advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
RAM for a 2011 mac mini...any luck with the sub-$100 options from Amazon/Newegg? Or best to go with OWC?
Posted by: clay
Date: August 08, 2012 08:49PM
I know there have been some sales on RAM that works with the 2011 mac lineup (mini, mbp, imac), and am curious to hear from those of you that use these machines with the "off brand"/"not mac-certified" options. I'm looking at this option: [amzn.com] for $88 for a 16gb set vs. $154 for same capacity from our sponsor: [eshop.macsales.com]

Is the $88 stuff OK, or should I run away to OWC?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: RAM for a 2011 mac mini...any luck with the sub-$100 options from Amazon/Newegg? Or best to go with OWC?
Posted by: Black
Date: August 08, 2012 08:50PM
I bought the RAM I added to my mini off some guy from LEM list.
Turns out I'd actually met him in my tenant's apartment downstairs!

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Re: RAM for a 2011 mac mini...any luck with the sub-$100 options from Amazon/Newegg? Or best to go with OWC?
Date: August 08, 2012 08:56PM
what brand/capacity is the ram you got, Black? How's it working out for you?
Posted by: Black
Date: August 08, 2012 09:04PM
Working fine, every day. I thought of upgrading to 8 but the SSD made that unecessary.

Here's the original post:
===
C S wrote:
> These are apple (hynix branded) RAM modules that are a pull from a 2009 Macbook Pro unibody. 2 x 1gb chips. They were tested upon receipt of the computer, then promptly removed when the computer was upgraded. This is PC3-8500 memory and will work in other compatible systems.
> I'd like $32 shipped for these, or MAKE AN OFFER. They'll ship the cheapest USPS--probably parcel post, anywhere in the US.
> I'll accept paypal, check, MO, and payment will need to clear before shipment. Reply offlist to cxxxsxxxxxxxx@gmail.com to express interest.
> Thanks!
> C S
> Harrisonburg, VA 22802

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Date: August 08, 2012 09:08PM
as it turns out, I found this deal: [transintl.com]

$76 + $8 shipping = $84 from another solid mac retailer. Will probably go that route unless something better comes along.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: August 08, 2012 09:15PM
You can't go wrong with any of the three choices (all lifetime warranty), so I'd go with the cheapest: Corsair is a great brand, so you're good there, too.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: August 08, 2012 09:40PM
My 1st set of RAM from Trans Int'l was bad, but it was an easy RMA/swap. Also put Patriot RAM (purchased from Amazon) in a friend's MBP. Works fine as well.
Date: August 09, 2012 11:52AM
thanks, all. I went ahead and ordered from TransIntl. As you mentioned, they all have lifetime warranty, so I'm not too worried. I've had issues over the years with RAM from just about every retailer/manufacturer, so my thinking is that cost isn't necessarily an indicator of quality. I will do a thorough Memtest when it arrives, though.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 243
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020