advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Google Failed. Maybe MRF can help?
Posted by: space-time
Date: July 14, 2012 04:07PM
we found this little baby bird in sidewalk, obviously lost or perhaps even sick. I shoot a few pictures before I tried to protect it as the poor creature was crossing the street (luckily no cars came) and finally it squeezed under a gate into somebody's yard.

I would like to know what bird it is. I tried google image search and I don't think the results make sense

So here I am hoping someone one MRF can identify it. FWIW, this was in Romania (in the unlikely case it's a species present in Europe but not in North America)

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Google Failed. Maybe MRF can help?
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: July 14, 2012 04:33PM
A little sparrow maybe?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: July 14, 2012 04:38PM
Beak looks robin-like.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: July 14, 2012 05:09PM
I'd guess a European sparrow. Should be plenty of adults around to compare with - color and size. Probably a wing injury, which would lead to starvation, eventually.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: DP
Date: July 14, 2012 05:49PM
That's the one thing I hate about Spring-seeing the youngins that won't make it. I was driving down my street and there was a small dot in the street. It was a young robin that was lost and I scooted it out of the street-didn't touch although it was looking at me like I was it's parents. I hope there was a good outcome but that's heartbreaking to see.
Posted by: Acer
Date: July 14, 2012 06:16PM
I agree the beak looks American Robin-ish. American Robins are in the thrush family; what Europeans call robins are not thrushes.

Anyway, check Song Thrush.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I don't know any more about them than what I just read in the wiki, but there's a pic of a juvenile similar to the OP pic.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 14, 2012 06:21PM
African or European swallow?
Posted by: bruceko
Date: July 14, 2012 06:34PM
Baby Starling?
Starling

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 06:40PM by bruceko.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: July 14, 2012 09:25PM
Laden or unladen swallow?

Looks like a robin to me as well.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: rgG
Date: July 14, 2012 09:48PM
deckeda

That is what I was waiting for!

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: RgrF
Date: July 14, 2012 11:17PM
The scowl might tend to make it either Eastern European rural or Parisian urban.
Posted by: decay
Date: July 15, 2012 07:03AM
deckeda

are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

---
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: July 15, 2012 04:11PM
I sent the link to my daughter, Sarah. She writes,

James and I agree it looks like an American Robin relative. It looks very much like a fledgling European blackbird, which is in the same genus as the American Robin (Turdus), and is also likely because it is so very common. Here's a photo we found on Google:

[www.wildliferanger.co.uk]

However, looking at the checklist for birds of Romania, they have 7 species in the genus Turdus, and they might look similar as fledglings. There are also other members of the thrush family that it could be but we still think the blackbird is a pretty good bet.

Also a couple general points:

"FWIW, this was in Romania (in the unlikely case it's a species present in Europe but not in North America)"

Not really unlikely, since there are a great many birds present in Europe that would not be found in North America, and vice versa. We were just comparing the bird species checklist for Romania to the Eastern North American birds with which we are familiar. It is very interesting. There is actually more overlap than I would have expected in some groups of birds. The usual field guides don't discuss worldwide distribution, just distribution within the range of the guide, so this information is often overlooked.

"Probably a wing injury, which would lead to starvation, eventually."

That bird looks like a recent fledgling, which is not yet ready to fly. It might be able to flutter up to a low branch but not more than that. Many bird species routinely leave the nest before they can fly, and their parents continue to feed them while they hide out in bushes, etc. If you see a fledgling like this that is not flying, but otherwise looks all right, just let it alone. It's fine. If it's in immediate danger from a road, or a cat, you can move it a short distance but don't take it very far because it still needs its parents, and they are probably close by. If you just take it across the road or whatever, it will peep and the parents will find it.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 149
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020