advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anti-virus software
Posted by: WishMac
Date: August 15, 2012 11:30AM
Wanted to ask what is the recommended or most popular anti virus software to purchase for a Mac desktop and laptop.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anti-virus software
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 15, 2012 11:42AM
Hi WishMac - welcome to the forum

Here are a couple recent threads to get you started.

[forums.macresource.com]

[forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: August 15, 2012 12:08PM
ClamXav, and it's free.

[www.clamxav.com]

Jeff
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 15, 2012 12:23PM
One thing we should point out;

Historically, the Mac OS has NOT been subject to many viruses.... actually, I think the current count is "zero".

So though it's a good idea (because this record will probably NOT last forever), it's not a critical-immediate need. It's more useful to keep you from inadvertantly passing along Windows affecting viruses to PC using people you may interact with.

Take some time to test a few of the free ones, and see which ones annoy you least while doing their job.

I like Sophos home edition (which is also free).

And welcome!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 12:24PM by Paul F..
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 15, 2012 02:06PM
WishMac
Wanted to ask what is the recommended or most popular anti virus software to purchase for a Mac desktop and laptop.

You've already got it. It's OS X. Congrats!

[www.apple.com]

Its efficacy at protecting your system is evidenced by (as Paul mentioned) the utter lack of in-the-wild viruses and other forms of malware.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2012 02:12PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: JEBB
Date: August 15, 2012 03:33PM
If there are no known Mac viruses what is an antivirus going to protect you against?
Posted by: michaelb
Date: August 15, 2012 03:40PM
I don't have a recommendation, since I should do something myself. I have something free but it isn't running currently.

But I think it is misleading for some on this forum to suggest that Macs are no longer vulerable. There have been several malware attacks on Macs over this past year, and they no longer require admin and password authentication to install or infect. So while software "viruses" may be a small or nonexistent threat, malicious code on websites or inside downloaded files is very much a real threat now.
Posted by: silvarios
Date: August 15, 2012 06:08PM
michaelb
But I think it is misleading for some on this forum to suggest that Macs are no longer vulerable. There have been several malware attacks on Macs over this past year, and they no longer require admin and password authentication to install or infect. So while software "viruses" may be a small or nonexistent threat, malicious code on websites or inside downloaded files is very much a real threat now.

Ding, ding, ding.
Posted by: DewGuy
Date: August 15, 2012 07:24PM
It's free and unobtrusive...Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: August 15, 2012 07:43PM
Sophos - definitely a step or three above the others right now.

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 16, 2012 09:20AM
After the last executable scare, I installed Sophos (the free version) on my two Macs. So far it hasn't done anything that I can tell, but I guess that's good.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: GGD
Date: August 16, 2012 11:53AM
silvarios
michaelb

Ding, ding, ding.

Do any of these Virus protection products prevent some undiscovered new threat from occurring? Or do they require an update after the fact to remove an infection or prevent an uninfected system from being infected?

If it's the latter, then how does that differ from what Apple has been doing?

It seemed like the bulk of what these products report are word macro viruses, or windows executables in SPAM emails. Maybe that gives users a warm feeling that the product does SOMETHING, but those things are not improving the security of the system.
Date: August 16, 2012 12:21PM
GGD
silvarios
michaelb

Ding, ding, ding.

Do any of these Virus protection products prevent some undiscovered new threat from occurring? Or do they require an update after the fact to remove an infection or prevent an uninfected system from being infected?

If it's the latter, then how does that differ from what Apple has been doing?

It seemed like the bulk of what these products report are word macro viruses, or windows executables in SPAM emails. Maybe that gives users a warm feeling that the product does SOMETHING, but those things are not improving the security of the system.

Here's the features page for Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac, you be the judge.
Date: August 16, 2012 12:49PM
DewGuy

That seems like a bunch of fear based marketing, with not much technical info on what it is actually capable of doing. In fact it has many of the same traits as a Trojan Horse, just install this free software on your computer, giving it admin access, and it will do good things for you, trust us.

Is there anyone here that is using it with first hand experience of it catching a Mac virus (not flagging things that only impact Windows) when running on a Mac with all Apple software/security updates installed. If so, exactly what was the threat that it caught?
Date: August 16, 2012 01:03PM
GGD
DewGuy

That seems like a bunch of fear based marketing, with not much technical info on what it is actually capable of doing. In fact it has many of the same traits as a Trojan Horse, just install this free software on your computer, giving it admin access, and it will do good things for you, trust us.

Wow! No need to reply here. I don't run Sophos either, but wow! Likening Sophos to a Trojan when it does exactly what it says it will do. How can one begin to reply constructively?
Date: August 16, 2012 01:06PM
Why the harping on viruses when it also protects again Trojans and worms? I would love for it to stop rootkits as well, but that feature seems absent.
Date: August 16, 2012 01:46PM
silvarios
Wow! No need to reply here. I don't run Sophos either, but wow! Likening Sophos to a Trojan when it does exactly what it says it will do. How can one begin to reply constructively?

I'm not saying that it is, just that it asking users to do exactly what it's saying is the type of bad behavior that it's trying to protect them against.

Do you use it? Has it actually caught anything on a fully updated system?

That's what I'm trying to understand? If you put two identical fully updated Macs side by side, one with Sophos and one without, how many real world examples can you show (assuming a user with about the same savvy as the typical member of this forum, not a total idiot), where the unprotected system will be successfully attacked, while the Sophos system will not?
Date: August 16, 2012 01:56PM
GGD
silvarios

I'm not saying that it is, just that it asking users to do exactly what it's saying is the type of bad behavior that it's trying to protect them against.

Do you use it? Has it actually caught anything on a fully updated system?

That's what I'm trying to understand? If you put two identical fully updated Macs side by side, one with Sophos and one without, how many real world examples can you show (assuming a user with about the same savvy as the typical member of this forum, not a total idiot), where the unprotected system will be successfully attacked, while the Sophos system will not?

I don't think anyone here has that answer, but after seeing that there were something like 600,000 Macs infected with that Java thing (whatever the proper name for it was, I can't remember), which I didn't have, I decided that I didn't want to unknowingly infect my Mac with whatever comes along next that may get past my due dilligence. At least with Sophos, I feel like someone who understands all this malware crap is looking out for me and hopefully will interecede on my behalf when I don't know enough to protect against whatever it might be.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: August 16, 2012 02:25PM
Little snitch may be better overall for monitoring for some of these threats, but that costs money. I may buy it in the end. Sophos and other software may help with web based malware, but it is not that clear how much. Apple was real slow to react to the threats this year, taking weeks or months to issue a patch. So the virus software may be updated much, much faster.
Date: August 16, 2012 02:45PM
michaelb
Little snitch may be better overall for monitoring for some of these threats, but that costs money. I may buy it in the end. Sophos and other software may help with web based malware, but it is not that clear how much. Apple was real slow to react to the threats this year, taking weeks or months to issue a patch. So the virus software may be updated much, much faster.

I wouldn't know what to look for with something like Little Snitch. How much value programs like Sophos have is yet to be proven for most of us, but I do know that it's frequently downloading updates. In the case of the Java threat (for lack of a better word) I know they had information and if I remember correctly removal instructions (and maybe even a tool) long before Apple was even acknowledging that it existed, let alone that it was a threat and had infected many Macs or had a fix available for Java. Up until recently I went with the party line that Macs don't get infected and never ran any anti-virus software, but I think that the Java thing has proven that our platform can be vulnerable and with the increased popularity of Macs that may become more common. Outside of when Sophos is downloading updates (my DSL's not very fast) I never even notice it's running so I figure better safe than sorry.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: August 16, 2012 03:29PM
Does Sophos have a scheduled scan option? I don't see the option.

/Mr Lynn
Date: August 16, 2012 04:04PM
mrlynn
Does Sophos have a scheduled scan option? I don't see the option.

/Mr Lynn

Go to the Sophos Icon in the menu bar, click Open Sophos Anti-Virus... on the bottom left side of the window click the triangle next to Custom Scans here you can create a custom scan as well as schedule it.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: August 16, 2012 04:06PM
GGD
silvarios
michaelb

Ding, ding, ding.

Ding, ding, ding.

Yep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020