advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do You Wash and Re-use Your Ziploc Bags?
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: July 09, 2012 05:18PM
Poll
Do you usually wash and re-use your ziploc style bags?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
70 votes were received.
Yes 36

51%
No 34

49%

My mom got me started washing and re-using ziploc style bags whenever they are not overly gross or stained.

I even now have a drying rack thing that came from Amazon. It is designed to dry bags among other things.

I do it #1 to reduce the plastic I'm disposing of, and #2 to save money.

A single box of Ziploc bags will last a couple years, and we use them very very often!

[www.zeemaps.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do You Wash and Re-use Your Ziploc Bags?
Posted by: Z
Date: July 09, 2012 05:21PM
I need the option of 'sometimes'.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: July 09, 2012 05:28PM
No way, not if you put anything that will or may spoil in it. I don't think it's as easy to get into the corners as it would be with a plastic container.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 05:28PM by IronMac.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Tha'ts why I put the word "usually" in there. I figured you either usually do, or you don't get to say you do. winking smiley

As I stated, I *sometimes* don't. Either because the bag is gross from whatever it held, or just because I'm feeling lazy. For some reason, the ziplocs that need to be washed always sit in the sink waiting longer than any other dishes.

[www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: rgG
I store mostly dry things like bread or blueberries in them, so I definitely reuse them. Most of the time, they don't need to be washed, just shook out.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 05:29PM by rgG.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: July 09, 2012 05:30PM
The UnDoug

agree smiley

Mostly because I hate the thought of putting perfectly good plastic into a landfill...
Posted by: billb
Date: July 09, 2012 05:30PM
I rinse some out occasionally

but not wash like clothes / dishes

it's probably barely cost effective although environmentally conscionable in terms of landfill volume

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: July 09, 2012 05:37PM
The bigger, heavier duty style if they're not grimed up usually get multiple opportunities. The small, single zipper, cheapo sandwich bags are pretty much one and done.

///

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: $tevie
Date: July 09, 2012 05:38PM
This thread has got me thinking. I always thought of rinsing out a ziploc bag as something Depression-era survivors would do, but now I feel stupid that I never thought about the recycling aspect of doing so.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 09, 2012 05:41PM
Really appreciate your efforts to reduce plastic waste, I attempt to do the same. I wash and reuse the gallon size zip locks but try to avoid using them at all.

Sack lunch waste is a huge source of plastic garbage. I started using natural wax paper sandwich bags instead of plastic zip locks, my Mom used these when I was a kid. They're great. Non-toxic and reusable sometimes too.
This company is rather passively-aggressively named "If you Care," good quality stuff though.
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 09, 2012 05:46PM
yes, the freezer ones, which are heavier, and if not to crudded up. They usually get bread/muffins and other dry goods. Or veggies and I can rinse them out.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: July 09, 2012 05:58PM
Buzz
The bigger, heavier duty style if they're not grimed up usually get multiple opportunities. The small, single zipper, cheapo sandwich bags are pretty much one and done.

///

same here. don't usually re-use any if they've stored meat, though.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: July 09, 2012 06:08PM
I'm irritated that plastic grocery bags are now illegal here. And there's also an additional tax on paper ones. We always reuse those, multiple times. Now we have to buy bags to haul groceries in, and bags for the stuff we used to reuse the other bags for. That means we have to buy more bags than before, and they get reused less.

They claim they did this for environmental reasons, but now I'm creating more waste than before so I don't really understand how this is supposed to help.

We reuse ziplock bags fairly often. If they've been used for food, they usually don't get reused for food, depending on what was in them. I've got some in my camera bag for rain protection - they've been used once for food.

A bigger waste, IMHO, are computer peripherals, electronics, appliances... which used to last a very long time, but now either wear out extremely fast and treated pretty much as disposable, or are quickly rendered useless by software changes (eg PC bluray drives.)

My brother had the same microwave for 20+ years, then it died. He's now gone through three in two years. They're not made to last anymore.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: vicrock
Date: July 09, 2012 06:16PM
M A V I C
I'm irritated that plastic grocery bags are now illegal here. And there's also an additional tax on paper ones. We always reuse those, multiple times. Now we have to buy bags to haul groceries in, and bags for the stuff we used to reuse the other bags for. That means we have to buy more bags than before, and they get reused less.

They claim they did this for environmental reasons, but now I'm creating more waste than before so I don't really understand how this is supposed to help.

We reuse ziplock bags fairly often. If they've been used for food, they usually don't get reused for food, depending on what was in them. I've got some in my camera bag for rain protection - they've been used once for food.

A bigger waste, IMHO, are computer peripherals, electronics, appliances... which used to last a very long time, but now either wear out extremely fast and treated pretty much as disposable, or are quickly rendered useless by software changes (eg PC bluray drives.)

My brother had the same microwave for 20+ years, then it died. He's now gone through three in two years. They're not made to last anymore.

agree smiley
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 09, 2012 06:16PM
....you can do this with toothpicks too......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: July 09, 2012 06:39PM
Special rack in dishwasher also in washing machine. Car wash not so much.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: Racer X
Date: July 09, 2012 06:39PM
M A V I C

I forget which store we were in, but we could buy a heavier duty plastic bag like the old disposable ones just outlawed, for 20 cents!?!? soapbox smiley

We used the old ones to dispose of the kitty litter. We now shop more in Shoreline, because we can get the bags up there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2012 06:42PM by Racer X.
Posted by: sekker
Date: July 09, 2012 06:46PM
"Sometimes"
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: July 09, 2012 07:58PM
SDGuy
The UnDoug

agree smiley

Mostly because I hate the thought of putting perfectly good plastic into a landfill...

same here. I *hate* the thought of all the junk we generate on a daily basis and where it all ends up.

one caveat regarding the zip-loc bags: it's a lot easier to wash the heavier duty bags. I tend to throw out the real flimsy sandwich baggies.
Posted by: Manlove
Date: July 09, 2012 08:34PM
I used to use plastic bags from the shopping as bin liners for the garbage. Now I have to buy plastic bin liners. Not sure If I save the planet or not.
And for my daughters lunch we have a wash and go sandwich wrap, secured with velcro. Wash it, dry it and use next day. Had it for a few years. She's still alive so it works okay. !
Posted by: motopsyco
Date: July 09, 2012 08:52PM
Sometimes, if I've store dry items in them. I don't if I've used them to store vegetables or meats, like pork, chicken, puppies, and kittens, stuff the spoils easily.

BTW, kittens give Morbo gas.

[kittensgivemorbogas.ytmnd.com]

Cheers!
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 10, 2012 12:40AM
we wash and re-use the heavy duty larger zip-lock bags.

Someone who used to volunteer in Africa told me how she could not get ziplock bags over there and she had to wash and re-use which seemed like a big deal to her.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 10, 2012 01:11AM
No one seems to be aware of leeching from plastic to food, for that reason alone plastic anything is probably not the healthy choice.

Most plastic products, from sippy cups to food wraps, can release chemicals that act like the sex hormone estrogen, according to a study in Environmental Health Perspectives.

Most plastic products, from sippy cups to food wraps, can release chemicals that act like the sex hormone estrogen, according to a study in Environmental Health Perspectives.

NPR

the rest
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: July 10, 2012 01:12AM
+1 for the waxed paper bags. Its what we use, and we do reuse them too.

Also less toxic to your body, especially if you're heating food in those plastic bags.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: GeneL
Date: July 10, 2012 03:37AM
This thread reminds me of something a beautiful young Irish girl once told me, many years ago…

…"you can tell that you're in Scotland when you see tissues and toilet paper hanging on the line."

Just saying… oh snap smiley

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 10, 2012 04:32AM
GeneL
This thread reminds me of something a beautiful young Irish girl once told me, many years ago…

…"you can tell that you're in Scotland when you see tissues and toilet paper hanging on the line."

Just saying… oh snap smiley

I think we need a new poll
Posted by: caronrichard13
Date: October 29, 2013 04:29AM
I wash ziploc bags max 2 to 3 times.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 163
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018