are contacted for comments, after all.

And that's no reason to assume that anything Apple is doing is based on that article.

They may be "well aware" of any article, but that doesn't mean somebody will divulge its contents to get a comment.

Apple giving perks is just as likely if not more so related to what they've encouraged FoxConn to do for its employees.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: June 26, 2012 12:19PM
I would feel special. Oh, so special.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Date: June 26, 2012 12:34PM
RAMd®d

And that's no reason to assume that anything Apple is doing is based on that article.

They may be "well aware" of any article, but that doesn't mean somebody will divulge its contents to get a comment.

Apple giving perks is just as likely if not more so related to what they've encouraged FoxConn to do for its employees.

We're in agreement.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: June 26, 2012 01:30PM
No chance this article had anything to do with what Apple is doing. Just as Apple knows about articles a little before they hit the street, policies are formulated long before they are announced as well.
Posted by: Fred_Also
Date: June 26, 2012 02:41PM
Apple didn't do this out of benevolence. Just think all their employees will have a month to learn S/L before it comes out and they are hit with a bunch of questions about it.

Of course if they need me to answer a few questions, they can send me a copy & I'll help all my friends and neighbors when it comes out.

Fred
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: June 26, 2012 03:00PM
Fred_Also
Apple didn't do this out of benevolence
No way to know the main motivation. Benevolence, convenience and self interest are not always mutually exclusive or at odds with one another.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 26, 2012 03:24PM
chopper
Apple Makes It Rain On Employees After NYTs Story

No, chopper, Apple made it rain on Apple Store employees well before the NYT story:

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 26, 2012 03:26PM
Lemon Drop
Apple is aware well in advance when unflattering media stories are coming out from outlets like the NYT.

The dates were June 18 and June 24. I don't think Apple knew about the bullsh!t story six days before publication.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 26, 2012 04:50PM
Article Accelerator
Lemon Drop
Apple is aware well in advance when unflattering media stories are coming out from outlets like the NYT.

The dates were June 18 and June 24. I don't think Apple knew about the bullsh!t story six days before publication.

For a story that has probably been researched for many months, I'm betting they certainly did know about it.
Date: June 26, 2012 05:10PM
This is a pretty fascinating case study in corporate PR. It can't be known, because Apple won't say, if these programs they are rolling out this week are in response to the criticisms in the NYT article, or moves that were planned before. But the timing is suspicious, for sure. It's highly unlikely that they didn't know about content of the article in advance. This wasn't a sting operation by the NYT, just pretty normal business reporting that involves verifying details with the company involved, therefore the company knows what is being investigated.

"Apple is expected to release more details of the program soon, but in the meantime, Nine to 5 Mac reports that Pathways will put new hires in training during their entire first year at the company.

The change will affect new and current first-year employees. Apple will create a new position in which one employee at each store will be focused solely on Pathways and other forms of training.

Pathways also comes after Apple gave its retail employees several new benefits. Last week, the company gave abnormally high raises in addition to $500 Mac and $250 iPad discounts along with early tests of its upcoming operating system, Mountain Lion.

Although the raises were expected and the discounts had been previously announced by CEO Tim Cook, they arrived sooner than expected and their timing, as well as that of the discounts, were suspicious considering the New York Times article.

Apple did not respond to a request for comment."
[www.latimes.com]
Posted by: IronMac
Date: June 26, 2012 06:21PM
There is a movie called Page One released last year about the NYT. It may give more insight in to how long it takes to get an article out.
Date: June 26, 2012 06:38PM
After a quick skim over the NYT article, I counted approximately 13 people that the writer interviewed. Having had direct experience in finding and interviewing people in a similar situation, I'd say that the article would have taken about a week if not more to put together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 06:39PM by IronMac.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 26, 2012 07:30PM
Here's a video of the author of the article which answers your questions. You can jump to 4:15 if you are impatient.
[video.nytimes.com]

Date: June 26, 2012 10:25PM
$tevie
Here's a video of the author of the article which answers your questions. You can jump to 4:15 if you are impatient.
[video.nytimes.com]

Very interesting Stevie, thanks. Anyone interested in this topic should definitely watch that interview.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: June 26, 2012 11:05PM
I'd say that the article would have taken about a week if not more to put together.

the amount of research (calls, calls back, calls not answered onsite interviews, walking into Apple stores, meeting for coffee, etc) that it takes to research - and then to write - a story of this size would take FAR longer than a week.

the author confirmed what I speculated about in an earlier post, it took at least four months.
Date: June 27, 2012 05:10AM
Then, this guy really works slow! I was just reading a WSJ article where the writer talked to people within Google and Motorola and it took him about 3 weeks to write that article.

Anyways, it looks like the case that Apple was prompted by the impending article is pretty strong.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: June 27, 2012 08:43AM
The author has a column in the Times plus he's a staff writer/reporter plus he writes for other publications. It isn't as if this Apple article was all he was doing for four months.

Not having seen the WSJ article, I have no way of knowing if the length ans scope of the article is equivalent, or if the WSJ writer did the whole thing with phone interviews.

Speed is not necessarily admirable when one is supposed to be gathering information.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 237
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018