advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Boot SSD on FW 800 for new Mini
Posted by: roshi
Date: August 12, 2012 06:37PM
I thought I was going to replace the internal drive in my new Mini with a 480 GB SSD. But having watched four different installation videos, I think taking the whole mini apart is too tricky for me. I am comfortable replacing drives and upgrading memory in Mac towers (of course) and MacBooks, but wow there are a LOT of steps with the Mini.

Anything wrong with just booting the Mini off a FW 800 OWC case, with the 480 GB SSD in it, and leaving the internal drive as storage?

I'll add the 16 GB of RAM I ordered from OWC, but other than that, not take the Mini apart.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Boot SSD on FW 800 for new Mini
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: August 12, 2012 06:39PM
Nothing wrong, but I think it takes a speed hit.
Posted by: Black
Date: August 12, 2012 06:46PM
Nothing wrong, and you won't notice any speed hit.
Doing it on two macs and it's glorious.

New forum user map 8/2015: [www.zeemaps.com]
Posted by: roshi
Date: August 12, 2012 09:11PM
You have an external SSD on two Macs?
Posted by: bobalu
Date: August 12, 2012 10:03PM
I have just that setup on my 27" IMac and it is pure goodness compared to running off of the internal HD

Oroville, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2012 10:04PM by bobalu.
Posted by: stuartbell
Date: August 12, 2012 11:23PM
I don't think there would be any speed it. But, it would have been better if you make storage on SSD beacuse its fast and more secure than HDD.

Thanks
Date: August 13, 2012 01:29AM
roshi
You have an external SSD on two Macs?
Yup, external boot drives via FW 800 on a 2009 Mini and a 2010 iMac.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2012 01:30AM by Black.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 13, 2012 12:37PM
I'm running an ssd as an external usb2 drive on my iMac - and it's MUCH faster than the internal hard drive.
Posted by: Z
Date: August 13, 2012 01:48PM
Getting ready to join the FW800 external boot club on my 2006 iMac... Amazon tells me the SSD is in the mail...
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 13, 2012 02:05PM
Roshi,

I recently upgraded the RAM in a 2008 era Mac Mini. Never again! Ever! It was such a pain in the butt that I literally snipped off some of the "latches" so, in the event I ever have to go into the machine, it'll be much easier. I needed to use a pairing knife and two plastic putty knives to get the case open. This aspect of the job took over an hour and both putty knives were ruined in the process.

The RAM upgrade was easy enough after getting the case open and removing the few screws necessary to get access the innards. However, getting the screws back into place was a pain in the butt. You need a long thin philips head screwdriver, preferably a magnetic model. And a pair of tweezers to connect the NVRAM/PRAM battery cable again. Since I didn't have a long, thin magnetic screwdriver handy, it took another twenty or so minutes to get the screws back into place and tighten them.

I have two more minis to upgrade and while I'm sure I can do the same job in far less time now, it just isn't worth it. All in all, I'd rather pay a tech to do the job than do it myself again.

Fortunately, the local Micro Center does upgrades for a very fair price. smiling smiley

I should have also added, if the newer flavors of the Mac Mini are as much of a pain to open as the 2008 model, then I'd pay to have someone do the upgrade for you. Absolutely no doubt in my mind.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2012 02:15PM by Robert M.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: August 13, 2012 03:52PM
Robert M
However, getting the screws back into place was a pain in the butt.

That right there tells me that you were putting them back into place in the wrong place.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 13, 2012 04:13PM
Tom,

Absolutely, positively, incorrect. I made sure to put the screws into small containers, each labeled appropriately to ensure I restored them into their proper locations.

Robert
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: August 13, 2012 04:17PM
In jest, I meant that there was possibly a reason you were experiencing a pain in your butt.
Date: August 14, 2012 12:31AM
Z
Getting ready to join the FW800 external boot club on my 2006 iMac... Amazon tells me the SSD is in the mail...

You're gonna be blown away. Try it via USB2 first just for kicks-- you won't believe how snappy that is.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DP , jdc , raz , sekker , sydric
Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020