advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $106.98 ( -0.36 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can you send files to another Dropbox user's account, without a shared folder?
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 17, 2012 11:40AM
I'm getting an odd request (from someone I know) that doesn't make sense, so I thought you could read their mind for me. Thanks!

It sounds sorta like they want it emailed to their Dropbox account but the only functionality I'm aware of for that is via their API (and third-party apps.)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can you send files to another Dropbox user's account, without a shared folder?
Posted by: clay
Date: July 17, 2012 11:51AM
Not directly.....but you can send them a link to a file in your dropbox by right clicking and getting a link, then email the link. Or, just setup a shared folder.
Re: Can you send files to another Dropbox user's account, without a shared folder?
Posted by: stephen
Date: July 17, 2012 12:10PM
Doing it via link prevents them from having to have an account, or have enough space in their account.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: July 17, 2012 12:14PM
This would be for a bunch of images from different people shared/sent to a master account owned by someone else. I'm not seeing how to do it without each user having an account and individually-shared folders. The master account owned by someone else would have a long list of shared folders and need the requisite storage space. Am I missing anything here?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: July 17, 2012 01:26PM
....would it be called the DROPzone.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: StingMe
Date: July 17, 2012 03:35PM
Maybe they weren't thinking of "Dropbox" the company but of a more generic "drop box" solution - that is, a publicly accessible directory into which people can "drop" files.

Generally, permissions are restricted so that files cannot be manipulated by others, only the owner. Of course, this typically requires files to be transferred via FTP, etc.

How about setting up a new Gmail account to accept all of these images as attachments?

An even better solution might be using a photo sharing service's email to upload option - the owner creates an account and sends everyone the secret email address to upload photos. SmugMug, Flickr, Picasa, etc. all have this feature. SmugMug also has a "Guest Uploads" feature.

SmugMug: [help.smugmug.com]
Flickr: [www.flickr.com]
Picasa: [support.google.com]

Another option would be to install a file upload script on a web server...but that's a little more complex.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login