Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
F.U. - And a little help required configuring my new NIC Card
Posted by: ItsMeAlison
Date: August 02, 2006 11:14AM
Hi all,

Following up on this thread from yesterday (Please forgive me if the link is not clickable):
[forums.macresource.com]

The good news: The old 10BT hub that I had connected to my printer and broadband connection is out of the loop and now my Optimum Online cable connection is AMAZINGLY FAST. It is now connected directly to my Dual 867's built in ethernet port. (By the way, I'm running 10.4.6) The hub only supported 10BT, not 100BT as well so I guess that was holding it back since the network will only go as fast as the slowest device/connection available.

The new network card is installed and the system profiler sees it, but my printer which is connected directly to it is not found or recognized. I've done a Cold Reset on the printer so everything is set back to factory defaults.
What can I be doing wrong ? I'm so used to just plugging stuff in and having it immediately and automagically recognized and configured.
I'm not quite sure how to manually configure the IP address and gateway and all that stuff. Will I need to do that myself ?
One thing I haven't tried yet is a crossover cable as suggested in the previous thread. Maybe that could be the simple solution ? OS X/Apple hardware is smart enough to make a network connection without needed a required crossover cable, but since this is an added non Apple PCI card, maybe that does not apply and I DO need the crossover cable...

Can I get some help configuring this PCI network card to recognize my printer ?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: F.U. - And a little help required configuring my new NIC Card
Posted by: elmo3
Date: August 02, 2006 11:19AM
(hint: never start a thread title with "FU")

Your Network preference pane will let you set the settings of each individual network adapter--but you must choose the network adapter in that pane first.

---------------

In the words of DharmaDog: "it may or may not be utter horse@#$%&, but it shouldn't be dismissed simply because it doesn't agree with your opinion."

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Trying is the first step to failure. -- Homer Simpson
Posted by: PeterW
Date: August 02, 2006 11:21AM
You are correct about the non-Apple enet port - you do need the crossover cable.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: August 02, 2006 12:01PM
I really don't believe that your internet connection is faster now. 10Mbit is very fast for an internet connection and its probably very rare to max it out.

Posted by: ItsMeAlison
Date: August 02, 2006 12:16PM
Thanks for the tip elmo3...sorry bout that.

I did select the new network adaptor from the drop down in the Network Preferences pane, but the IP address and other settings were not filled in. I tried the Refresh DHCP button. Nothing gets filled in. Does this really need to be entered manually ? How un-Mac-like...

I tried the add a printer in the Printer Setup Utility but no printer was detected.

I will give the crossover cable a try when I get home tonight.

Any more ideas ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 205
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018