advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $105.22 ( +0.39 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How well do "Command Hooks/Strips" work?
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: August 31, 2012 07:16PM
I see all of these ads these days for "Command Hooks" and "Command Strips" made by 3M, I believe.

They're hooks of various types with some type of adhesive strip on the back that you put on the wall to hold it in place. You're supposed to be able to remove the strip (and thus the hook) with no damage to your wall.

How well do they work? Specifically, how easily can they be removed, and do they cause any damage when you do so?

I presume they have weight limits to which one must adhere (no pun intended), in order to keep the hook from pulling off the wall.

Any comments/thoughts are appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How well do "Command Hooks/Strips" work?
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: August 31, 2012 07:22PM
We've used them on windows to hang Christmas wreaths on, no problems and easy to remove.

Grateful11
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 31, 2012 07:22PM
son got a Hot Wheels kit (yes, I am ON TOPIC, darn it) which stick to the wall with these 3M Command Strips. The kit cam with 2 extra strips. We had to remove one to change the position. Easy to remove, no damage to the paint. I never used them before or since, but I would not hesitate to buy some when I need. I have a very good impression so far.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: August 31, 2012 07:35PM
Work well enough if you follow directions, and usually release cleanly when you want to take them down. This even included hooks I took down at work this summer that were put up several years ago. One thing I have learned, if you are using them to hold up something that weighs more than about 50% of the rated maximum, stick them up and wait overnight before hanging up the object.
Posted by: Pam
Date: August 31, 2012 07:43PM
I used one on my covered deck to hang a sculpture. It's on vinyl siding and has been exposed to all of the heat and humidity of summer. Hasn't faltered. We'll see what happens over the winter.
Posted by: zero
Date: August 31, 2012 07:48PM
They rock.
Use em.
Posted by: Chakravartin
Date: August 31, 2012 07:52PM
Beware of surface-area issues. When possible, go one-size larger than you think you'll need to support the weight of the object you're hanging.

Don't stick them to surfaces that are poorly painted or have many layers of paint. I've had them pull off of walls and take paint with them where the paint wasn't primed properly to adhere to the wall.

When removing them according to instructions by pulling slowly at the exposed-tab hanging under the backer, the last inch or so tends to peel off all at once and snap the plastic part with bruising force right onto my knuckles. YMMV.

With all that in mind... I've got dozens of the hooks and friction-connectors deployed around my apartment. I've used them for years from one apartment to the next -- and re-used them with spare adhesive strips. They're worth every penny.
Posted by: space-time
Date: August 31, 2012 08:01PM
like Hookers and Strippers
Posted by: testcase
Date: August 31, 2012 08:07PM
I've put up several in my camping trailer. 2+ years now, no problem. I've never tried to remove any yet. Follow package directions.
Posted by: sekker
Date: August 31, 2012 08:14PM
zero
They rock.
Use em.

Ditto
Posted by: Acer
Date: August 31, 2012 11:33PM
I had one stuck to a melamine cubicle wall with all manner of objects hung on it for at least five years. I recently removed it and it came off easily with no visible mark. They are as good as they say, in my experience.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: September 01, 2012 04:47AM
I used one on the edge (vertical) of a table to keep my MBA charging cord from falling down behind it. It couldn't handle the differing strain (as in when I'd unplug and let it drop vs pulling up on the cord to plug it in). In fairness, I guess that wasn't the intent of the product - more for a static load without direction changes. Also, the edge of the table was highly polished.
Posted by: davec
Date: September 01, 2012 12:36PM
University of Oklahoma only allows Command Strips for mounting posters, etc. on dorm room walls. The walls have been painted with a gloss paint. Once we followed the directions, and throughly wiped the attachment point on the wall with rubbing alcohol, the Command Strips worked well. Of the many strips we placed, only one removed a small amount of paint.

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login