advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Housecleaning
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: July 24, 2012 06:09PM
What are the dangers of having a private person clean our house every other week instead of a company. Instead of 140 it would be $80
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Housecleaning
Posted by: colonel panic
Date: July 24, 2012 06:30PM
Diddling your maid.

Posted by: GGD
Date: July 24, 2012 06:56PM
colonel panic
Diddling your maid.

Posted by: rz
Date: July 24, 2012 07:14PM
Dangers? I'd say the dangers are about the same (theft mainly). Most companies that do house cleaning are bonded and insured. If their employee steals, you could probably go after the company. If they accidentally burn your house down, again you could go after the company. They probably also screen prospective employees to make sure they don't have a criminal record. That doesn't mean that if you hire a company that you won't get a criminal who might steal from you or burn your house down. But unless you REALLY know the private person well, you might get a con artist.

I'd really love to get a house cleaner to come in, but we got burned by someone who we thought we could trust so my wife refuses. We have a really good friend who has cleaned one of our rentals for us, but she no longer lives nearby.
Posted by: pbarra1
Date: July 24, 2012 07:24PM
This is a private citizen that lives in town and the au pair would be home while they cleaned.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: July 24, 2012 07:41PM
I've used people from CraigsList to clean my home for almost 10 years. Just normal folks, students, people in need of a second gig. I've never had one single issue. Zero theft. All great people.

The whole "we're bonded" thing is over-rated.

EDIT: same with lawn care, house painters, fixit guys, repairs of all kinds.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 07:42PM by tuqqer.
Posted by: tenders
Date: July 24, 2012 10:09PM
May I add some perspective. We had an individual housekeeper who had worked for my wife's family and us for close to 25 years and whom we trusted implicitly with our stuff. She fell off of our stepstool while cleaning our house. We weren't home at the time. Her leg was broken severely, she was hurt in the house for more than an hour before she could get to a phone, an ambulance was summoned, and she sued us for medical expenses.

I'm sure she was within her rights to do this. I don't doubt a word of her story although in our (irrelevant) opinion there was no particular reason for her to be on a stepstool in the first place. My wife and I spent several days terrified that we would be liable for damages beyond our insurance coverage and beyond our ability to pay. As it turned out my insurance company USAA handled the entire situation with about three phone calls to me and we didn't hear another thing about it.

My point is that it is not just about theft. A housecleaning company shows up with its own equipment and takes its risk with its staff; we aren't on the hook if an accident happens.

As part of the settlement the housecleaner cannot work for us or any other USAA policyholder, but in any event we will never have an individual housecleaner again. And when the housecleaning company shows up we put our valuables away, where they ought to be anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018