advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Food tip: buy this instead of sour cream-
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: August 13, 2012 04:59PM
Fage "Total" yogurt. The whole milk/cream version Is -surprisingly- virtually identical to really good sour cream in taste and consistency. 10 grams total fat per 7 oz tub. Sour cream has about that much fat per tblspn...

I'm picky about these things, and find the reduced fat sour creams inedible.
Plus the Fage has no garbage ingredients in it. Available in most bigger upscale supermarkets.
(note it does not advertise whole milk anywhere on the container, but can be identified by being the version withOut the 1% or 2% designation)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2012 05:02PM by Psurfer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Food tip: buy this instead of sour cream-
Posted by: $tevie
Date: August 13, 2012 05:01PM
I am definitely going to give that a try. I love that brand of yogurt but never thought of using it in place of sour cream. And yes, most low fat sour creams are pretty bad.

Date: August 13, 2012 05:07PM
Get ready for a treat. I'll never get straight sour cream again. And since it's yogurt, you can eat it w/lemon, etc w/no curdling. Next I'm going to post a question, for a similarly decent alternative to mayonnaise.
Posted by: dmann
Date: August 13, 2012 05:09PM
I hate sour cream and have been using Greek yogurt in its place for a while. If you haven't tried it yet- do it!!!! Best thing about Greek yogurt IMHO is the high protein count.

DM
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 13, 2012 05:15PM
Psurfer,

Fage Total is my favorite Greek-style yogurt. I use it in place of sour cream and cream cheese. I'm on a strict low-carb diet and even use it for desserts.

Here's my favorite dessert:

Take a tub of Fage 2%. Add some Torani Sugar-free Vanilla syrup (awesome stuff!), add some plain ol' original stick style Fiber One cereal. mix it all together. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

The reason I use Fiber One is because it's got the most fiber and lowest number of carbs of any cereal I've seen on the market.

Torani, BTW, makes very sugar-free syrups for flavoring. The Sugar-Free Vanilla is one of the best on the market and does not taste sugar-free at all. The sugar-free chocolate isn't bad but it's not as good as the sugar-free vanilla.

I often mix the sugar-free vanilla and sugar-free chocolate into unsweetened almond milk (Blue Diamond is the best!) and make the equivalent of a Black and White milkshake. 'course, the stuff is great in regular milk, too.

MIO sugar free flavor enhancers for water also work nicely in Fage.

Robert
Date: August 13, 2012 05:26PM
Yeah, I'm finding more uses for it lately, too. Originally bought as sour cream alt to go on a sweet potato, now I eat it w/fruit, use as ingredient for salad dressing, etc. Goes w/ just about anything.
btw, It's pretty thick, not cream cheese-thick, but you can turn a loaded spoon upside-down and it's not going anywhere.
Posted by: August West
Date: August 13, 2012 06:16PM
I've used the 0% for sour cream for ages. I'm going to try making some spreadable, flavored cheese, strained through cheesecloth, with it.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: August 13, 2012 06:24PM
dmann
I hate sour cream and have been using Greek yogurt in its place for a while. If you haven't tried it yet- do it!!!! Best thing about Greek yogurt IMHO is the high protein count. DM

agree smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: August 13, 2012 07:44PM
We've been buying the plain Fage Greek Yogurt for a while to use instead of sour cream; great on tacos, baked potatoes, etc. Great stuff!

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: freeradical
Date: August 14, 2012 10:01AM
I make my own crème fraîche.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 14, 2012 10:47AM
Despite the greek name, its mostly produced in upstate new york.

i add some high protein (and conveniently not as sweet) granola for a post workout snack.

Date: August 14, 2012 11:38AM
freeradical
I make my own crème fraîche.

-SWEET Jesus!
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 14, 2012 01:59PM
....thought you were going to say whipped CREAM......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: guitarist
Date: August 14, 2012 03:35PM
Whole cream and sour cream and other natural fats are a lot less of a contributor to health problems and obesity than sugar and flour. Hasn't the "low fat" diet myth been successfully debunked yet? It's been reviewed, a lot, lately. Seems every month the NYTimes has a new article citing more evidence revising the misguided benefits associated with focusing on "low fat" consumption. It's the carbs, the sugar, the flour, not the fat, to watch out for. A glass of milk, or a bowl of yogurt, is more carb-rich than a few spoonfuls of sour cream, or a crest of whipped cream.

And those little containers of flavored yogurt are the worst, people get those thinking it's the healthy choice! Some--especially if they have granola, or fruit flavors-- contain as much sugar/carbs as a great big glazed cinnamon roll. It would be healthier to eat a few strips of bacon and an egg or two. No joke, low carb diets are healthier than low fat diets. But for those that follow these things, this isn't news.

Go for the real thing! Sour cream is good!

Yogurt is a good substitute, for flavor reasons, I think. I use it too, especially when making a creamy dressing, like blue cheese, with lemon juice and gorgonzola or Danish blue cheese. I'll sometimes use a little of both, blend sour cream with a little yogurt for a nice tart taste. I love the texture of Greek yogurt.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 15, 2012 03:05PM
Guitarist,

The low-fat diet isn't a myth. Foods high in fat contribute to a slew of health issue,s i.e. heart disease, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, etc. So, replacing a low-fat diet with a low-carb diet is trading one problem for another.

But, I am in agreement with you that high carbs - not necessarily just sugar and flour but carbs in general - is a major contributor to health problems and it wouldn't surprise me if it's more of a problem than fat when it comes to health issue.

The key to yogurt is plain. Go with plain yogurt and it's low-carb. Want flavor? Mix some sugar-free syrup in it such as those made by Torani or a water flavor enhancer like MIO. Both have 0 or 1 carb (if I remember correctly) and turns plain yogurt into a nicely flavored yogurt. Ultra low-carb.

Want some crunch, use FiberOne cereal or, if you can find it, low-carb granola. I just recently found some at netrition.com. Same goes for sugar-free barbecue sauce. Just tried Guy's smokey garlic flavor and it's excellent! Even my wife, who isn't on a low-carb diet (but tends to eat low-carb because I cook low-carb) enjoyed it!

Robert
Posted by: guitarist
Date: August 21, 2012 10:10PM
Robert,

Dietary fat plays a far less significant role than previously thought. Heart disease, high cholesterol, etc., are not meaningfully improved by traditional low fat diets. Dietary fat and cholesterol production in your body are not even directly linked. Trading a low fat diet for a low carb diet is not trading one problem for another. A low fat diet that ignores other dietary factors just isn't helpful to someone with high cholesterol or heart disease. The low fat diet advice that's been peddled and promoted --by official sources, too--is being systematically reconsidered, debunked, and updated, but is taking a while to undo decades of misdirected information. It's too bad, too, for many trying to be healthy, or lose weight, it's been like going into battle facing the wrong way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 218
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020