advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Flash Panned ! Adobe abandons Mobile Flash support... says HTML5 is the wave of the future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: June 29, 2012 08:21AM
[blogs.adobe.com]

"Beginning August 15th we will use the configuration settings in the Google Play Store to limit continued access to Flash Player updates to only those devices that have Flash Player already installed. Devices that do not have Flash Player already installed are increasingly likely to be incompatible with Flash Player and will no longer be able to install it from the Google Play Store after August 15th"

- - -
Your Droids shall cease to be Flashy shortly..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Flash Panned ! Adobe abandons Mobile Flash support... says HTML5 is the wave of the future
Posted by: vision63
Date: June 29, 2012 08:59AM
Droids are just the Verizon phones.
Re: Flash Panned ! Adobe abandons Mobile Flash support... says HTML5 is the wave of the future
Posted by: deckeda
Date: June 29, 2012 09:27AM
The good news is that's it's not easy to get an Android phone updated to current software! Irony, that.

[arstechnica.com]
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: June 29, 2012 10:55AM
Steve is smiling from the grave.

Which is a shame… I think he’d have enjoyed that almost as much as the Dell thing.
Date: June 29, 2012 11:44AM
Jimmypoo

Which is a shame… I think he’d have enjoyed that almost as much as the Dell thing.

You're living in some alternative universe where somehow Google is struggling and Android is a bust. Open your eyes boy.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: June 29, 2012 12:52PM
Flash is far from my favorite technology, but I will miss the ability to watch Amazon Instant Video on newer devices. Flash works well enough for the occasional video, perhaps Amazon will switch to HTML5 or release an actual Android app for their video service?
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: June 29, 2012 12:59PM
vision63
You're living in some alternative universe where somehow Google is struggling and Android is a bust. Open your eyes boy.

In the meantime...

Apple's iPhone takes 75% worldwide of cellphone profits

Now that's an eye-opener!
Date: June 29, 2012 01:44PM
Article Accelerator
In the meantime...

Alright, Apple products cost their consumers more! YEAH! Nice! Awesome! Wait…why do I care how about Apple's profit margin?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2012 01:51PM by silvarios.
Date: June 29, 2012 02:14PM
silvarios
Article Accelerator
In the meantime...

Alright, Apple products cost their consumers more! YEAH! Nice! Awesome! Wait…why do I care how about Apple's profit margin?

The profits come mostly from the blue smoke and mirrors of carrier fees. Less from actual sales where Apple's marketshare is being rapidly usurped by the Android juggernaut. Apple would be the most profitable even if they didn't sell a single iPhone based on that.
Posted by: (vikm)
Date: June 29, 2012 05:22PM
There's no shame in admitting you (no one specific) were wrong. Seriously.
In fact, I've more respect for a person or company if they do.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: June 29, 2012 05:50PM
Ok, but does that mean Adobe will now try to take over HTML5 with their own bastardized version?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: June 29, 2012 07:58PM
vision63
Jimmypoo

I'm pretty sure Jimmypoo's comments were referring to Steve''s opinion of Flash, NOT Google/Android.
Date: June 29, 2012 08:58PM
DeusxMac
I'm pretty sure Jimmypoo's comments were referring to Steve''s opinion of Flash, NOT Google/Android.

I think you may be right.
Date: June 29, 2012 11:25PM
silvarios
DeusxMac

I think you may be right.

Then I take it back.
Date: June 30, 2012 01:23PM
silvarios
Article Accelerator
In the meantime...

Alright, Apple products cost their consumers more!

I prefer to think of it as customers being willing to pay more for something they perceive as having more value.

why do I care how about Apple's profit margin?

I can think of three possible reasons:
1. You believe the company is important and its continued viability depends on its profitability
2. Greater profitability allows more and better product development and availability
3. You're a shareholder; greater profitability leads to better ROI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2012 01:36PM by Article Accelerator.
Date: June 30, 2012 01:34PM
vision63
silvarios
Article Accelerator
In the meantime...

The profits come mostly from the blue smoke and mirrors of carrier fees. Less from actual sales where Apple's marketshare is being rapidly usurped by the Android juggernaut.

Those carrier fees are an arrangement between the carriers and their customers, i.e. a form of time payment arrangement for the hardware. In most cases, carriers pay Apple the full cost up front.

Regarding Android's market share: I think that to a increasing extent, Android and iOS are not serving the same markets. Android's unit volumes are now coming primarily from the sale of devices that are sold as default (generic phone) models or feature phones; iOS phones are targeted explicitly to customers desiring smart phones. There are plenty of indicators to back up that contention, not the least of which is the relative profitability of the two platforms. Other indications include Web traffic statistics, application sales and related statistics, significant differences in customer loyalty between the two platforms, and ad revenues.
Posted by: digby
Date: July 01, 2012 09:03AM
Why oh why couldn't Adobe have addressed the problems with Flash head-on back when they first encountered them? If Flash had been lean well-coded software, Steve Jobs (and many others) wouldn't have gotten their undies in a bundle about it.

It would have taken some programming. I was under the impression that Adobe employed programmers...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 188
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018